High school players who decide to opt out of their senior year. | The Boneyard

High school players who decide to opt out of their senior year.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this will become a trend?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Probably for a few - but not many. Bound to be more busts this way- but that’s what the portal is for after that freshman year.;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A friend of our daughter's is finishing up junior year of HS.

Already has a D1 volleyball scholarship and isn't looking for other offers. She is skipping AAU this summer, playing HS volleyball in Fall and then shutting down playing until she shows up on campus. College coach is fine since skills are there. Just going to work on conditioning and individual skill improvement.

Reaction Score
Why get beat up for no reason?
I agree. If you're a blue chip recruit committed to a Top Tier program, what do you have to gain? You can easily tear all the ligaments in your knee playing for sentimental reasons. Maybe now the 2nd team kid shows out and gets a great offer of his own.

Reaction Score
If high school football has come to this we need to seriously evaluate priorities. These are 17-18 year old kids and they are not playing high school sports. Youth sports in general are out of control to begin with. This just makes it worse

Reaction Score
If high school football has come to this we need to seriously evaluate priorities. These are 17-18 year old kids and they are not playing high school sports. Youth sports in general are out of control to begin with. This just makes it worse
What? These are players who play a physical sport that have excelled and secured a d 1 scholarship. I understand the thought process.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ironically enough football players have a very relaxed schedule as far as full on participation and wear and tear on their bodies compared to other sports.

Baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc are year round full competition.

Football players do almost all their off season work just in pads or helmets and don't do full contact except for preseason, once a week in practice and in games.

Reaction Score
With the early signing period now scheduled in December and most high-level recruits given their verbal commitments in June after their on campus visits, I would expect more highly rated recruits to skip their senior seasons and not risk injury. I don't think it'll be a tidal wave of athletes skipping their senior seasons, though, I would expect the number to increase.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan this. I think it is selfish and a let down to his current teammates, particularly if they had Texas State Championship aspirations.

The message also doesn't mention any conversations with Steve Sarkasian. I think it will lead to offers being contingent on, if healthy, the player actually competing in the activity that gets them into school for "free."

I'm actually interested to see if this move backfires. I think the odds that it works out are long.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that football is really the ultimate team game. And this kid showed he is about nothing but me. So does this kid now sit out his senior year at Texas if he is a projected high draft pick? How about the last few weeks of his NFL season if his team is eliminated from the playoffs Especially if he is about to become a free agent? FWIW, I see playing for your high school as different than playing AAU or some similar year round completion. I’ve seem multiple very good athletes simply get burned out by it. So I get it. And agree with it.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that football is really the ultimate team game. And this kid showed he is about nothing but me. So does this kid now sit out his senior year at Texas if he is a projected high draft pick? How about the last few weeks of his NFL season if his team is eliminated from the playoffs Especially if he is about to become a free agent? FWIW, I see playing for your high school as different than playing AAU or some similar year round completion. I’ve seem multiple very good athletes simply get burned out by it. So I get it. And agree with it.
Yeah not so much. Why would he opt out of his senior year at Texas, he would declare for the draft. Why would he sit out for a team he is under contract with in the NFL?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom