Holding out Hope... | The Boneyard

Holding out Hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This day has admittedly been very difficult and I'm generally a realist. If things don't work out for UConn in this conference shuffle, there could be some rocky days ahead. There is one aspect of this move that is nagging at me and wonder if might play out in a positive way for UConn.

During the initial poachings, the teams that left the Big East left with the knowledge that there was still a nucleus being left behind. When Miami, VTech, BC left - thre was still WV, Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, and UConn. When Cuse and Pitt left last year, there was still Rutgers, Louisville, WV, Cinci, etc.

However, with last week's moves, and this morning's vote by the ACC, there really is no more core. With respect to Cincy, and South Florida, UConn is the last remaining team that has been the bedrock of this conference for the past 20 years. UConn's success on the court in the 90s and 2000s helped carry this conference through some dark years and through the bumpy road of the initial reallingment.

For the next year, these departing schools will have to periodically sit in the same room and look UConn in the eye, knowing that their moves run the risk of putting the athletic department figuratively "out of business" in regards to national sports.

Surely, there must be some way for these departing schools to help the last remainining Big East power school find a landing?

At this point, I'm simply holding out hope that the departing Big East schools will take a page from the U.S. Marine Corp. and refuse to leave "a man behind." It's naiive, but it's all I have at the moment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not only have they left UConn behind, but they are shooting at us as they retreat.

Reaction Score
Marines are on the same team. Even "allies" are part of the same team, if not directly teammates. This is even different than separate companies in a business relationship. Even there, the companies are working together. UConn fought on the field against these allies. We were also usually a brash combatant, especially our two biggest success stories (Jim and Geno). I'm sure all the schools moving on feel a bit sympathetic for UConn, because it could've been them left behind. None, however, were in high demand (except ND) so they are just happy they are somewhere else. They aren't going to use any limited chips they may have to help us out.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Please....not one school gives a $%&t that UConn is left behind. If anything they are glad that there's one less threat to their northeast recruiting in FB and NYC recruiting in bball. I would expect UConn to feel the same way if they were in Louisville's spot. It's every school for themselves. Not one school will have trouble saying good bye to this s$#thole conference and any team associated with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104