Here's what's really happening | The Boneyard

Here's what's really happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This is based on a friend of mine who I shall refer to as PACman. He has contacts in a couple of schools: one in the ACC and one in the SEC. According to PACman, ESPN is planning to do to the Big 12 what it did to the Big East. ESPN's subscriber base is dwindling. It has lost money on the LHN. In the short term it cut high priced talent. In the long term it is developing streaming models that will continue to give it equal or more control over college sports, specifically football. PACman and I play racquetball occasionally and at our games yesterday, he explained to me that the ACCN is the first step in developing their digital network.

Until ESPN can get their digital network up and running, ESPN still has to control costs, hence the dismantling of the Big 12. PACman roughed out the plan between our games over Gatorade. If ESPN can separate OU and UT from the other 8 and place them in one of their existing properties, or conferences, it can give a bump to either the ACC or SEC (or both, he explained) back fill the remaining 8 and still retain a whole bunch of inventory at a substantially reduced rate.

The immediate concern that ESPN must address is whether they move OU and UT together to the ACC or SEC or pair them up with another school and add to each conference. One scenario PACman has heard is UT and OK St to the ACC with OU and KU to the SEC. Everything is still in the exploratory phase though and everyone is jockeying for position. No head fakes or horse trading yet though, PACman wanted to be clear about that.

PACman and I are playing in a racquetball tourney weekend after next and I hope to get more info at the post tourney mixer.

Reaction Score
ACC + SEC=PAC...hmmm

ESPN plans to do to the XII what they did to the Big East can be summarized as a corrollary to Rule #1: If there is a chance for UConn to benefit- 'em. They STILL haven't gotten over a relative newbie being in the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
This is based on a friend of mine who I shall refer to as PACman. He has contacts in a couple of schools: one in the ACC and one in the SEC. According to PACman, ESPN is planning to do to the Big 12 what it did to the Big East. ESPN's subscriber base is dwindling. It has lost money on the LHN. In the short term it cut high priced talent. In the long term it is developing streaming models that will continue to give it equal or more control over college sports, specifically football. PACman and I play racquetball occasionally and at our games yesterday, he explained to me that the ACCN is the first step in developing their digital network.

Until ESPN can get their digital network up and running, ESPN still has to control costs, hence the dismantling of the Big 12. PACman roughed out the plan between our games over Gatorade. If ESPN can separate OU and UT from the other 8 and place them in one of their existing properties, or conferences, it can give a bump to either the ACC or SEC (or both, he explained) back fill the remaining 8 and still retain a whole bunch of inventory at a substantially reduced rate.

The immediate concern that ESPN must address is whether they move OU and UT together to the ACC or SEC or pair them up with another school and add to each conference. One scenario PACman has heard is UT and OK St to the ACC with OU and KU to the SEC. Everything is still in the exploratory phase though and everyone is jockeying for position. No head fakes or horse trading yet though, PACman wanted to be clear about that.

PACman and I are playing in a racquetball tourney weekend after next and I hope to get more info at the post tourney mixer.

Were you guys playing for car wash certificates?

Reaction Score
It's hardly breaking news that ESPN would prefer to move UT and OU to a conference that they have 100% control over such as the ACC or SEC. If they can dismantle the Big 12 in the process, cutting their own costs and diminishing content on FS1 (who owns have the Big 12 media rights), it's a win-win.

If ESPN could do this, they would have done it yesterday. Problem is it's not their decision, it's the school's and they are bound by GOR.

So I have no doubt that this is what ESPN would like to do, but I don't know that it's something they are capable of for at least 8 years.

Reaction Score
I can see ESPN attempting to orchestrate such a thing. And I can see Texas and Oklahoma weighing their options. What I can't see is either Texas or Oklahoma actually joining any other conference unless they can stay together and take a few of their weaker sisters with them to maintain historical continuity and to prevent becoming isolated geographic outliers.

The only reason they were 30 minutes away from joining the Pac-10 in 2010 is because there was a plan in place to do just that.

Reaction Score
We might as well just lock all the CR threads because here is the end result.

The Big 12 made all these schools get out their knee pads to service the expansion committee.

The only reason they put on the show was to get ESPN/Fox to pony up more money to NOT expand.

So in the end all the Big 12 will get is more money for not adding teams. No one knows what the next show will be after that.

You are welcome. :D

Reaction Score
We might as well just lock all the CR threads because here is the end result.

The Big 12 made all these schools get out their knee pads to service the expansion committee.

The only reason they put on the show was to get ESPN/Fox to pony up more money to NOT expand.

So in the end all the Big 12 will get is more money for not adding teams. No one knows what the next show will be after that.

You are welcome. :D
Actually the next show will be the B-12 implosion after their GOR ends.

Reaction Score
Or... to divert attention away from the unending ugly sandal in Waco.

04.jpg

Reaction Score
I can see ESPN attempting to orchestrate such a thing. And I can see Texas and Oklahoma weighing their options. What I can't see is either Texas or Oklahoma actually joining any other conference unless they can stay together and take a few of their weaker sisters with them to maintain historical continuity and to prevent becoming isolated geographic outliers.

The only reason they were 30 minutes away from joining the Pac-10 in 2010 is because there was a plan in place to do just that.

Why do Texas and Oklahoma have to stay together? They weren't in the same conference until the SWC merged with the Big 8. They can still play their annual game as out of conference opponents just like the ACC/SEC annual games.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
PACman believes it would be more cost effective to have OU and UT go to one conference together. Conference politics (SEC does not want Texas) and state politics (OU might have to bring along little brother) may prevent that from happening. PACman will not confirm or deny that the leftover Big 12 will be able to retain P5 status. PACman was running around and eating and could not provide details. Maybe he'll be able to provide more details later...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for espn, their influence in all of this appears to be dwindling as are their profits.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma will worry about their current conference brethren to the extent that their respective local politicians require them to. Either one of the two would knife the 'little eight' in the back in a heartbeat if it meant an extra helping of conference revenue.

I can easily see ESPN being Machiavellian enough to attempt a ploy such as what was allegedly proposed by the supposed PACman. What I don't see is Fox standing idly by while ESPN tries to relegate one of Fox's assets to second tier status, nor do I see those who have leverage in this equation not pitting Fox against ESPN while looking at their options in order to squeeze however many pennies they can from this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the "Little 8" is relegated to G5 status, ESPN should (probably won't) be staring down the barrel of multiple state lawsuits and congressional hearings.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
PACman I hope gets his liver checked out. Looking pretty jaundiced.

Reaction Score
ESPN can try to steer things but ultimately it's the B12's call in the short term. If they want to add teams then the TV partners HAVE to pay more money contractually. And if ESPN gets really ticked they risk losing content to Fox. The B12 doesn't have to get played by espn if they don't want to

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where did the idea that Fox wants to pay tens of millions of dollars for more mediocre Big 12 games? They don't have 6 networks to program.... FS1 tomorrow has UT/OU then MLB then UFC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BTW do some people really need PARODY stamped on the OP?

It's sort of funny that the parody makes more sense than what it is mocking.

Reaction Score
Malloy should put a toll booth on the entry and exit to the ESPN campus to fund UConn sports

And charge Mike and Mike $200 an in and out.

Now one of the Mikes may think that's a bargain.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for espn, their influence in all of this appears to be dwindling as are their profits.

A sometimes overlooked point : ESPN and Fox are now currently involved in contractually agreed too revenue give backs to the NFL ( aka, the " No Flag League " ) Advertisers as a result of unanticipated early season NFL TV games viewership ratings plummets. This probably puts the network then in no mood at the moment to want to pay out 20 mill per a new B12 school under the B12 agreements, should the B12 decide to vote to expand this month.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
A sometimes overlooked point : ESPN and Fox are now currently involved in contractually agreed too revenue give backs to the NFL ( aka, the " No Flag League " ) Advertisers as a result of unanticipated early season NFL TV games viewership ratings plummets. This probably puts the network then in no mood at the moment to want to pay out 20 mill per a new B12 school under the B12 agreements, should the B12 decide to vote to expand this month.

Might have to wait on that. The Sunday day ratings are as strong as ever from what I understand. The nighttime ratings are down though. It remains to be seen if it is an anomaly or not. If the NFL ratings do stay soft there will be a lot of people saying "W T F?" before scrambling to cover their asses. That would really rock the world.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Might have to wait on that. The Sunday day ratings are as strong as ever from what I understand. The nighttime ratings are down though. It remains to be seen if it is an anomaly or not. If the NFL ratings do stay soft there will be a lot of people saying "W T F?" before scrambling to cover their asses. That would really rock the world.

Based on the numbers the number of people watching is up - duration is down.

It makes sense the broadcast numbers stay up and cable falls some - I personally think it's just the election combined with the worst Monday Night schedule you can produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom