Heresy! From Geno | The Boneyard

Heresy! From Geno

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma Says UConn Losing Wouldn't Be The Worst Thing For The Huskies

"Fifteen or 20 years ago there was only one thought in my mind: We need to win every single game to prove that we’re great,” Auriemma said. “That’s all I thought about. ‘We need to go undefeated to prove that we’re great because great teams don’t lose.’ The last couple years I’d go into every big game on ESPN going ‘Man, I hope today’s the day we get our ass kicked,” just so that we can feel what it feels like to have to regroup a little bit.

“Then with six or seven minutes left in the game we always find a way to win and I don’t want to lose, but there’s a part of me that’s like ‘Enough of this preseason No. 1 this, favorite to win this.’ After awhile you get numb to all that… Every once in awhile I would like to have our kids look at something and get [upset] about something, but that doesn’t happen.”

“I don’t think we’ve had a team that’s going to be challenged defensively as much as this team since I can remember,” Auriemma said. “It’s been a long, long time. I actually don’t remember… I don’t. So we’re going to have to invent some ways to figure out how to stop people. We basically have to change our style of play a lot this year. We can’t just do business as usual. We just can’t.”

Managing expectations? Motivation? Or a hard truth?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

"Fifteen or 20 years ago there was only one thought in my mind: We need to win every single game to prove that we’re great,” Auriemma said. “That’s all I thought about. ‘We need to go undefeated to prove that we’re great because great teams don’t lose.’ The last couple years I’d go into every big game on ESPN going ‘Man, I hope today’s the day we get our ass kicked,” just so that we can feel what it feels like to have to regroup a little bit.

“Then with six or seven minutes left in the game we always find a way to win and I don’t want to lose, but there’s a part of me that’s like ‘Enough of this preseason No. 1 this, favorite to win this.’ After awhile you get numb to all that… Every once in awhile I would like to have our kids look at something and get [upset] about something, but that doesn’t happen.”

“I don’t think we’ve had a team that’s going to be challenged defensively as much as this team since I can remember,” Auriemma said. “It’s been a long, long time. I actually don’t remember… I don’t. So we’re going to have to invent some ways to figure out how to stop people. We basically have to change our style of play a lot this year. We can’t just do business as usual. We just can’t.”

All of the above.

Reaction Score

Not really news. Geno says this or something like it every year. Two years ago, the theme was its going to be tough after losing 3 All Americans to start two Sophs (KLS, Phessa) and a relatively unproven Junior (Gabby), and not to have a proven Center. As we all know, Huskies went undefeated in season.

While I do believe it will be tougher this year, this is not really a message to invest much time in.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that the change is due to lack of depth. The rotation is routinely 7 players. I would assume that the issue here is a lack of quickness and, unless Ono comes along quickly, the lack of a rim protector/shot blocker. More traditional man to man and more zone?

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that the change is due to lack of depth. The rotation is routinely 7 players. I would assume that the issue here is a lack of quickness and, unless Ono comes along quickly, the lack of a rim protector/shot blocker. More traditional man to man and more zone?
I would think more zone. They usually struggle against dribble penetration and with their two best defenders gone they can’t afford to get extended plus their interior defense will be their real soft spot. IMO, playing much man defense will be inviting foul trouble with their depth quality issues. We’ll see.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"The last couple years I’d go into every big game on ESPN going ‘Man, I hope today’s the day we get our ass kicked,”

Hasn't that happened the last couple of years? Big game = ass kicking.

Reaction Score
"The last couple years I’d go into every big game on ESPN going ‘Man, I hope today’s the day we get our ass kicked,”

Don't be a jerk. His point was that a loss in a high profile game would force the team to refocus on come back stronger. That is not possible when the loss is in the last game of the year.

Reaction Score
Don't be a jerk. His point was that a loss in a high profile game would force the team to refocus on come back stronger. That is not possible when the loss is in the last game of the year.
And... losing by 2 points in Overtime on a last second shot hardly constitutes "ass kicking"... unless Boneyarders and UCONN fans are so spoiled that any loss is an "ass kicking". :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
No need for name calling. I simply commented on what he said.

My point was that everyone wants to parse and analyze and comment on everything that Auriemma says. After more than 25 years I've concluded that a lot of what he says is just Geno liking to hear himself talk.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No need for name calling. I simply commented on what he said.

My point was that everyone wants to parse and analyze and comment on everything that Auriemma says. After more than 25 years I've concluded that a lot of what he says is just Geno liking to hear himself talk.
If you ease back on the hyperbole, others will probably skip the names and just comment. Ball is in your court on that. But he does like to bloviate! :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You do know, don't you big guy, that the Maple Syrup is, like maybe, 6 months away? How does that relate to the mini-firestorm you created? I don't know. I just thought if I threw this in ... what was I thinking? Hmmmm? I personally loved your post is what I'm saying.

Reaction Score

The hard truth and managing expectation. One basic truth--Geno hates to lose.
The truth the last few years without Stew, Kiah, Stef defense has not been what it had been.
Even with those 3 there was the trouble good driving SG's gave Uconn, rarely enough to lose but with Ms St and ND guards and a couple of Bigs showed the lack of defense in those area's.
Kiah, Stew, Gabby, Kia with physical abilities masked some areas of concern. My point is this isn't all that new.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom