Holy Wow Bball Board | The Boneyard

Holy Wow Bball Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I guess it's understandable based on the fact that the recent realignment hit was soles bball based but the bball board is brutal. I tend to stick to the FB and this board and I'm glad I do. I never thought I'd say that people here actually make some sense and don't attack each other.

UConn fans need to realize that this school plays both sports and plans to do so at a high level. I think one of the bigger issues facing this fanbase is that reality. I have heard too many people who feel that football has ruined UConn (both here and away from the BY). Well I hate to break it but that new league with the C7 isn't gonna be special after a few years in existence. Football is going to put this school in the ACC and with schools who we used to be with. Will the FB be top notch? No but we'll still be better off.

I just wish UConn fans can accept that both sports are going to put UConn in a good place and they should be cheering for both teams to be successful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I guess it's understandable based on the fact that the recent realignment hit was soles bball based but the bball board is brutal. I tend to stick to the FB and this board and I'm glad I do. I never thought I'd say that people here actually make some sense and don't attack each other.

UConn fans need to realize that this school plays both sports and plans to do so at a high level. I think one of the bigger issues facing this fanbase is that reality. I have heard too many people who feel that football has ruined UConn (both here and away from the BY). Well I hate to break it but that new league with the C7 isn't gonna be special after a few years in existence. Football is going to put this school in the ACC and with schools who we used to be with. Will the FB be top notch? No but we'll still be better off.

I just wish UConn fans can accept that both sports are going to put UConn in a good place and they should be cheering for both teams to be successful.

People have to realize that the world of college athletics is dominated by football. We have to have a football program, and we have to try our best to make it the best we can. Is our "bread and butter" basketball? Yes, from the standpoint that we are considered elite on both the men's and women's sides. But to say that football has ruined anything is just ignorant, really. If anything, I could make a very easy argument that football saved us rather than ruined us. If we did not have a 1-A football team right now with over a decade of support behind it (both financially and from a fanbase perspective), we would be royally f#$ked right now. At best, we would be in the A-10 2.0, better known as the C-7. All of our sports would suffer, and we would go back to being what we were in the 70's....a regional school....

....don't let idiots get you down, UCFB...

Reaction Score
When the 4 (maybe 5) conferences withdraw basketball from the NCAA tournament and take the $1 billion a year profit with them, nonfootball fans will come around. So long as their voices are a minority, treat them as an aunt in the attic.

Reaction Score
Football didn't ruin us, not at all. What mostly ruined us so far in realignment is that football hasn't progressed enough from a fan base and success standpoint, more so fan base. The flip side is, football would not exist in its form today were it not for basketball, because that's what was used to convince the state legislature that it was possible to move the football program up to FBS.

The ultimate stupidity is to pit the programs against each other in any way as fans and resent the other. To do so only serves to further dig the hole we're in.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The ultimate stupidity is to pit the programs against each other in any way as fans and resent the other. To do so only serves to further dig the hole we're in.

This!!! Absolutely...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When the 4 (maybe 5) conferences withdraw basketball from the NCAA tournament and take the $1 billion a year profit with them, nonfootball fans will come around. So long as their voices are a minority, treat them as an aunt in the attic.

The thing I have the hardest part understanding is why or how some people are ONLY a fan of one thing or of another when dealing with a school. I'm a fan of the school. That means that I like football, basketball, hockey, soccer, field hockey, etc., etc., etc.,.....for both men and women! I'm a Husky. Period.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-years ago i lurked the bball board and fball but mostly bball. in hs i was a diehard bball fan and mad at fball the way RE showed up at my hs vs other coaches of better programs. eventually i got over it and became a huge fan. but for hs and most of undergrad there were many great bball posters on that board. the past 2 years most of them seem to have gone quiet or just to lurker status and check in at key times. the new group is ok but not as bball savy and also not very aware of whats going on with this school. the reason? goes back to the branding i bitch about. we branded everything different so it puts fans against each other somewhat identity wise and its killing us. i just can't bitch about it enough. u see 5 ppl walk into a room.
1-uc logo. u see a girls bball fan
2-uconn logo with a red u-u see a mbball fan
3-old husky dog sweatshirt-u see a old time mania fan
4-connecticut t shirt-u see a school fan but dont know what
5-block c and u see fball

that is up and i can go on and on. the students and younger fans are being brought up in a stupid branding time in the schools history.

michigan-yellow/blue, block m, rarely used logo
florida-orange/blue, block f, agressive gator thats popular
bama-red/white, script a, jumbo rarely used
texas-orange, block t, hook em logo thats popular

see hwats going on here? i hate some of the ppl running things and making decisions in storrs. its painful to think of the thought process in there heads. big publics can have special things going for them with correct branding and capturing of markets/fanbases. we FAIL that every minute we are breathing.

it starts with brand and spreads from there. your a uconn or connecticut fan of everything, not just 1 sport. thats the culture we need to breed. not girls this guys that... a texas fball fan is also a texas bball fan. he may not know wtf a foul is but he gets a emil each week in bball season telling him about the team and goes onto orange bloods and reads about the next great durant so he knows enough to pass. his tshirt tells u he cares about more than 1 sport becuase the school is branded together.

Reaction Score
Football didn't ruin us, not at all. What mostly ruined us so far in realignment is that football hasn't progressed enough from a fan base and success standpoint, more so fan base. The flip side is, football would not exist in its form today were it not for basketball, because that's what was used to convince the state legislature that it was possible to move the football program up to FBS.

I happen to think that football is so , so, so much further along than I imagined just 8 years into the BE.

And you're right, bball makes that possible.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm one of those that leans more towards basketball. However, I do agree UConn needs to play at a high level for both and get support at a high level for both. It's the future for money. Any of the Catholics or old school BE people who say UConn shot itself in the foot by trying to go play football, they don't have a firm grasp on the future. It may turn out that UConn is left in the cold, but that doesn't mean going for high level football wasn't the right call.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm an all sports fan. Lurk the bb board more than other forums with this forum being the exception. I read almost every thread there.

I don't see any large numbers of posters on the bb forum hitting UConn football with the exception of a few hitting PP. Nothing too different there than what large number of football fans feel.

The resentment is more towards conference realignment and how it broke up the BE. And most bb fans rightfully know that football has moved realignment. The destruction of the BE has greater impact for bb fans than football fans because of the duration of time, the amazing climb and the literal dominance within the conference and how that propelled the team to national prominence. The BE demise was a greater loss for bb fans then football fans hence the sour grapes towards football but not necessarily UConn football.

The level of sophistication on the bb forum has declined over the years. It isn't nearly as sophisticated as it used to be. But there are still some quality posters. caw is one of them. gurlyman is another. There are thirty to forty others. But success brings more unsophisticated people into the mix. I like it personally cause there is a something to simplistic thinking. But there is also a level of immaturity and that leads to more sniping. The posts on the football forum remind of earlier days of reading the men's bb threads. When the football teams goes through twenty more years and stays at the top for long periods, it will attract less sophisticated fans. None the less there are topics on the football forum that bring out a lot of vitriol and disharmony. The whole RE issue was every bit as antagonistic as anything on the bb forum.

No offense UCFBfan, but your op has the detrimental affect you would prefer to avoid. You perused a few threads and saw what? 6-10 who spoke negatively about football. Most of those posters were corrected if their suppositions were way off base. There are probably 400-550 men's bb fans. So it is only a small portion of the fan base and the Boneyard fan base is only a small portion of the total bb fan base. Best thing imo, if you want harmony is to be harmonious yourself. If bb fans flame so what. Inform as opposed to retaliate. I'm all for going mano-a-mano when the occasion arises. But as you point out it is foolish to create internal friction. Supporting one another is the best thing we as fans can do to help the university and the teams we like.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
There is concern about the decline in season ticket subscribers for football, but the number of football subscribers far outnumber basketball. The experience of a football game is 10 times that of going to a basketball game. I have been to our final four's and several bowl games. I am not demeaning our basketball success, but far more enjoy football. As dot many others, based on the fan following.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the only reason people even know about UConn is because of basketball

and basketball made it politically viable to build the Rent and invest 2 billion dollars to upgrade the Univ

please forgive us hoops fans for being disappointed the stuff we cherish, the stuff we're good at and the stuff that made everything possible has been torn from us

of course I'm a fan of the football team, I want nothing but success in every sport, but let's not have any pretenses about why we are where we are as a university

Reaction Score
There is concern about the decline in season ticket subscribers for football, but the number of football subscribers far outnumber basketball. The experience of a football game is 10 times that of going to a basketball game. I have been to our final four's and several bowl games. I am not demeaning our basketball success, but far more enjoy football. As dot many others, based on the fan following.
You see, this is what I'm talking about. Comparing season ticket numbers is not helpful to the betterment of UConn as a whole. First, it's a false comparison since some go to football games just for the heck of it to tailgate, second, basketball tickets cost more, and are a larger commitment of time because of the number of games, many of which are weekday nights, and third, it's not an accurate representation of which program is more popular in the state. But the underlying point is, it doesn't matter which program is more popular in the state this second, and it's sentiments like this that get us nowhere. We have the opportunity to build a significant program in football to complement our already strong fan bases in both basketball programs to offer something few universities in the country can. Pitting them against one another and proclaiming one team or fan base as better than the other does nothing but work against that goal.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

based on the "fan following"? that's pretty funny

can't imagine anything more enjoyable than beating the best teams in the country, winning the BET @ MSG in NYC, being ranked number 1, playing number 1 on a regular basis, watching your alum star at the professional level, winning national championships..................................

tailgating makes football fun, I suggest you replicate that by going to a restaurant 2 hours before the basketball game, changes the whole game day experience.

as for interest and fan base, how many BCS conference schools have a hoops board that's more active than it's football board

I'm a fan of the football team, I followed in 1AA always hoping we would make the playoffs. Enjoyed watching their early / unexpected successes, hate watching their demise under Pee Pee, but I think it's silly to suggest they're more popular than basketball

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The next school to better it's on the court/field product by leaving the Big East will be the first one to do so.

Reaction Score
Another reason: there are a lot of fans (like myself) who grew up loving UConn but didn't attend. If you're a sports fan, and you want to watch college basketball, there wasn't a UConn program to pull for (I was born in 1984). So you had a different favorite team.

I've come around on football, and am trying to care a lot more. But it certainly was made easier when I realized the team I was pulling for (ND--my dad was Catholic and grew up liking them in the 50s-60s) was a and actively hurting the BE, and therefore UConn basketball.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No offense UCFBfan, but your op has the detrimental affect you would prefer to avoid. You perused a few threads and saw what? 6-10 who spoke negatively about football. Most of those posters were corrected if their suppositions were way off base. There are probably 400-550 men's bb fans. So it is only a small portion of the fan base and the Boneyard fan base is only a small portion of the total bb fan base. Best thing imo, if you want harmony is to be harmonious yourself. If bb fans flame so what. Inform as opposed to retaliate. I'm all for going mano-a-mano when the occasion arises. But as you point out it is foolish to create internal friction. Supporting one another is the best thing we as fans can do to help the university and the teams we like.

I'm not offended at all and you are correct, I based my op on seeing a few threads where there was arguing amongst people about the destruction of the BE. To be honest, I was basing this more on my own experiences with people outside of the BY than actual BY posts in general. Too many of my friends and casual fans I know despise the FB program and with the recent events of yesterday, feel that FB was the cause and we'd be better served staying at the FCS level. Are those people not well informed? I'd say yes. I'm not saying I hate bball only fans or anything of the sort (I'm not sure if that was were you were going with the harmonious bit). What I was saying is that I just wish that UConn fans would realize that both sports are important to driving UConn athletics forward and out of this mess.

I don't plan on frequent the bball board as often as possible just because I'm not as well informed about bball as I feel I am fb. I also feel that a lot of bball posters have been here awhile and I respect that. I watch every UConn bball game but I just don't feel the need to do anything more than read the threads.

The key thing I was trying tog et at is what you stated near the end of the above quote. "It is foolish to create friction. Supporting one another is the best thing we as fans can do to help the university"

Reaction Score

presumably, we're all Uconn fans. can't we all just get along?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not offended at all and you are correct, I based my op on seeing a few threads where there was arguing amongst people about the destruction of the BE. To be honest, I was basing this more on my own experiences with people outside of the BY than actual BY posts in general. Too many of my friends and casual fans I know despise the FB program and with the recent events of yesterday, feel that FB was the cause and we'd be better served staying at the FCS level. Are those people not well informed? I'd say yes. I'm not saying I hate bball only fans or anything of the sort (I'm not sure if that was were you were going with the harmonious bit). What I was saying is that I just wish that UConn fans would realize that both sports are important to driving UConn athletics forward and out of this mess.

I don't plan on frequent the bball board as often as possible just because I'm not as well informed about bball as I feel I am fb. I also feel that a lot of bball posters have been here awhile and I respect that. I watch every UConn bball game but I just don't feel the need to do anything more than read the threads.

The key thing I was trying tog et at is what you stated near the end of the above quote. "It is foolish to create friction. Supporting one another is the best thing we as fans can do to help the university"
Conversation is primitive. Hard to convey everything perfectly and relies on the people receiving the communication to understand the communicator perfectly. That is impossible of course. In clarification I saw nothing deliberate on your part that intended to create friction. I felt the op had the unintended consequence of starting a thread in which football centric fans and basketball centric fans would start to appear and write things that would create or exacerbate a divide.

I've had discussions with people on many issues that left me feeling I was banging my head and that people were either being self destructive or were contributing unknowingly to problems. So I know where you are coming from. I was just offering a word of caution because these are potentially very difficult times for UConn's athletic future.

There are two things all of us can do who recognize the need for unity. First is to speak our truth, but not get caught up in the emotional entanglements of others. That is, not become argumentative.

Second: recognize these are emotional times for people and outside of the most jaded individuals, most people are just venting and probably not even aware of what they are saying.

Reaction Score

If god forbid some kind of scenario came up where I had to choose between UConn keeping basketball, or keeping football, I (along with probably 95% of UConn fans) would say football, and keep the basketball program. So I couldn't disagree with your post more.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think that this incredible money grab going on for football money isn't going to eventually move into basketball is nuts. It is not at all clear that schools that don't play big time football will forever be competing with those who do, or will be able to compete fairly under revised rules.

It doesn't matter if you would be willing to sacrifice football for basketball because there is too great a chance that doing so will utlimately be the end of our chance to compete in hoops.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think that this incredible money grab going on for football money isn't going to eventually move into basketball is nuts. It is not at all clear that schools that don't play big time football will forever be competing with those who do, or will be able to compete fairly under revised rules.

It doesn't matter if you would be willing to sacrifice football for basketball because there is too great a chance that doing so will utlimately be the end of our chance to compete in hoops.

Ding ding ding. Once they have spent the football money, the top tier schools aren't going to let the NCAA sell the basketball rights. There has been a soft line between the BCS and non-BCS schools. The line in the future will look more like FBS and FCS.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Ding ding ding. Once they have spent the football money, the top tier schools aren't going to let the NCAA sell the basketball rights. There has been a soft line between the BCS and non-BCS schools. The line in the future will look more like FBS and FCS.

This was the very argument Lew Perkins' made in pushing for the FB upgrade. Turns out he was right, if a decade too late. But alas, without the years immediately following the Dream Season and the WBB run in 1995, FB never gets the $$ to upgrade, so the timing was what it was. The BB schools are in for a rude awakening, unless by some means they keep the spot on Big Monday. Outside Gtown vs. Nova and maybe Gtown vs. Marquette. No conference game featuring two of the catholics will be seen on national TV. That exposure will go to the Big Publics in the B1G and ACC that get overshadowed by Duke/UNC and Ind/MSU. Expect a boost to programs like MD, Purdue, and Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom