OT: high intensive testing /screening required on college campuses (link) | The Boneyard

OT: high intensive testing /screening required on college campuses (link)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

In this projection, testing every 2 days is the only way to both open campuses and keep them open.

But schools can't get access to tests and almost no school is doing it, & forget about the expense, it is is colossal.

So, this study says that if 5000 students are on campus at the start of semester, and if only 10 of them are infected asyptomatically at some point at the start, it can be expected that almost 100% will be infected by the end of semester.

Reaction Score
UConn has no testing plan in place for students. Saw that Yale plans on testing students every 2 day’s. Why isn’t UConn testing frequently?

Reaction Score
Why bother testing every 2 days when it takes like 6-7 "if you are lucky" to get the results back?

Exactly. This is going to be a friggin disaster.

Reaction Score
My athlete daughter needs to get tested for Covid-19 before going back to school next weekend. Most of the students at the school are doing on-line learning in the Fall, so she is getting her own room rather than rooming with two teammates in the past. Season was canceled so I don't know why they are going back so early. Hopefully, they'll play in the Spring.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Several new tests being developed that are low cost with rapid and accurate results. Finnish company using breathalyzer technology that gives results in forty five minutes and can be consumer available. If this turns out to be accurate it will significantly change things. Sorry can’t remember company name.

Reaction Score
First day of school in Georgia. Note to kids wearing masks: you might as well not bother.

Eek50zlXsAAIdG4.jpeg

Reaction Score
High intensity testing is what they should do in nursing homes where the virus is deadliest. Over half the college kids who have Covid won't know it. They should screen agressively at colleges but I would think it would be more important to immediatley treat any student with symptoms.

Reaction Score
High intensity testing is what they should do in nursing homes where the virus is deadliest. Over half the college kids who have Covid won't know it. They should screen agressively at colleges but I would think it would be more important to immediatley treat any student with symptoms.

The document I linked says if you don't test every 2 days almost 100% of students will get it.

Reaction Score
The document I linked says if you don't test every 2 days almost 100% of students will get it.
I think they are all going to get it anyway. My point is that over 50% will be asymptomatic. They will get it, it will pass and they won't notice. That is not a medical emergency. The key with 20 year olds is to treat ASAP when symptoms appear so their are not serious health consequences. Stopping the disease before it progresses. Before it does damage. That is critical. College students must be made aware to get to the infirmary at the first signs of possible infection.

Reaction Score
I think they are all going to get it anyway. My point is that over 50% will be asymptomatic. They will get it, it will pass and they won't notice. That is not a medical emergency. The key with 20 year olds is to treat ASAP when symptoms appear so their are not serious health consequences. Stopping the disease before it progresses. Before it does damage. That is critical. College students must be made aware to get to the infirmary at the first signs of possible infection.

What about the professors, others that work on campus that are not college age? Will they pass it on to them?

Reaction Score

The infirmary is not going to be passing on Remsdivir and the people working there are not going to be equipped to help. A sick student will need medical help at places much better equipped than student health centers. I can tell you that students seek med help off campus these days as campus medical is not what it used to be, and the schools prefer it that way.

But--what about the asymptomatic infected? What do you do with them? Quarantine them where?

Reaction Score
The infirmary is not going to be passing on Remsdivir and the people working there are not going to be equipped to help. A sick student will need medical help at places much better equipped than student health centers. I can tell you that students seek med help off campus these days as campus medical is not what it used to be, and the schools prefer it that way.

But--what about the asymptomatic infected? What do you do with them? Quarantine them where?

depot campus with the puppets

Reaction Score
Over 50% eh? Based on your extensive research and experience? Can we get a copy of your epidemiology bona fides to help us all adapt a similar posture of assurance in the face of exponential unknowns.

P.S. Does the UConn infirmary hold the other 40% ?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yale's endowment is over 30 billion. They can do whatever they want. UConn can't afford that

Same reason why NBA can test so frequently and get results back so quickly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Several new tests being developed that are low cost with rapid and accurate results. Finnish company using breathalyzer technology that gives results in forty five minutes and can be consumer available. If this turns out to be accurate it will significantly change things. Sorry can’t remember company name.

Yes, and one of the Boston area colleges has a lab and will run its own tests with one of those. They said 3 hour results.

here is what Northeastern is doing.

Now, polymerase chain reaction is the same technology that was used for the Human Genome Project, the project that actually characterized the genetic makeup of us. That was a huge program of the federal government for over a decade. Many new technologies came out about that, including Northeastern University research was a big contributor to that back in the day.

So that is the technology that we use. We have built a testing center with a capacity of 5,000 tests a day. That means we can test a large fraction of our population every day. And therefore, we can not only run a frequent testing regimen, where we can know the health status of our community on a continuous basis in the fall. But if we need to, we can even accelerate that testing strategy as facts on the ground require.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
First day of school in Georgia. Note to kids wearing masks: you might as well not bother.

View attachment 57299
I'm almost at the point where I wish some of these southern states could be cut off from the mainland and sent adrift. GA and their governor are an example of one of those states. Is he still suing the Mayor of Atlanta for requiring masks when he said they can't? You can't make that level of stupidity up. Masks should be mandatory in the school, no exceptions. In your pic, wearing them appears to be the exception.
As far as UConn goes, if one kid has it, they'll all have it soon enough. Kids hang out, party, hook up, etc. There's no way to contain it and forget about tracking it.

Reaction Score
I'm almost at the point where I wish some of these southern states could be cut off from the mainland and sent adrift. GA and their governor are an example of one of those states. Is he still suing the Mayor of Atlanta for requiring masks when he said they can't? You can't make that level of stupidity up. Masks should be mandatory in the school, no exceptions. In your pic, wearing them appears to be the exception.
As far as UConn goes, if one kid has it, they'll all have it soon enough. Kids hang out, party, hook up, etc. There's no way to contain it and forget about tracking it.
What % of UConn students go home on weekends?

Reaction Score
It’s comforting in a way to see your bad takes aren’t limited to basketball

Reaction Score
What most do not realize - but eventually will - is 'the testing' has been corrupted. Recently witnessed here in Jacksonville at one of the largest high schools here in town. Fletcher High school (normally 2,200 students) had kids (planning on playing fall sports) tested a week or so ago. The handling of the testing was was quite 'suspect' as we shall say. And the ones who supposedly tested positive was rather interesting. The entire staff, kids tested and families were 'miffed' at the results. Who and how they were administered was rather interesting. As someone who teleconferences into medical schools daily - along with having a strong connection with the scientific and medical communities - this a purportrated scam on the weak, uneducated and ignorant masses of this country. It's not airborne. It has a 99.96 survival rate. Fear is the objective - resulting in disruption of commerce. America has literally no clue as to - what is happening - who is doing this - and why. Put your colonizing bacteria masks on - and foolishly live in fear. The scientific and medical communities know - the foolish grovel ignorantly at the false information release through a corrupted media. Lies (propaganda) are quite powerful. Maybe we need another Orson Wells 'War of the worlds' stunt (October 30, 1938 - I believe)... we can all sit on our front porches with shotguns waiting for aliens to arrive. The shear ignorance - and the ease by which people are controlled is quite amazing. A piece of advice... fear the flu or driving your vehicle they are far more dangerous. And - don't let anyone - stick anything up your nose... let alone stick you with anything. Vaccine included.

Reaction Score
Over 50% eh? Based on your extensive research and experience? Can we get a copy of your epidemiology bona fides to help us all adapt a similar posture of assurance in the face of exponential unknowns.

P.S. Does the UConn infirmary hold the other 40% ?

Here's how it works. North of 40% of all Covid positive tests come from asymptomatic persons. That's according to Hopkins or pretty much any other source. Since asymptomatic cases are more prevalent as the age of the infected gets younger. And since college students tend to be a young demographic. I think it is safe to assume that, at least, 50% of the college students that get Covid will be asymptomatic. That would include the subset of UConn students.On the other hand, you assertion that here are "exponential unknowns" associated with the virus is completely unsubstantiated by anything. And your argument about my "bona fides" can be considered an adhominin attack based on the appeal to authority fallacy. If you can read and think my arument is quite logical. This is from the CDC "the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued new guidance that raises the estimate of asymptomatic carriers to 40 percent of people who have COVID-19." I await your apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom