Holy Cross' Bill Carmody retires | The Boneyard

Holy Cross' Bill Carmody retires

Reaction Score
1. The timing is tough for Holy Cross so late in the offseason. Carousel is dead and it will hurt offseason workouts

2. Interested to see what happens here. HC should compete in Patriot by snapping up solid NEPSAC kids but they don't. Bad facilities, tough admissions or both? Does anyone know?
3.Worcester is home of M.A.L., seems way too low for him but maybe if they hire the right coach with the right connections
4. Also home of Tom Moore, arguably an optimal spot if he wants to give head coaching one last go but if I were him I would stick with Hurley for our ascension

Reaction Score
If I were them I would try to hire Brewster's Jason Smith or the Northfield Mount Hermon coach straight up

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I were them I would try to hire Brewster's Jason Smith or the Northfield Mount Hermon coach straight up
I assume the Patriot League schools actually honor the admissions requirements. It's probably hard to slip a total meathead on the roster unless his mom pays someone 500k or is sleeping with the assistant coach.

Reaction Score
2. Interested to see what happens here. HC should compete in Patriot by snapping up solid NEPSAC kids but they don't. Bad facilities, tough admissions or both? Does anyone know?
I know they have a new athletic facility that's pretty nice for that level. I was at HC for a soccer game last fall and walked through it from the parking lot to the soccer field. Don't know anything about the admissions standards.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1. The timing is tough for Holy Cross so late in the offseason. Carousel is dead and it will hurt offseason workouts

3.Worcester is home of M.A.L., seems way too low for him but maybe if they hire the right coach with the right connections
4. Also home of Tom Moore, arguably an optimal spot if he wants to give head coaching one last go but if I were him I would stick with Hurley for our ascension

I attended a Patriot League school for a couple of years. They have pulled some big upsets in the NCAAs over major powers. Like the Ivy League, they're smarter than all of their opponents, unless they're playing an Ivy League team, Stanford or Rice. They play very sound, fundamental basketball. If you're lucky enough, all it takes are one or two studs and they are capable of making a big run in the NCAAs.

Incidentally, we are 21-42 vs them all time. Yes, a lot of that is ancient history. We used to play them home and away every year when we were in the Yankee Conference. I've never understood why. They had a kid named Michael Vicens in the mid 1970's who routinely ate our lunch. I think he might have been Puerto Rican. Sound familar?

At least there you're mostly immune from the recruiting cesspool among major programs. It wouldn't be a bad gig for Moore, but it's a very tough league to win, and it's a one bid league. One nice thing is if you win the regular season, all your games in the conference tourney are at home as a one seed. At HC the only team that might draw a decent away crowd is BU, so you have a great home court advantage.

As far as recruiting, you're unlikely to get kids good enough to make BB a pro career, but you can get good, smart kids who want a quality degree, and are intelligent enough to know they're not going to make a pro career in BB.

Let's not forget they had a Heisman Trophy finalist in the mid-1980's...Gordie Lockbaum. It proves you can get noticed there if you're good enough. I've always wondered why they didn't join the original Big East? I think maybe it's because it was going to involve rolling in the muck with other institutions that were adept at cheating, or at least looking the other way on admissions. Good for them.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A postscript...how could I forget Ronnie Perry, who scored 46 against us in the late 1970's? I believe that remains the most points scored by a player against us in a single game.

How did we let him get away? He was a great get for Holy Cross. I like Ronnie...pretty good analyst, and seems like he would be a great guy to have a few beers with and talk college BB. Ronnie would know the answers to all these questions.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
How can there be any disucssion on Holy Cross basketball without mentioning the 1947 NCAA Championship team that had Bob Cousy and Joe Mullaney or the 1954 NIT Tournament Champion team that featured Tom Heinsohn?

Cousy still lives in Worcester today and there is a statue of him outside the Hart Center.

Reaction Score
I attended a Patriot League school for a couple of years. They have pulled some big upsets in the NCAAs over major powers. Like the Ivy League, they're smarter than all of their opponents, unless they're playing an Ivy League team, Stanford or Rice. They play very sound, fundamental basketball. If you're lucky enough, all it takes are one or two studs and they are capable of making a big run in the NCAAs.

Incidentally, we are 21-42 vs them all time. Yes, a lot of that is ancient history. We used to play them home and away every year when we were in the Yankee Conference. I've never understood why. They had a kid named Michael Vicens in the mid 1970's who routinely ate our lunch. I think he might have been Puerto Rican. Sound familar?

At least there you're mostly immune from the recruiting cesspool among major programs. It wouldn't be a bad gig for Moore, but it's a very tough league to win, and it's a one bid league. One nice thing is if you win the regular season, all your games in the conference tourney are at home as a one seed. At HC the only team that might draw a decent away crowd is BU, so you have a great home court advantage.

As far as recruiting, you're unlikely to get kids good enough to make BB a pro career, but you can get good, smart kids who want a quality degree, and are intelligent enough to know they're not going to make a pro career in BB.

Let's not forget they had a Heisman Trophy finalist in the mid-1980's...Gordie Lockbaum. It proves you can get noticed there if you're good enough. I've always wondered why they didn't join the original Big East? I think maybe it's because it was going to involve rolling in the muck with other institutions that were adept at cheating, or at least looking the other way on admissions. Good for them.

Vicens did indeed play on the Puerto Rico National Team and IIRC was a teammate of Ronny Perry's (who, before becoming a long time TV analyst, was one of the best players in the East of his time). As for a Tom Moore going there, it depends on what he wants to accomplish with his career.

Reaction Score

Holy Cross was the major Power in New England for years
They won the NCAA tourney in 1948
Bob Cousey played there
and when UConn beat them at Worcester in 1954 it was the biggest win in our history.
That team had Tom Heinsohn and I believe won the NIT that year
HC was a big deal
I’m trusting my memory but I believe
Vicens played for a PR National Team that gave the USA fits in the Pan Am games. They won the silver medal 1979 . I think he was born in the USA but his parents were PR.
He also competed in the 1976 Olympic Games

Reaction Score
A postscript...how could I forget Ronnie Perry, who scored 46 against us in the late 1970's? I believe that remains the most points scored by a player against us in a single game.

How did we let him get away? He was a great get for Holy Cross. I like Ronnie...pretty good analyst, and seems like he would be a great guy to have a few beers with and talk college BB. Ronnie would know the answers to all these questions.
Ronnie Perry's father is a legend at HC and was (or still is?) the AD. They're very tied into HC. I don't think Ronnie was ever going anywhere but HC. I know him professionally (he works in Boston) and will ask him next time I see him.

Reaction Score
I am a UConn fan, first and foremost, but I am a Holy Cross (Class of '92) graduate. While at Holy Cross, I watched the Crusaders beat Providence and Boston College. The coach was our very own George Blaney.

This year's Crusader team relied almost exclusively on sophomores. They could be decent next year. If I were them, I'd try to get Brad Soderberg, Tony Bennett's top assistant at UVA. He's not likely to be interested. I would also give a call to Andy Toole at Robert Morris. Tom Moore has Worcester ties. His phone may ring here.

Reaction Score
Ronnie Perry's father is a legend at HC and was (or still is?) the AD. They're very tied into HC. I don't think Ronnie was ever going anywhere but HC. I know him professionally (he works in Boston) and will ask him next time I see him.
"Following his graduation from Holy Cross, Perry was drafted by both the Chicago White Sox in the 1980 Major League Baseball Draft and by the Boston Celtics in the third round (54th pick overall) of the 1980 NBA draft. After failing to make the Celtics' roster, Perry opted to try his hand at baseball, playing for the White Sox' AA affiliate in Glens Falls, New York. He hit .260 in his two seasons with the club."

Reaction Score

His father was Holy Cross AD in the 1970s. I’m not even going to Google this one.

Reaction Score
His father was Holy Cross AD in the 1970s. I’m not even going to Google this one.
O.K. I did. Became AD in 1972 and served in that capacity for 32 years. He's still listed on the athletic department web site as a "Special Assistant to the President".

Reaction Score
I did too. They’ve replaced their most recent guy in March 2019 after the previous guy had a very short stint

HOLY CROSS was a wonderful athletic program. Late 60s into most of the next decade. Great competitive games with UConn. They ignored Dave Gavitt & it’s a different Institution today. Are they a fit for playing Colgate & Lehigh etc? Yes. But they could have been a serious problem/competition for BC.

I suspect that’s Mr Perry Sr legacy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom