Hero Sports: UConn game by game predictions | The Boneyard

Hero Sports: UConn game by game predictions

Reaction Score
This is a follow the leader article. I'll predict what I read elsewhere without doing the research. Edsall shed his unneeded players and has replaced them with his own recruits. We have added depth and better players. Those that played as freshman are now juniors. Our quarterbacks, a serious problem in experience last year, are now a year older and know what to expect. This is Edsall's team with his players. It his time to show he can put together a team that can produce. He needs to win with this schedule and I think he will.

Reaction Score
I like the optimism and I share it in many ways. However, we’ve got challenges on both lines to deal with, we aren’t certain who our QB is, though Krajewski is the leader, and we are still very young. While I really want to see these guys win 5+ games, that may be too much to ask this year. Randy had so much rebuilding to do (some not entirely justified), it was a massive job.

Recruiting is going well right now and the players we already have are young and athletic. There is plenty to be optimistic about but we need to have enough mature and physically developed players to win lots of games. We also need coaches, top to bottom, that know how to win games. I just have no idea if we are there yet and I have fatigue from previous seasons of futility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your right we still have holes and are an imperfect team. We are not going to beat very good teams. UMass, Liberty, Maine, Old Dominion, San Jose, and even Army are beatable. The others would be a bit of a reach right now. Although I watched that Illinois game last year and we were in it till the last series.

Reaction Score
Those 10 teams favored to beat UConn make sense based on last year's results. All teams are trying to get better so who is to say UConn will get more better than its opponents year to year.
The saving grace is that maybe 5 of the 10 projected loses are probably a touchdown or less and the underdog may not win all of them but hard to be zero either. Likely 4 wins against this schedule with 6 wins as likely as 3.

Reaction Score
Everything is in place for huge year over year improvement:

- second year under Spanos (UCLA's D saw a huge improvement his second year)
- returning every key defensive player sans Coyle
- D line depth for the first time in years
- talented WR group that is a year older
- NFL prospect at TE with a talented second year TE to back him up
- workhorse senior RB who has improved every year he has been on team
- veteran LT to protect the QB, yes we have two holes to fill on O-line
- coaching continuity on offense for the first time in years (1 year of experience under their belt)
- two talented QB's who are a year older and a new freshman QB with some running ability
- an easier schedule with 7 home games

At the end of the day its gong to come down to QB play. Did either Z or K or more likely Z AND K step up in the clutch and lead the team to victory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those 10 teams favored to beat UConn make sense based on last year's results. All teams are trying to get better so who is to say UConn will get more better than its opponents year to year.
The saving grace is that maybe 5 of the 10 projected loses are probably a touchdown or less and the underdog may not win all of them but hard to be zero either. Likely 4 wins against this schedule with 6 wins as likely as 3.

What’s your thinking against the spread with this team? I‘m thinking the non-believers may provide us with extra points and taking UConn may pay off for at least the first few games.

Reaction Score
Everything is in place for huge year over year improvement:

- second year under Spanos (UCLA's D saw a huge improvement his second year)
- returning every key defensive player sans Coyle
- D line depth for the first time in years
- talented WR group that is a year older
- NFL prospect at TE with a talented second year TE to back him up
- workhorse senior RB who has improved every year he has been on team
- veteran LT to protect the QB, yes we have two holes to fill on O-line
- coaching continuity on offense for the first time in years (1 year of experience under their belt)
- two talented QB's who are a year older and a new freshman QB with some running ability
- an easier schedule with 7 home games

At the end of the day its gong to come down to QB play. Did either Z or K or more likely Z AND K step up in the clutch and lead the team to victory.

Not that excited about O coordinator even if it was first year. He ran a very predictable boring low scoring offense. Having other key players on offense that don’t get utilized because you go to your undersized “work horse” (who absolutely improved) isn’t going to push us into the win category. I still don’t get why WR’s commit to Edsall teams when they are glorified down field blockers or one will sometimes get to use the jet sweep.

At QB I’ve been hearing really good things about the NC State qb coming back from injury. Krajewski allegedly has great ability as well ... reminds me of Endres kinda...but who knows if we will ever see it. Z is way too unpredictable... I like his fight but I really hope it’s not him. I’d like to think our overall QB ceiling is higher than that.

Defensively a friend made a great point that the teams we are scheduled to play are more built for our D (Old Dominion) rather than the UCF/Memphis hurry up 5 second snap spread offenses we had to play in the past that Edsall has proven he has no answer for. At least with these teams we have a chance even if they are a higher caliber like Illinois... Very similar to how we took down Norte Dame back in the day.

Over all the speed Edsall is bringing will have an impact... will Edsall be here to see it

Reaction Score
Not that excited about O coordinator even if it was first year. He ran a very predictable boring low scoring offense. Having other key players on offense that don’t get utilized because you go to your undersized “work horse” (who absolutely improved) isn’t going to push us into the win category. I still don’t get why WR’s commit to Edsall teams when they are glorified down field blockers or one will sometimes get to use the jet sweep.

At QB I’ve been hearing really good things about the NC State qb coming back from injury. Krajewski allegedly has great ability as well ... reminds me of Endres kinda...but who knows if we will ever see it. Z is way too unpredictable... I like his fight but I really hope it’s not him. I’d like to think our overall QB ceiling is higher than that.

Defensively a friend made a great point that the teams we are scheduled to play are more built for our D (Old Dominion) rather than the UCF/Memphis hurry up 5 second snap spread offenses we had to play in the past that Edsall has proven he has no answer for. At least with these teams we have a chance even if they are a higher caliber like Illinois... Very similar to how we took down Norte Dame back in the day.

Over all the speed Edsall is bringing will have an impact... will Edsall be here to see it
I’ve heard the NC QB will be the starter first game. Looking forward to seeing what he’s got.
hopefully the team is back July 1st.. plenty of time to get this team together ..

Reaction Score

I respectfully disagree with everything you stated in this paragraph.

I thought we passed the ball plenty. The idea that we are too predictable and run too much is just a Boneyard myth beaten to death by Edsall haters.

On what planet is Mensah "undersized" that makes no sense at all. BTW the backup Thompkins got plenty of carries.

WR are "glorified downfield blockers" makes me think you are watching different games than I am. That's complete nonsense. Ross and Drayton had impressive freshman seasons catching the ball.

The biggest problem with our offense last year was inexperience at QB, but I like the potential for all of them especially Z who I think will end up being our best QB since Orlovsky. I'm calling it now, Z will play in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with everything you stated in this paragraph.

I thought we passed the ball plenty. The idea that we are too predictable and run too much is just a Boneyard myth beaten to death by Edsall haters.

On what planet is Mensah "undersized" that makes no sense at all. BTW the backup Thompkins got plenty of carries.

WR are "glorified downfield blockers" makes me think you are watching different games than I am. That's complete nonsense. Ross and Drayton had impressive freshman seasons catching the ball.

The biggest problem with our offense last year was inexperience at QB, but I like the potential for all of them especially Z who I think will end up being our best QB since Orlovsky. I'm calling it now, Z will play in the NFL.

Rushing

Mensah - 226 for 1045
Thompkins - 98 for 510
Team Total - 428 for 1859 - 42% of offense, Correction: 53% of plays

Receiving

Ross - 60 for 723
Drayton - 21 for 278
Team Total - 228 for 2592 - 58% of offense, Correction 47% of plays

Original calculations were based on rushed plus completions instead of rushes plus attempts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rushing

Mensah - 226 for 1045
Thompkins - 98 for 510
Team Total - 428 for 1859 - 42% of offense, 65 percent of plays

Receiving

Ross - 60 for 723
Drayton - 21 for 278
Team Total - 228 for 2592 - 58% of offense, 35 percent of plays

382 passing attempts for the season or 32 passing attempts per game. That's more than enough given the inexperience of our QB's and I would expect that number to go up this season.

It's also important to note we had injury problems at the QB position. Leon was out for the season. Beaudry hurts his shoulder game 1 and Krajewski breaks his collar bone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No more excuses. The 2020 schedule is arguably among the weakest in the nation, especially at home. Anything less than 5 wins against this level of competition can not be acceptable anymore. You need to be able to pencil in home wins against the likes of Umass, Maine, ODU, and MTSU. That leaves you one win away either at home against Army or Liberty or on the road against SJSU for 5. Pull an upset against a manageable P5 Slate and you can potentially get to 6.

Reaction Score
382 passing attempts for the season or 32 passing attempts per game. That's more than enough given the inexperience of our QB's and I would expect that number to go up this season.

It's also important to note we had injury problems at the QB position. Leon was out for the season. Beaudry hurts his shoulder game 1 and Krajewski breaks his collar bone.
Also remember that in college sacks are considered rushes. we were sacked 19 times. so the 428 rushes are really 409 and the 382 passing attempts = 401 pass plays. Just about as balanced as you could ever expect to be. Throw in a few scrambles for positve yardage...Then you take a game like UMass where they simply couldn’t stop our running game AND we scored 56 points so tell me why we should throw 50 times instead of 28. Oh and btw Ross caught a 57 yard TD pass. I swear some people would rather we lose and throw 50 passes than win and throw 20.

Reaction Score
ODU did not win a game last year against an FBS program (0-11)........should be a win.

UMass was 1-11 last year.....

Maine went 4-4 in the Colonial...

Those three games couldn't have been better for a possible win if hand picked for that possibility.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
People forget that with Jack Zergiotis learning on the job- we were limited offensively. We threw the ball more than you could have expected with a limited playbook and a true frosh QB.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard the NC QB will be the starter first game. Looking forward to seeing what he’s got.
hopefully the team is back July 1st.. plenty of time to get this team together ..
That seems extremely unlikely. Totally unproven

Reaction Score
All indicators would say Krajewski is the leader in the clubhouse. I’d be shocked if that isn’t the case based on what I’ve heard.

If Micah Leon is really that good, that’s great news.

Reaction Score
We have not had a truly great natural QB since Dan O. Cochran could have been special if he didn’t get his brains beat in due to a putrid line, and Sheriffs was just a great leader and fierce competitor with nothing to work with. One excellent college QB makes a world of difference.

Reaction Score
May not need the QB with the liveliest arm but rather the one who can see the defense and make the read the quickest. A quick processor.

With the offensive line transfers, no one knows what kind of protection the O line can give. I suspect that it will be a team weak point for a while and the QB won't have a lot of time.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom