99, 04, 09, 11, 13
99, KEA, Ricky, RIP
04, BG, Taliek, Rashad
06, Marcus, Rashad, ?????
09, AJ, ?????? (Dyson Injury), Kemba
11, Kemba, Lamb, Shabazz
13, Shabazz, Kemba, Daniels

15, Miller, Purvis, Adams

All these teams, except for the 2006 and 2009 squads had 3 STRONG GUARDS. GUARDS that could win a game for you, young guards off the bench to play at a high level, and a guard who can light it up from the outside while presenting the ability to take it to the rim.

The reason those 2006 and 2009 teams didn't win championships, simple, they were missing that 3rd G in the last game. That 06 team could have used AJ Price badly, one more G to handle the ball, press, and shoot would have made it unstoppable. 2009, with Dyson playing, a different team, again AJ playing a high level, dynamite freshman off the bench in Kemba and a G who can light it up outside/while dribble penetrate.

That's what this 2015-2016 looks to have. The biggest question mark to me is not Miller nor the freshman Adams, it's Purvis. I think this team will go as far as Purvis goes. His outside shot makes his fantastic dribble get to the rim game very dangerous. 3 Guards in the Tournament is pure gold, end of story. Even the last champion, Puke, it was that 3rd G, Grayson that won that game for them when needed.

I think this team has what it takes even if Purvis falters due to the depth of Hamilton being able to slide over, but Purvis's play could make us unstoppable. Historically, UCONN with 3 guards, wins championships, looking forward to potentially 5#

Reaction Score
Daniels, played like a 3rd G in the tournament with his ability to light it up from outside. Then driving hard to the rim. I know he wasn't a G, and neither was Giffey, but at times they played like that 3rd G on the floor that fit that UCONN Guard mold

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Daniels, played like a 3rd G in the tournament with his ability to light it up from outside. Then driving hard to the rim. I know he wasn't a G, and neither was Giffey, but at times they played like that 3rd G on the floor that fit that UCONN Guard mold
I see what you are going for but you are getting away from your model a bit when you start to stretch that definition. You might as well say three scorers? And then of course you have the problem of saying Taliek was able to light it up from the outside :).

But I do think you are on the right track to a few must haves. You need two competent ball handlers for sure. We've had that on all our NC teams.

Reaction Score
Anyone note how Omar looked at First Night? Really hope he competes for minutes this year but he is one of the bigger unknowns along with SCJr. If just one of them can step up, even just on the perimeter, along with those three solid guards, the back court will be deadly.

Reaction Score
Would probably put Boatright on that one and get rid of kemba
Very ready for the games to begin. Lets fill MSG vs Maryland. Make no plans for the first weekend in April. Houston!

Reaction Score
I think 2006 is the only really good Uconn team that was missing that extra/ballhandler guard. It was basically M. Williams alone.

The Dyson injury in 2008 was an enormous blow, but the backcourt was still fairly strong with AJ, Kemba and Austrie. They lost to MSU because AJ and Kemba had really off nights.

This season they should be fine with Gibbs, Adams, and Purvis.

Reaction Score
Wow, I can't believe how bad I just screwed up the OP. Yes I meant Gibbs for this year and Boat for 13. My bad guys

Regarding the Dyson injury, while I loved Craig Austrie, he was no threat to the game the way Dyson was. Michigan State would have had their hands full if they had to deal with Dyson on the outside in that game. Man I loved that team

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't say for sure but it looks like one guy may be a little po'd about not making your list.

8a-UC-CINCY-End.jpg

Look familiar at all?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You listed the '99 team with Ricky Moore, KEA, and Rip. Add in Rashamel Jones, Albert Mouring, and even E.J. Harrison, that team had some depth at guard (noting that Rip and Rashamel often played SF, but both could legitimately be called guards).

Reaction Score
'13 should be '14 so that we don't have Kemba playing five years despite leaving After his junior year...

Or maybe we can add Drummond at guard for '13. :D

Reaction Score
Dainels?? Kinda disrespectful. Is this guy (our Captain) gone and forgetten?

Beverly-Walker-grads.jpg

Reaction Score
Purvis, Adams, Gibbs, but if DHam can increase his 3 percentage, we seem to have plenty. Will Adams give us what 2011 Bazz gave us?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Purvis, Adams, Gibbs, but if DHam can increase his 3 percentage, we seem to have plenty. Will Adams give us what 2011 Bazz gave us?

What we cannot afford is an injury to either Sterling or Jalen. Knock on wood.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In 94 and 95 we had some pretty good guards - Allen, Sheffer, Ollie, and Fair. Then in 96 Fair and Ollie were gone but we had Rickey Moore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dainels?? Kinda disrespectful. Is this guy (our Captain) gone and forgetten?

Beverly-Walker-grads.jpg
Great picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member