Hidden News -- Dan Guest | The Boneyard

Hidden News -- Dan Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One piece of hidden news in the Courant's report on the Husky Run, but potentially critical, is that Dan Guest of West Hartford and the Masters School participated in the Husky Run and is trying to make the team as a walk on. Why is that critical news? It is critical because (i) we start the season with only ten scholarship players (not counting the two walk ons to whom we gave scholarships), and Dan Guest was a recruited, scholarship basketball player for Karl Hobbs at George Washington who transferred to UConn and has sat out the last two years.

Now, before anyone gets too excited, I've seen Dan Guest play and in no way, shape or form is Guest going to remind anyone of Kromah, or even a poor man's Lansan Kromah. But on a team with just ten scholarship players, Guest at least lets you go to 11 at, say, a Rob Garrison level, rather than a Sami Amelziore level. And if you couldn't tell the difference between those two .... Guest is not an offensive threat, but he was a good defender in his limited minutes his two years at G Dub, and showed signs of being able to run an offense as long as you didn't need him to score and he has a D-1 point guard body. AT AN A-TEN LEVEL.

On a team full up with 13 scholarship players, this is a total non-factor. But on a ten-deep team, this has a potential to be a very, very nice piece of insurance.

Reaction Score
I believe Dan Guest left G.W. a year ago (Spring 2013) & one of the newspapers made mention of him transferring UConn, but as a regular student (non athlete). He did play a little at G.W., so he could be better than the average walk on.

ESPN had him as a solid 1 Star Recruit. ;)
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...iting/player/evaluation/_/id/113574/dan-guest
May, 2010: Guest is a physical lead guard. An athletic and powerful player, he has all the physical tools to be succesful at the next level with a college ready body, explosive athleticism, and good body control. His powerful body is the basis for most of his production as he can muscle his way to the rim or elevate for mid-range pull-ups. Guest also has all the tools to blossom into a good defender. However, he is a shoot first pass second point guard who needs to shoot the ball better from long range and also has a questionable feel for the game.

Reaction Score
I believe Dan Guest left G.W. a year ago (Spring 2013) & one of the newspapers made mention of him transferring UConn, but as a regular student (non athlete). He did play a little at G.W., so he could be better than the average walk on.

ESPN had him as a solid 1 Star Recruit. ;)
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...iting/player/evaluation/_/id/113574/dan-guest
May, 2010: Guest is a physical lead guard. An athletic and powerful player, he has all the physical tools to be succesful at the next level with a college ready body, explosive athleticism, and good body control. His powerful body is the basis for most of his production as he can muscle his way to the rim or elevate for mid-range pull-ups. Guest also has all the tools to blossom into a good defender. However, he is a shoot first pass second point guard who needs to shoot the ball better from long range and also has a questionable feel for the game.

No, thank you, what I said was right. He played for GW in 2010-11 and 11-12, transferred to UConn and sat out the last two years. I saw him play. He was a class behind my son at GW .

Reaction Score
Better than R.J. Evans?
Yes. Just not sure how he factors in due to all the depth in the backcourt. But he's been around the team for a while now as lawyer mentioned. tight with all of them.

Reaction Score
No, thank you, what I said was right. He played for GW in 2010-11 and 11-12, transferred to UConn and sat out the last two years. I saw him play. He was a class behind my son at GW .

Relax... He's a walk on... He's not a game changer.
He played 233 minutes at GW in 2011.
He played 120 minutes at GW in 2012.
His credentials are better than P. Lenehan. and N. Amilo. These 2 have played less than 30 minutes combined at the Div 1 level.

Reaction Score
His credentials are better than P. Lenehan. and N. Amilo. These 2 have played less than 30 minutes combined at the Div 1 level.
The coaching change at GWU had him on the outside looking in as well as other stuff. His first year the team had a slough of seniors. he is a high d1 prospect, this isn't just a 'walk on'. We'll all just have to wait and see how he fits in.

Reaction Score
Meh, this would be bigger if he was a frontcourt player, with all of the pieces we have in the backcourt and on the perimeter something catastrophic would have to happen for him to factor into playing meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score

Now loosen your panties from having been criticized for mis correcting me for no apparent reason and read the post. He is not someone whom UConn would have recruited or will be a material part of the team. The point is that on a team that goes into a season with only ten scholarship players, having a lesser D 1 player as an eleventh is nice insurance. Because if two players are out and someone picks up two quick fouls in the first half, he gives you an eigth body.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No he's not. That's because TSam is "The Game Changer."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whether he plays a minute or not, I appreciate the background info, which I didn't know.

And just for the sake of the numbskulls who are somehow bothered by this knowledge, I hope he figures prominently in at least one sequence, just so you can look prophetic to spite them.

Reaction Score
Whether he plays a minute or not, I appreciate the background info, which I didn't know.

And just for the sake of the numbskulls who are somehow bothered by this knowledge, I hope he figures prominently in at least one sequence, just so you can look prophetic to spite them.

LOL. He will not have a major impact at UConn. He is not that good. But I have been worried about going through a season with only ten players, and am happy to have him as an eleventh. I can't be the only person who remembers how unbelievably thin we were at the end of the 12-13 season.

Reaction Score
Your George Washington player evaluation credibility needs a boost after last year. In all seriousness, thank you for the info. He will be helpful in practice. If one guard got hurt, we wouldn't be able to scrimmage 5 v. 5 with D1 athletes. How good of an athlete is he?

Reaction Score

Yea nobody is really bothered but get your feelings off

Reaction Score
I can't be the only person who remembers how unbelievably thin we were at the end of the 12-13 season.

Nope, you're not. Hell, we were incredibly thin in 11-12, even. Remember Brandon Allen getting minutes against Cincinnati?

It's probably going to take multiple backcourt injuries for him to get time, but that wouldn't be unprecedented.

Reaction Score
LOL. He will not have a major impact at UConn. He is not that good. But I have been worried about going through a season with only ten players, and am happy to have him as an eleventh. I can't be the only person who remembers how unbelievably thin we were at the end of the 12-13 season.
"he is not that good". You should hold that thought you haven't seen him play in a very long time. I'll go on record he is a better basketball player than rj evans. he much more athletic, and while rj was a better hs player ; his shooting left him when he was in storrs. Guest also has huge hands and is a superior ball handler.

Reaction Score
Now loosen your panties from having been criticized for mis correcting me for no apparent reason and read the post. He is not someone whom UConn would have recruited or will be a material part of the team. The point is that on a team that goes into a season with only ten scholarship players, having a lesser D 1 player as an eleventh is nice insurance. Because if two players are out and someone picks up two quick fouls in the first half, he gives you an eigth body.

Dude, I don't wear panties, so I'll leave them for you... I was saying he is better than the average walk on. He was a Div I recruited player for G.W. (A mid major). He played over 33o minutes of Div I ball for G.W. over 2 seasons. Was he great? No, but he played 31 games one year & 23 games the following here. He wouldn't have played if he sucked that badly. Again, he's a walk on & a solid practice player. He's not taking minutes away from starters. If pressed into action, I'd take him over Lenehan or Amilio, since he's played over 300 minutes more than those 2 combined. Not sure what your beef is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom