OT: - Hiking Trail App for iPhone | The Boneyard

OT: Hiking Trail App for iPhone

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Finally able to get back to hiking. I've used Map My Hike in the past, but it has a notice that it will no longer be supported.

One requirement is my location be mapped in case I get off trail. Recording hikes is another option I'm looking for.

suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OnX maps -much better than All Trails-have used both

Pretty sure this is only for motorized trails and not hiking trails, no? That's why I didn't download and try it out despite the positive reviews.

Reaction Score
Haven't tried OnX maps but All Trails is pretty good. The only issue I've ever had with it was at Crescent Lake in Southington, but that's because those trails are poorly marked not necessarily the app.

Reaction Score
I've used all trails for the last year and am happy with it. I think sometime after I installed the free version, I got a half price offer for the upgrade that you pay for so I went for it. Far as I can tell the upgrade lets you download maps onto your phone, so when you're out of cell phone range you're still in business. I need that feature.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Haven't tried OnX maps but All Trails is pretty good. The only issue I've ever had with it was at Crescent Lake in Southington, but that's because those trails are poorly marked not necessarily the app.

The trail I just hit was short (1.3 miles) but poorly marked. I had to guess which way to go at every fork, then back up if I'm not following the trail outline in the app.

Reaction Score

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
AllTrails is pretty good, even the free version. It helps you navigate when there are a lot of criss-crossing, poorly marked trails (as long as you're getting a decent cell phone signal). Smart to carry a paper map anyway, just in case. The app calculates your distance, elevation gain, calories burned. It's user generated, so the routes people take aren't always the best, but you can see all the alternative trails at the same time. Free, so worth trying.

Edit: also, obviously the best feature is, just search for trails near you or any town/state and tons of options show up, rated by difficulty, with reviews. Excellent way to discover hiking options.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll add, I got it when it first launched for hunting, but have used it much more for hiking - the key is make sure that you go offline BEFORE you get into the woods and lose cell signal. Most of the places I go are off grid.

Reaction Score
I have the alltrails pro version. Likes been said, a couple of times the trails marked on the app dont always align to reality but you can also always follow someone's recorded path on it. I like being able to download the maps offline and just being able to search by location for hikes around the area.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don’t hike as much as I used to now that I’m a dad but I agree with AllTrails. Sometimes it is just as simple as clicking the top rated app.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ummm, the sun? of course, iffn ur hiking after nightfall, then just bring a gun, and a dog or two. those fishercats can get ornery.

Reaction Score
Also look at Gaia, a friend that I'm out with often swears by it, says it's the best by far - but you have to do the monthly fee.

Going to totally depend on where you're going and what you're looking to do. The average person that hikes, get the free all trail version, hell you probably don't even need that, because the majority of trails will be blazed in some fashion. If you're looking to have something more remote and accurate look around.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
AllTrails and Gaia GPS are both very good

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member