High school football participation continues downward trend in Connecticut amid concern over head injuries, other factors (Putterman) | The Boneyard

High school football participation continues downward trend in Connecticut amid concern over head injuries, other factors (Putterman)

Reaction Score
High school football participation continues downward trend in Connecticut amid concern over head injuries, other factors

>>For the fifth time in the past six years, participation in Connecticut declined during the 2017-18 school year, according to data from the National Federation of State High School Associations. The total number of high school football players in Connecticut fell from 10,815 in 2009 to 9,241 in 2017, a 14.6 percent drop in only nine years.<<

(Also taking side bets on where this thread ends up wandering... Golden Husky to the winner)

Reaction Score
IMO that is a surprisingly small reduction given all of the negativity. Football in CT is proving to be resilient. I'd be curious to know how many high school players there were in the 80's and 90's if anyone had that data.

Reaction Score
I would also imagine a lot of the urban school districts have funding issues with sustaining football teams as well. It must be difficult for these urban districts to get coaches and volunteers necessary for a football program to operate. Also, many districts have declining student enrollment.

Reaction Score
Fear of injuries and costs are not the only factors in CT.
Loss of population or lack of growth in the population, combined with an aging population, add to it.

Reaction Score
I would be curious to know how much of a drop in the male student population occurred in the same time period. Have participation levels changed up or down in other high school sports?

Reaction Score
From what I have seen/talked about in several states, the decline in football is hitting towns that 1) have declining populations (duh), 2) towns that don't have the resources (schools and/or parents) to support an expensive sport, 3) towns that do not have a 'history' of football, 4) specialization where kids by high school are focused on a single year-round sport that has eliminated the high school 'stud' athlete who's the star QB, point-guard, and pitcher for his high school, and 5) towns where a nearby 'super-regional' program(s) draws away the best players, which pulls down both the number of avilable players and dilutes the quality of plan and interest.

So, for example, in Maine where my wife's family is from, they are seriously considering creating a new high school football division for 8v8 football as they simply don't have the numbers anymore, especially in towns north of Portland.

In Central Jersey which has less football cred that North Jersey, towns are growing; but, a lot of the growth is coming from health science and pharma companies that tend to draw in new families from Europe, China, India, etc. who have no history with American football. Naturally, as they work in health sciences, they also read the news reports on sports injuries (not just ABC or ESPN, talking about the technical reports from AMA, AAP, New England Journal of Medicine, etc.) and won't let their kids play football. Its a reason why Jersey has loosened-up football co-op rules to allow larger schools like West Windsor Plainsboro North (1,400 students) and West Windsor Plainsboro South (1,600 students) to form a co-op football program as neither has the numers to support a team on its own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, not a big difference, however in 40 years one would think the population would have increased. Therefore eligible pool of players would increase. Not sure but I believe many have left CT.
I had seen a similar article about NJ high schools struggling to field teams in the Washington Post.
There will always be plenty of players to play in the pros, the USFL proved that, and football in the south will stay huge at the high school level as a ticket out.
Interesting. 8,044 CT football players in 1978, 9,241 in 2017.

Reaction Score
Interesting. 8,044 CT football players in 1978, 9,241 in 2017.

CT Population:
  • 1970: 3.031 Million
  • 1980: 3.108 Million
  • 1990: 3.287 Million
  • 2000: 3.405 Million
  • 2010: 3.574 Million
  • 2020 est: 3.600 Million
So from the 1980 census, CT's population is up 15% (which is far, far behind other states); but the number of kids playing high school football is down 13%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Man up and say that to the face of someone whose son committed suicide after the concussions they suffered damaged their brain. Then post the video here so we can see what reaction you get.
Look at the statistics, not emotional appeals to the exception. Yes, it is real medical phenomena. No, it’s not statistically prevalent. We don’t have millions of suicidal zombies running around. Part of the victim culture fueled by junk science. Man up. Bad things happen.

Reaction Score
Fear of injuries and costs are not the only factors in CT.
Loss of population or lack of growth in the population, combined with an aging population, add to it.

I was going to say that most families are moving out of Connecticut for better job opportunities. Here in Florida, there will be 3 more high school teams, since 3 more high schools are opening in the area...

Reaction Score
I was going to say that most families are moving out of Connecticut for better job opportunities. Here in Florida, there will be 3 more high school teams, since 3 more high schools are opening in the area...
I think you need a dictionary to find out what the word "most" means

Reaction Score
Live in Fairfield County and our town has more kids playing grade 3-5 flag than tackle, but I think a good majority of flag parents here would let their kids play tackle by high school but want to avoid it now. The flag programs through 8th grade are really impressive now in terms of coaching and amount of athletes.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Look at the statistics, not emotional appeals to the exception. Yes, it is real medical phenomena. No, it’s not statistically prevalent. We don’t have millions of suicidal zombies running around. Part of the victim culture fueled by junk science. Man up. Bad things happen.

There are not enough studies and, until very recently, CTE could only be identified after death. What is very telling is that the NFL is working very hard to hide and deny a connection between football and brain damage. That is concerning for the future of football.

In the end, I will let my boys play football when they are in high school. I know it is a risk, but at this point I am willing to let them take that risk.

Reaction Score
Lawsuits are also now being filed vs the NHL for CTE injuries and failure to warn players of the possibility of long term effects. It wasn't that long ago that they played without helmets! Watching bareheaded players in a '70's era Stanley Cup game looks incredibly dumb.

Reaction Score
Lawsuits are also now being filed vs the NHL for CTE injuries and failure to warn players of the possibility of long term effects. It wasn't that long ago that they played without helmets! Watching bareheaded players in a '70's era Stanley Cup game looks incredibly dumb.
Seriously-no helmets was crazy....and it is even more mind-blowing in this day and age that they still accept fighting in hockey. It has been greatly reduced from even just a few years ago, but they still let it go on. Crazy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching bareheaded players in a '70's era Stanley Cup game looks incredibly dumb.
... or is it incredibly awesome!

1545083319564.png

Agree that it is too risky though.

Reaction Score

View attachment 37469

Haha the only Bruins player I love! Learned a lot about Bobby Orr from reading his autobiography-probably mentions how much he appreciates his family 30 times in the book before he ever acknowledges he was a pretty good hockey player.

Reaction Score

The Cap's Tom Wilson is a walking class action suit on CTE.

Tom Wilson suspension timeline: Controversial Capital has built career on blurring lines

That said, in hokey today, most concussions come from accidental play or illegal play and the NHL is sort-of trying to get rid of the later (if they were serious, Wilson would have been thrown-out of the league by now). Lacrosse is similar, i.e. can't hit anyone in the head anymore with a stick. Soccer, its usually from either a player not paying attention and taking a shot to the head (I got one of those, was paying attention; but was playing indoor soccer and forgot about the hockey board behind me that sent the shot right back at me) and accidental head-to-head contact on 'jump' balls for a header, which is why heading has been banned by USSF for U-12 now. High challenges have been for the most part red carded out of the game.

Thomas Muller Red Card vs Ajax | Ajax vs Bayern Munich 3-3 2018

The challenge with football is that by nature, it a violent game and nearly every play someone's head is getting hit by an arm, shoulder, helmet, etc. whether its a legal hit or not. With the players now bigger and faster than stronger than ever before while the safety equipment is not able to keep it, head injuries are 'part' of the game versus periodic events caused by accidental or illegal actions. The only way to eliminate the risk woudl be to fundamentally re-design American Football.

Reaction Score
There are not enough studies and, until very recently, CTE could only be identified after death. What is very telling is that the NFL is working very hard to hide and deny a connection between football and brain damage. That is concerning for the future of football.

In the end, I will let my boys play football when they are in high school. I know it is a risk, but at this point I am willing to let them take that risk.
That is a reasonable Dad response. I would note that physics suggests the likelihood of head injury is lower in younger kids because of lower mass and acceleration. F=MA. That is why you’ll see a higher instance of head injuries as you move up the food chain. CTE should be more prevalent in the NFL simply as a function of size, speed, frequency and length of time playing. CTE is basically boxer’s dementia... you will note in that population not all develop CTE either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Cap's Tom Wilson is a walking class action suit on CTE.

Tom Wilson suspension timeline: Controversial Capital has built career on blurring lines

That said, in hokey today, most concussions come from accidental play or illegal play and the NHL is sort-of trying to get rid of the later (if they were serious, Wilson would have been thrown-out of the league by now). Lacrosse is similar, i.e. can't hit anyone in the head anymore with a stick. Soccer, its usually from either a player not paying attention and taking a shot to the head (I got one of those, was paying attention; but was playing indoor soccer and forgot about the hockey board behind me that sent the shot right back at me) and accidental head-to-head contact on 'jump' balls for a header, which is why heading has been banned by USSF for U-12 now. High challenges have been for the most part red carded out of the game.

Thomas Muller Red Card vs Ajax | Ajax vs Bayern Munich 3-3 2018

The challenge with football is that by nature, it a violent game and nearly every play someone's head is getting hit by an arm, shoulder, helmet, etc. whether its a legal hit or not. With the players now bigger and faster than stronger than ever before while the safety equipment is not able to keep it, head injuries are 'part' of the game versus periodic events caused by accidental or illegal actions. The only way to eliminate the risk woudl be to fundamentally re-design American Football.

A kid who played for me (goalie) got a concussion, was cleared, got another and was cleared to play with headgear, got a third and had to drop out. Great kid, actually ended up being in a Broadway play because he took up drama after not being able to play sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A kid who played for me (goalie) who played for me got a concussion, was cleared, got another and was cleared to play with headgear, got a third and had to drop out. Great kid, actually ended up being in a Broadway play because he took up drama after not being able to play sports.

Glad it worked-out well for your player. CTE studies aside, head injuries are scary shi! and should not be messed around with.

About a decade ago, I picked-up a concussion from that rebound shot (hit me in the temple and knocked me out cold), which was my 3rd in 6 months. Earlier, I took a knee in spring soccer to the head playing keeper (was playing because I had sprained my ankle and could not play my usual midfield role) on loose ball scramble, though I never lost consciousness In between the two soccer incidents, the locking bracket on the basement bulkhead door at my house failed while I was walking-up the steps with my arms full of stuff and got slammed in the head by a 100 lb steel door. Somehow, it did not not crack my skull; but picked-up my second concussion in 3 months and it took 21 stitches to fix my scalp. After the final of my 3 head shots noted above, I lost a week or two of short-term memories, was neasous for about a week after, and had on-and-off raging headaches for a month or two after. After some threatening comments from my fiance (now wife) and a mix of fear, common sense, and self-preservation, I haven't played keeper since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom