Highlight of my day yesterday | The Boneyard

Highlight of my day yesterday

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I might have hit the like button if you posted the video

I was too busy looking out for a line worker to bribe to move my area up on their list. I'm told it works for the cable guys.

I was at DD after the Oct storm and saw a couple people arguing who was going to buy their coffee.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Pedantry: rappel is the verb. I want to teach it for earthquake drills.

I worked at a tennis club years ago and printed a monthly newsletter, with this title being the last. Advertisers thought I did it on purpose.

Funny thing is, we donated several times more than any previous year.
D96BBB12-C447-4C2F-9E05-C0A923B5B90D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I changed the oil in my Generac. No need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I worked at a tennis club years ago and printed a monthly newsletter, with this title being the last. Advertisers thought I did it on purpose.

Funny thing is, we donated several time more than any previous year.
View attachment 57351

That is outstanding:D:D:D

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Watched a guy repel from a helicopter to work on a power line.
December 30, 2017....power line upgrade work in Essex, CT, near Rt 9:

Attachments

• DSCF2076 - resize.JPG
    DSCF2076 - resize.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 111

temery

What?
Reaction Score
December 30, 2017....power line upgrade work in Essex, CT, near Rt 9:

That, and @mussels video is exactly what I saw. I thought when I posted that the guy was hanging from a rope, but my guess is s/he was dropped off to test the lines, and locked in once there.

Pretty awesome job.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nephew is a lineman and just interviewed for a job offering. He has a year to decide. $5000 towards house. Starts at $81/hour with lot of overtime opportunity.

Yep. PG&E the California utility blamed for the Paradise fire. Definitely job security. His interview was in San Francisco area. 1800 square foot fixer uppers starting at low price of $750k.

He currently works in Az.

Reaction Score
Nephew is a lineman and just interviewed for a job offering. He has a year to decide. $5000 towards house. Starts at $81/hour with lot of overtime opportunity.

Yep. PG&E the California utility blamed for the Paradise fire. Definitely job security. His interview was in San Francisco area. 1800 square foot fixer uppers starting at low price of $750k.

He currently works in Az.
Good to know the pay is at least good.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Good to know the pay is at least good.
It’s a bad move imo because of significant cost of living increase. Not sure what he’s making as a lineman in Az. It’s good pay but no where near pay offered in San Fran. I’ll see if sis knows.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was too busy looking out for a line worker to bribe to move my area up on their list. I'm told it works for the cable guys.

I was at DD after the Oct storm and saw a couple people arguing who was going to buy their coffee.

Connecting power lines back to the grid is way more complicated and risky (for both the workers and the home) than connecting a cable line.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Connecting power lines back to the grid is way more complicated and risky (for both the workers and the home) than connecting a cable line.

So you're saying coffee AND a bagel with cream cheese?

Reaction Score

Fortunately, yesterday, I noticed a fairly well developed hornet's nest in the eaves above my garage. I only saw it because I was sitting on my front lawn (I rarely sit there) waiting for the garage door repairman to fix my overhead door that was broken. I couldn't get the car out and with the power out, I needed to drive the car to charge it in the lighter/charger port. Had to do that because in the event of a medical emergency, no way to call for help with landline out.

Exterminator came today and told me they are aggressive and sting people and good thing I caught it now before the nest got bigger.

Normally, I don't lift up my neck to look for these things. I will now periodically check around the house. It looks like a hanging paper bag.

He said in a day or so, they will all be dead, and he will remove the nest next week.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Fortunately, yesterday, I noticed a fairly well developed hornet's nest in the eaves above my garage. I only saw it because I was sitting on my front lawn (I rarely sit there) waiting for the garage door repairman to fix my overhead door that was broken. I couldn't get the car out and with the power out, I needed to drive the car to charge it in the lighter/charger port. Had to do that because in the event of a medical emergency, no way to call for help with landline out.

Exterminator came today and told me they are aggressive and sting people and good thing I caught it now before the nest got bigger.

Normally, I don't lift up my neck to look for these things. I will now periodically check around the house. It looks like a hanging paper bag.

He said in a day or so, they will all be dead, and he will remove the nest next week.
Got stung by one three days back. Hovered over my hand like the helicopter in the above video. Couldn't react quick enough because there were others hovering nearby and didn't want to attract attention. Nest is gone. But like Arnold "They'll be back". Keep checking the area. This is the season they make their nests. Don't like killing the suckers but don't want my neighbors who are allergic to get stung either.

Pain level was about a two for the sting. Localized swelling was decent in that my wrinkles decreased.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So the average journeyman lineman pay in AZ is a little north of $44 (sis didn't know so googled). Cost of living in San Fran is 101% greater than Phoenix area and 76% higher than Flagstaff area. Nephew works in that region.

So a lateral move at best factoring COL. But housing and rental costs are 234% and 176% higher respectively in San Francisco. Not a good move imo.

Kid was in Kuwait in the first gulf war. Was number one in his sniper class. What's a little helicopter ride and swinging from hundreds of volts by comparison?

As for me I'd be weighted down with lots of poop in my pants with his job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom