Hockey Celebration Video | The Boneyard

Hockey Celebration Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. looked like a terrific crowd for UConn Hockey.

Reaction Score
very exciting to see a win for the hockey team and a great show by husky nation at the xl. Hope they Will they consider selling all the seats in the future. What a great win. Always a pleasure beating bc.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Wow. looked like a terrific crowd for UConn Hockey.

Although they blocked off most of the 200 sections except for both ends, game was sold out at just over 8,000.

Reaction Score
BC had to know they'd eventually drop a game t UCONN, but no one up there thought it would be this year, or next for that matter. This is exactly what DeFilipo was afraid of a few years back when he was on record about not wanting UCONN in the ACC and wanting BC to be New England's team. When put on a level playing field, UCONN wins. Scary part is, hockey is still not on a level playing field. Wait a few more years when the HE recruits are juniors and seniors.

Reaction Score
Based on our scrappy play against good teams last year, I'm not terribly surprised by this win. It appears Coach Cav knows how to get his players to find the relentless spirit that is a trademark of many UConn teams. The defense played by our guys can make up for having a lot less skill than the opponent on offense. That is a trademark that Jim Calhoun brought to Storrs, Geno instilled it in his early teams and Randy Edsall lived by it. The big difference is that in hockey, UConn can rise meteorically fast compared to the grind needed in football and basketball. I suspect we will.

I think it is fair to say that Warde hit this hire out of the park. In regard to his contributions, let's give credit where credit is due. That was a big night for UConn and Hartford. Connecticut loves hockey and is starved for it. Without the Whalers, UConn is the only viable substitute. It is conceivable that you could be watching UConn play BC in front of 16,000 at the XL at some point. This morning there are probably 200,000 people in CT wishing they had gone to the game last night. I can't imagine a Whaler fan that isn't itching to get to Hartford to see state U carry the torch. This is a very exciting time for UConn and I hope all of you will get to some hockey games ASAP. It is good for UConn and the city of Hartford to take back a large piece of our past by putting big time hockey back downtown. I am going to fly my entire family to Hartford for a game and dinner downtown in the near future. Hearing Brass Bonanza played after a big goal again should be on every hockey fan's bucket list. The only thing missing will be hearing Chuck Kaiton say, "It's hockey night in Hartford" and I'm pretty sure that could be arranged at some point too. There is only one brand that can ease a Whaler fan's pain and that brand is UConn.

Well done Huskies.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine a Whaler fan that isn't itching to get to Hartford to see state U carry the torch. This is a very exciting time for UConn and I hope all of you will get to some hockey games ASAP. It is good for UConn and the city of Hartford to take back a large piece of our past by putting big time hockey back downtown. I am going to fly my entire family to Hartford for a game and dinner downtown in the near future. Hearing Brass Bonanza played after a big goal again should be on every hockey fan's bucket list. The only thing missing will be hearing Chuck Kaiton say, "It's hockey night in Hartford" and I'm pretty sure that could be arranged at some point too. There is only one brand that can ease a Whaler fan's pain and that brand is UConn.

Well done Huskies.

I am very happy with the win and excited for UConn hockey, but let's not act like college hockey is even close to as big a deal as the NHL is. I'll go to a few games, but if the Whalers came back, I'd be scooping up season tickets without thinking twice.

Reaction Score

Haha hey I know... it's great. But I just think comparing college hockey to the heyday of the Whalers is a bit silly. I am very happy for the team, but I don't think this means hockey is "back" in Hartford like it once was.

Reaction Score
Haha hey I know... it's great. But I just think comparing college hockey to the heyday of the Whalers is a bit silly. I am very happy for the team, but I don't think this means hockey is "back" in Hartford like it once was.

Dude, we beat BC in the one sport that they're good at in our first HE game. If you're not pumped for that I'd check your pulse.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Jimmy's Buzz Killington = perfect.
Great win. Jarhead was there in his season seats at the glass.
Jealous. Party of one.

Reaction Score
College hockey is cheaper and more accessible and no one can take it away from us. Aside from that, there are fewer games making each one more important to the viewer. A great UConn hockey team will shock people with the following it will have. We don't share the market with an NHL team or other great hockey schools. This is exciting hockey against great programs---in a hockey starved region of rabid UConn fans. This can be a very big deal in CT, NHL or not. I've always felt we were missing the boat on it. Put it this way, nothing close to the excitement from this game has happened in Hartford in 20+ years as far as hockey goes.

Reaction Score
Hockey is a sport we should expect to be a perennial power in. The northeast and into Canada is the hotbed of high school and prep hockey and we are the equivalent of a D1 football school in FL or TX being able to recruit their own state/region for 5 star recruits. Even the second tier kids are top prospects and it only takes 3-4 kids (or just 1 awesome goalie) to turn a good team into a greta team. UConn is already very compeititve and in the top hockey conference in the country. Add in a few more years of good recruiting and the new facilities and we will be in very good shape. If Quinnipiac can become a hockey power, there is absolutely no reason to think we will not be as well.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Loved that game last night, it was insane to see in person! I'll def be back with my Football crew to another couple of games this season. Two things I hope happen with this program (other than winning of course). 1. When an on-campus igloo is built in Storrs, I hope the XL Center games don't end... keep the new on-campus place around 5,000 seats and use it for Women's hockey, non-conference men's games, and practice, etc... play all the HE games at the XL Center downtown. and 2. I hope for next season a media package is put together for hockey... I know its not hoops or football, but we need a viable radio outlet to cover these games (home and road) to be meaningful to the state's fans. I actually am suprised that WTIC 1080 didn't pick up at least the first home game? Also, maybe a TV station like a WCCT could carry some home TV game locally for UConn?

Also, the fact that NESN or NBC SN (based in Stamford!) doesn't come to the XL for a UConn HE game, and wasn't there last night is a crime IMO. I know its the first year, and most folks probably think this game was a fluke and UConn will be bad in their first season in HE, but.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's an outside shot, but I could see SNY going after UConn hockey games. NYC is a hockey town... and UConn's ratings have been strong in NYC.

Of course all this is predicated on UConn having a competitive program... good things will happen if they reach their potential be it increased TV coverage/money. A fourth revenue producing sport certainly couldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
Hockey is a sport we should expect to be a perennial power in. The northeast and into Canada is the hotbed of high school and prep hockey and we are the equivalent of a D1 football school in FL or TX being able to recruit their own state/region for 5 star recruits. Even the second tier kids are top prospects and it only takes 3-4 kids (or just 1 awesome goalie) to turn a good team into a greta team. UConn is already very compeititve and in the top hockey conference in the country. Add in a few more years of good recruiting and the new facilities and we will be in very good shape. If Quinnipiac can become a hockey power, there is absolutely no reason to think we will not be as well.
To be consistently competitive, UCONN will need to successfully recruit quality junior league players in the US and Canada with a few international players tossed into the mix. A few high school players, more prep school players, but mostly junior league players comprise the Huskies' recruiting targets. However, there's no reason to believe Mike Cavanaugh won't be able to reel in quality players with the right facilities and more quality wins, e.g., 2 defeats of top 15 teams in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger