Home Court Advantage Issue | The Boneyard

Home Court Advantage Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
14 Home L's from 2003-2009 and since 2010 we have 25. The student section gets weaker and weaker every year. The arenas looks half empty on TV. We basically have no home court advantage anymore. It's sad and pathetic. Any students read the boneyard that can explain this? Are the Husky Hard Cores no more? What is going on?

2003 - 2
2004 - 1
2005 - 3
2006 - 0
2007 - 5
2008 - 1
2009 - 2
2010 -4
2011 -4
2012 -4
2013 -3
2014 -3
2015 -6
2016 -1

Reaction Score
To be fair, we also have a hell of a lot more overall L's from 2010-2016 than we did from 2003-2009.

2003-2009: 56 losses in 7 years
2010-2016 (so far): 76 losses in 6+ years

Reaction Score
I was at the game. The crowd wasn't great at the beginning of the game, but the team did everything possible to kill any sustained crowd momentum. There were times when the crowd stood up started cheering trying to spur on the team, but they just weren't making any plays.

The crowd wasn't great, but this loss rest squarely on the shoulders of the players and the coaching staff. UConn's half court is by far the slowest and worst I've seen in years. Their plays simply do not create any scoring advantages, and most of the points they end up scoring are off of high risk dribble penetration. I watched the Kansas Oklahoma game the other day and from the tip off till the end of triple overtime, those two teams were executing their half court offenses two to three times faster than UConn did.

I've been a Ollie supporter from the very beginning, but I must admit I'm starting to wonder about his courtside coaching. He just sits there and watches while his team sleep walks through their offensive sets. I'm no coach getting paid millions of dollars, but I'd be giving my team an earful and telling them to run the offense at a much faster pace, or I put the next guy out there who was willing to do it. I don't know if it's lack of leadership, or someone needs to bark at their teammates to get to the right spots, or the players just simply need to be moving to the right spots at the right time. One observation that I had was after they execute their first play, for example of a pick and roll, they simply pull it back out and restart all over again. It's as if they have no secondary or third sequence to their offense. Watching Kansas and Oklahoma, when their first sequence didn't do anything, they're right into the next rotation and into the next and so forth. There wasn't this constant try something, stop, pull it out, try something again, stop, pull it out. You get the idea.

While sitting at the game, I begin to remember Calhoun standing, stomping on the sidelines, rushing over to players and getting in their faces. If a player wasn't doing what he was supposed to do, he'd pull them off the floor and sit down, where one of the other coaches would talk to them, and then send them out there again. I just am not seeing that kind of teaching technique going on by Kevin Ollie in the staff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this team needs good case of tough love. If they continue to play this way, they'll play themselves right out of the NCAA tournament and into the NIT.

I know many will point to some of the bad shooting by DHam as to why they lost, but there's a lot more to what's going on with this team.

Still a lot of ball to be played, just two games into the AAC season, and plenty of time to right the ship. KO needs to get them moving in the right direction, and soon. They can't afford to lose many more AAC home games. The away games are going to be hard enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
7pm Saturday game in Storrs should be rocking this weekend. Students back on Saturday?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
it's also imo opinion has to do more with the teams that we have had, especially size upfront. from 09-10 to now we have not had a dominant frontcourt and not dominant defenses... we have had great players but not dominant teams

Reaction Score
The issue last night certainly wasn't the crowd. The team gave zero point zero reasons for anyone to look off their smartphone.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
1. AAC competition sucks. Keeps people at home.
2. Team is not as dominant in regular season as it was during Calhoun's era. People are motivated by being ranked top 10.
3. Quality of basketball we play lately is abysmal.

Reaction Score
1. AAC competition sucks. Keeps people at home.
2. Team is not as dominant in regular season as it was during Calhoun's era. People are motivated by being ranked top 10.
3. Quality of basketball we play lately is abysmal.

I keep coming back to #1. Heck, even during the bad Perno years, I remember the Civic Center being packed for teams like Cuse or Georgetown. I'll always root for our boys and attend games, but I don't get as jacked up as I used to for the Big East teams. Like last night I kept thinking how I wish this was one of those conference games against a highly-ranked Villanova teams (the Philly thing was on my mind). I dunno, I just miss the hell out of the Big East. Even the bloated one at the end. That was some good back then.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to #1. Heck, even during the bad Perno years, I remember the Civic Center being packed for teams like Cuse or Georgetown. I'll always root for our boys and attend games, but I don't get as jacked up as I used to for the Big East teams. Like last night I kept thinking how I wish this was one of those conference games against a highly-ranked Villanova teams (the Philly thing was on my mind). I dunno, I just miss the hell out of the Big East. Even the bloated one at the end. That was some good back then.
No you are correct. But let me rephrase: playing AAC competition doesn't draw the casual fan out of their living room. Its cold, Hartford is colder, and the Fast Trak is covered in puke. Only die hards like most of us on here can come up with a reason to drive to Hartford when its 20 degrees out, get stuck in traffic, buy overpriced tickets, and watch them play a school 1500 miles away that we have no history with or care anything about. 50% of the fans in CT can't even name Tulane's team name (Green Wave folks).

The desire just isn't there. The conference is a parasite and its sucking the life out of us. Get me to the P5.

Reaction Score
No you are correct. But let me rephrase: playing AAC competition doesn't draw the casual fan out of their living room. Its cold, Hartford is colder, and the Fast Trak is covered in puke. Only die hards like most of us on here can come up with a reason to drive to Hartford when its 20 degrees out, get stuck in traffic, buy overpriced tickets, and watch them play a school 1500 miles away that we have no history with or care anything about. 50% of the fans in CT can't even name Tulane's team name (Green Wave folks).

The desire just isn't there. The conference is a parasite and its sucking the life out of us. Get me to the P5.

I think of it like this - who are the Big Dog opponents in this conference, the big names/draws, etc that you circle in red on the calendar for Game Day:

Memphis
SMU
Cincinnati
Temple (?)

Not to be a complete doosh, but back in the Big East days, I'd consider a game vs. Cincinnati to be ok (ie. not a Depaul/Rutgers/Seton Hall game) but it was still second-tier Big East. And those other teams? I'd have said you're batshyte insane if you had told me in a few short years those would be the marque conference matchups. Those are mid-majors for pete's sake.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I think of it like this - who are the Big Dog opponents in this conference, the big names/draws, etc that you circle in red on the calendar for Game Day:

Memphis
SMU
Cincinnati
Temple (?)

Not to be a complete doosh, but back in the Big East days, I'd consider a game vs. Cincinnati to be ok (ie. not a Depaul/Rutgers/Seton Hall game) but it was still second-tier Big East. And those other teams? I'd have said you're batshyte insane if you had told me in a few short years those would be the marque conference matchups. Those are mid-majors for pete's sake.
We're all mid-majors now. We get 1-2 bids per conference.

But let me add to your point. Even games vs. Seton Hall, Providence, and St. Johns (in the later years) were packed because of the history of the conference and teams. Plus not to mention, its a lot easier for Tri-State and New England area fans to go to away games. Heck, I even drove to Rhode Island and Rutgers 5 years ago to watch us give Providence/Rutgers their annual pounding at the DD Center/RAC. I sure as hell ain't taking a flight to Greenville, NC to watch the Pirates take on the Huskies. Even if both teams were ranked.

Reaction Score
The issue last night certainly wasn't the crowd. The team gave zero point zero reasons for anyone to look off their smartphone.
I always leave my phone in the car when going into a game. Whether it be basketball or football. So it's either beer drinking or pocket pool for me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While sitting at the game, I begin to remember Calhoun standing, stomping on the sidelines, rushing over to players and getting in their faces. If a player wasn't doing what he was supposed to do, he'd pull them off the floor and sit down, where one of the other coaches would talk to them, and then send them out there again. I just am not seeing that kind of teaching technique going on by Kevin Ollie in the staff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this team needs good case of tough love.

You don't see this much anywhere anymore. Kids (read parents) don't put up with it at any level these days. JC got away with it later than most, because he had the track record. But not many other guys can. Different climate.

That said, I do agree they need a bit more tough love than they're getting. Also, I'd really love to see Ollie coach every game like it was the Final Four....dude was intense in that tournament.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
14 Home L's from 2003-2009 and since 2010 we have 25. The student section gets weaker and weaker every year. The arenas looks half empty on TV. We basically have no home court advantage anymore. It's sad and pathetic. Any students read the boneyard that can explain this? Are the Husky Hard Cores no more? What is going on?

2003 - 2
2004 - 1
2005 - 3
2006 - 0
2007 - 5
2008 - 1
2009 - 2
2010 -4
2011 -4
2012 -4
2013 -3
2014 -3
2015 -6
2016 -1
This is interesting, If you look at this data it actually track global warming fairly closely. Think about it if you are warm, you get sleepy and lethargic. I blame the loss of home court advantage on global warming.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

2003 - 2
2004 - 1
2005 - 3
2006 - 0
2007 - 5
2008 - 1
2009 - 2
2010 -4
2011 -4
2012 -4
2013 -3
2014 -3
2015 -6
2016 -1
It's because these games aren't nearly as interesting as the Big East. The AAC has no rivalries (other than maybe the Civil ConFLiCT), no history and no great teams.
Gampel was absolutely rocking against Texas last year, and Florida the year before, so it's completely unfair to blame the students. It's just not the same as when we would sometimes play 3 top 15 teams in a 2 week span in the heart of January and February.

Reaction Score

Same here. My blood used to be boiling when Cuse or Pitt would come to town. I used to get so pumped but I just can't anymore playing teams like East Carolina and Tulane. Even the non conference schedule stinks. We need to do everything we can to get into the Big 12 so fans have a reason to buy tickets again.

Reaction Score
I dont want to beat a dead horse, but It just has a different feel around here the last few years. Even in the 2013-2014 National Championship year, the best memories that stand out are the Florida game at Gampel, beating Indiana at MSG, and the 6 wins in the NCAA Tournament. The AAC is not fun at all, but we have no choice but to continue to support the team and go to the games no matter who they play. I would like to see a comparison of attendance from the last 3 years we were in the Big East, and the first 3 years in the AAC.

Reaction Score
While I agree that playing in the AAC blows, I don't think it has anything to do with home court advantage. Obviously the crowds aren't as rowdy as they were in the Big East days, but the teams are also a lot worse. Losing to AAC teams is more akin to losing to mid-majors in the OOC schedule back in the day; of course, many of these teams - like Temple, Memphis, etc. - are good enough to beat us but not good enough to generate any type of urgency from either the players or fans. Sometimes, that's the worst combination.

On that note, the thing I hate the most about this conference is the way the games begin to resemble chores more than opportunities. Virtually every game UConn is expected to win - whether they've actually won those games or not is another question - and as a result winning is lukewarm and losing is disastrous. The best part about being a fan is the euphoria you feel during and after big, meaningful victories. You don't get that in the AAC...you would get it a couple times a year in the Big East even during down years. Even the games against ranked SMU teams...it's still SMU.

None of that is an excuse. For whatever reason, this team doesn't take care of business at home like some of the other elite programs, and I've been harping on that for a while. Kansas and Duke never lose at home. And while those two programs represent a possibly unrealistic standard, it sucks that we can't get there or at least close to it. Don't tell me it's just because we lose more than those programs. We lost a combined seven home games during our last two national championship seasons. Our 2014 squad lost to duck*ing Stanford and SMU.

I'd be willing to bet that, proportionately, our road record in the last ten years is more aligned with other blue blood programs than our home record (I'm open to anybody who wants to prove me wrong). At some point, it becomes a valid conversation.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I was a Freshman when we lost to Louisville at home in Double OT (2010). That game was absolutely rocking. I could say the same about Syracuse in 2011.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the student body is not going to be hyped up for a game against unranked Tulsa.

The AAC is killing our product. Fan wise, style wise, play wise.

Additionally, the way that the Athletic Department/Conference/State schedule games is abysmal. There should be NO games played in Storrs while students are on break. Yet we have a Saturday night game in Storrs this weekend.

Until we leave the AAC I would hamper my expectations. You say that students/fans should be louder than ever to help us get out of our hole, yet it's the opposite. The Administration should be working harder than ever, and I believe they are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Smaller crowds are the rule rather than the exception nationwide. The reason we have more home losses these days is because the teams aren't as good. We have more losses period.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I get pretty excited for the SMU and Memphis games and love the games vs Cinci. The Cinci/Memphis games have been hard fought both at home and on the road since joining the American and SMU has had our number but I always love beating Larry Brown

Temple is probably in its own category underneath those three with Houston and Tulsa in their own categories underneath that.

The rest are just games we have to play but I was never really thrilled to play DePaul/Seton Hall/USF etc in the Big East either

Fired Up:

SMU
Memphis
Cincinnati

Pretty Excited:

Temple

Somewhat-Pumped:

Houston
Tulsa

Meh:

UCF
USF