Hold your horses, Temple in for football only? | The Boneyard

Hold your horses, Temple in for football only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By Mike Jensen and Keith Pompey INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

"Discussions between Temple and the Big East Conference regarding the Owls joining the league for football are hitting final stages, according to multiple sources Wednesday.

The talks include Temple's becoming a Big East member for all sports, two well-placed sources told The Inquirer, but those talks aren't as far along."

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?wss=/philly/sports/colleges/temple/&id=140016033

Maybe Nova's not playing nice. Oh, the intrigue. Marinatto in his full length leather coat, stealing into airport hotels and college locker rooms. Priests lurking nearby. I'm bubbly.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Temple has already been approved for football. They want to be in for all sports and ultimately will be accepted for all, but it might require a payoff to villanova. Also wouldn't put it passed Villanova to be putting out rumors in hopes of killing that part of the deal. Temple is actually in the drivers seat right now since the Big East needs a football member for the upcoming season. They won't have this kind of leverage ever again. Also supposedly the Catholic schools are NOT backing Villanova on this. they want Temple to strengthen the basketball side since Syracuse, Pitt and West virginia (as well as possibly Louisville in a year or so) are all major basketball powers too.

Reaction Score
I hope the Big East is not dumb enough to add Temple for football only after this formula failed so miserably in the past.

Not allowing Temple to be a full member hurts their profile and keeps their ceiling (and fanbase) artificially low. The Big East cannot treat them as second class citizens and expect them to make a major contribution to the league. We are asking Temple to fight the battle with one hand tied behind their back. Not fair and harmfull to the Big East and Temple.

Reaction Score
I hope the Big East is not dumb enough to add Temple for football only after this formula failed so miserably in the past.

Not allowing Temple to be a full member hurts their profile and keeps their ceiling (and fanbase) artificially low. The Big East cannot treat them as second class citizens and expect them to make a major contribution to the league. We are asking Temple to fight the battle with one hand tied behind their back. Not fair and harmfull to the Big East and Temple.
agree completely...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If this is true and the Big East didn't pay for Boise to join early, I'd be pissed! I agree with others that I wouldn't be shocked if Boise never joins a la TCU. Here's your chance Big East. Either get Temple for all-sports or pay for Boise's exit fee!

Reaction Score

It's more than that. Why would you take a school for football only, when it's far better and more marketable in hoops? I don't see why we need them if it's football only.

Reaction Score
While not excited, I believe Temple is coming back, this time as an all sports member. I believe the nosie around FB only is based on purely on timing - we need an 8th member now. We can add them as FB only while continuing to negotiate for all sports, IMO.

Then again, I felt strongly that the WVU money would be forwarded to Idaho to add Boise, so WTF do I know.

If Temple resists or tries to extract money, what is the next move - Memphis?

Reaction Score
If this is true and the Big East didn't pay for Boise to join early, I'd be pissed! I agree with others that I wouldn't be shocked if Boise never joins a la TCU. Here's your chance Big East. Either get Temple for all-sports or pay for Boise's exit fee!

Where's Boise realistically going to go?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Where's Boise realistically going to go?

Pac-12 might wanna expand, Big-12 might wanna go big. Who knows. Would anyone have predicted that TCU would have jumped ship before they even entered the conference? Remember, the talk before and after they joined the Big East was how Texas would never have allowed them into the Big-12. Well, look where they are now.

Just think that if Louisville jumps ship after this season and leaves with Pitt and Syracuse, Boise might realize that the travel budget just isn't worth it. Now, add in the possible removal of AQ status, and there's little to no reason for Boise to join the Big East.

So, if the Big East wanted to make sure Boise jumps on board, they should have gone all in on helping them join for 2012. Once again, I'm not upset with the addition of Temple but I will be if it's for football only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom