Historical Perspective | The Boneyard

Historical Perspective

Reaction Score
Long time, first time. I have been following women’s basketball closely since 1994 when I was working temporarily at UConn and was told by a student worker during the fall that the team was going to be real good that season. I attended the first UConn-Tennessee game in January 1995 at Gampel and the last Big East title game in 2013 when the Huskies were beaten by a last second Sklyar Diggins layup.

Now that the AAC tournament is over, it is a good time for reflection. I was cautiously optimistic about this season, although never believing that Evina Westbrook was going to be granted a waiver, hoping that if several ifs about player performance were achieved, a Final Four was not totally out of the question.

In mid-February, however, after a number of mediocre performances against ordinary teams and having been crushed by Baylor, Oregon, and South Carolina, all by double digits and two at home, my view was that this was at best a mid-two seed and that there was no certainty of winning the round of sixteen game. The team has improved since that time and perhaps both Walker and Williams will have good games against quality opponents at the same time, as in the AAC final against Cincinnati. Perhaps Dangerfield will continue to play at an elevated level and perhaps the other three critical cogs on the team will continue to progress. But, as others have noted previously, UConn is currently reaping the whirlwind of subpar recruiting classes for three of the last four seasons. If the team defeats a 3 seed in the sweet sixteen and can come within 5-8 points of, say, Oregon in the regional finals, I will consider 2019-20 to be a good season.

This is likely, therefore, to be a down season by UConn standards, but the sky has not fallen as has happened to Notre Dame. Moreover, lest one forget, for three straight seasons in the late 90s (1996-97 - 1998-99) UConn did not make the Final Four and the same was true for the middle years of last decade (2004-05 - 2006-07). If I had to compare this team to any in the past, I would pick 2004-05, the year after the graduation of Diana Taurasi and Maria Conlon. The team returned three starters (Jessica Moore, Ann Strother, and Barbara Turner), had some freshman talent, but finished 25-8 and lost in the round of sixteen.

It should be noted that the bar for a return to traditional greatness is higher than in earlier times. During previous droughts, there was Tennessee and occasionally someone else (Purdue, Notre Dame, etc.). Now the basketball landscape features a much higher number of quality teams. Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, Stanford, and South Carolina lead the way followed by Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Oregon State, and UCLA.

With the potential of a super class coming to campus this coming summer, the future looks extremely bright. We can hope for a duplication of what the classes of 2002 (Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asja Jones, Tamika Williams, and injured Keirsten Walters) and 2016 (Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson) accomplished. If I was going to predict now, however, I see the 2020-21 team as being of regional final quality with the distinct possibility of getting to the final four. Yet, there are two caveats - injuries and possible transfers of players who do not get the hoped for playing time. Re injuries, remember the previously undefeated 1996-97 team whose hopes for a championship were dashed by the injury to Shea Ralph in the NCAA tournament and for 1998 were destroyed by the injury to Nykesha Sales. Nevertheless, next season may be special if Paige Bueckers proves to be as good as everyone thinks and Mir McLean and Aaliyah Edwards can provide some inside muscle.

Reaction Score
Long time, first time. I have been following women’s basketball closely since 1994 when I was working temporarily at UConn and was told by a student worker during the fall that the team was going to be real good that season. I attended the first UConn-Tennessee game in January 1995 at Gampel and the last Big East title game in 2013 when the Huskies were beaten by a last second Sklyar Diggins layup.

Now that the AAC tournament is over, it is a good time for reflection. I was cautiously optimistic about this season, although never believing that Evina Westbrook was going to be granted a waiver, hoping that if several ifs about player performance were achieved, a Final Four was not totally out of the question.

In mid-February, however, after a number of mediocre performances against ordinary teams and having been crushed by Baylor, Oregon, and South Carolina, all by double digits and two at home, my view was that this was at best a mid-two seed and that there was no certainty of winning the round of sixteen game. The team has improved since that time and perhaps both Walker and Williams will have good games against quality opponents at the same time, as in the AAC final against Cincinnati. Perhaps Dangerfield will continue to play at an elevated level and perhaps the other three critical cogs on the team will continue to progress. But, as others have noted previously, UConn is currently reaping the whirlwind of subpar recruiting classes for three of the last four seasons. If the team defeats a 3 seed in the sweet sixteen and can come within 5-8 points of, say, Oregon in the regional finals, I will consider 2019-20 to be a good season.

This is likely, therefore, to be a down season by UConn standards, but the sky has not fallen as has happened to Notre Dame. Moreover, lest one forget, for three straight seasons in the late 90s (1996-97 - 1998-99) UConn did not make the Final Four and the same was true for the middle years of last decade (2004-05 - 2006-07). If I had to compare this team to any in the past, I would pick 2004-05, the year after the graduation of Diana Taurasi and Maria Conlon. The team returned three starters (Jessica Moore, Ann Strother, and Barbara Turner), had some freshman talent, but finished 25-8 and lost in the round of sixteen.

It should be noted that the bar for a return to traditional greatness is higher than in earlier times. During previous droughts, there was Tennessee and occasionally someone else (Purdue, Notre Dame, etc.). Now the basketball landscape features a much higher number of quality teams. Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, Stanford, and South Carolina lead the way followed by Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Oregon State, and UCLA.

With the potential of a super class coming to campus this coming summer, the future looks extremely bright. We can hope for a duplication of what the classes of 2002 (Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asja Jones, Tamika Williams, and injured Keirsten Walters) and 2016 (Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson) accomplished. If I was going to predict now, however, I see the 2020-21 team as being of regional final quality with the distinct possibility of getting to the final four. Yet, there are two caveats - injuries and possible transfers of players who do not get the hoped for playing time. Re injuries, remember the previously undefeated 1996-97 team whose hopes for a championship were dashed by the injury to Shea Ralph in the NCAA tournament and for 1998 were destroyed by the injury to Nykesha Sales. Nevertheless, next season may be special if Paige Bueckers proves to be as good as everyone thinks and Mir McLean and Aaliyah Edwards can provide some inside muscle.

I would differ on one point. I believe this team (as it is currently playing) would defeat the 04-05 team pretty handily. Also, I think Oregon will take a large step back next year. They will still be a good team but not a great one.

Reaction Score
Subject: The Freshmen

There has been a good deal discussion of late about the play of Anna Makurat and Aubrey Griffin and the grades both have earned for this season. Both have mproved over the course of the season. Anna shows a maturity and floor leadership that belies her frosh status, while Aubrey’s disruptive presence on the court and leaping ability is a joy to behold. How they rank with previous outstanding frosh players to my mind is still a question. In a recent discussion on grading, a number of respondents gave them A’s. Although they are both good and may turn out to be special players, such represents grade inflation and, perhaps, a lack of perspective on others who had outstanding freshman seasons.

Going back to 1994, these are the freshmen that I remember who had terrific inaugural seasons - Nykesha Sales, Svetlana Abrosimova, Shea Ralph, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart. These all deserve an A with A+ reserved for Maya. The second B to B+ rank consists of players like Ann Strother, Barbara Turner, Stephanie Dolson, Kaleeena Mosquda-Lewis, Kia Nurse, and Christyn Williams. A third class is composed of C+ players who had good moments, but were not as productive as those in the first two categories, like Amy Duran, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, Swin Cash, Katie Lou Samuelson, and Crystal Dangerfield, among others.

This list is not exhaustive and some may disagree with the choices, but the attempt has been made to provide some sort of context for an evaluation of this season’s first year players. My tentative grade for Anna and Aubrey is C+, but with the final exam of the NCAA tournament cancelled, this will have to stand.

They will both likely be major forces next season, whether as starters or not, and it is too bad that they will not be getting tournament seasoning. If I were to choose which one was more likely to be a starter, that player would be Anna Makurat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom