Here's A Link To Every Single Rating System In The Universe | The Boneyard

Here's A Link To Every Single Rating System In The Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't buy a rating system that places VCU and St Joe's ahead of us, and Wichita State way ahead of us.

Reaction Score
I can't buy a rating system that places VCU and St Joe's ahead of us, and Wichita State way ahead of us.
St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure are two jokes of tourney bubble teams. They're only on lists because of their inflated RPIs (31 and 28 respectively). Their Kenpom (49 and 77), BPI (50 and 72), Sagarin (55 and 76) give you a much better look at their quality.

Each of those teams are hanging their hats on a win against Dayton. That isn't going to cut it. Joe's won at Temple beat Princeton as their two best non conference wins. The Bonnies: Ohio and Buffalo.

Sorry, Joey Brackets, these teams don't pass the smell test. Yet he has both ahead of UConn. Along with Monmouth! (a team with 3 sub-200 losses).

He's lost his mind on some of this, and missed the boat on the committee's new effort to look at advanced metrics.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Totally agree. That said, it's damn near impossible to find a ranking system, comprehensive or not, that doesn't have a number of WTF slots.

Reaction Score
Does that make us 38th since SMU and Louisville are ineligible?

Reaction Score
A further addenda to my post on the A10 teams.

Each of those teams hang their hat on 1 RPI Top 25 win: Dayton. But Dayton--like Joe's and the Bonnies--is also absurdly overranked.

Their RPI: 20
Advanced?

KenPom: 57
BPI: 43
Sagarin: 46

Dayton isn't really on the bubble. They have beaten Iowa and won @Vandy. But it's a pretty thin resume if you ask me, especially when you add two sub-100 losses, and one sub-200 loss.

They are 1-1 vs. RPI Top 25. Their win against Iowa is great. Getting thrashed by 29 against Xavier? Less so.

Yet somehow this team--which is rightly being slotted around a 7 to 8 seed by most bracketologists although I think they should be closer to the 9/10 line--is buoying the resume of two other even less impressive teams.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Take a look at Oregon St - they might be the worst of all...

Reaction Score
Take a look at Oregon St - they might be the worst of all...
The RPI loves the PAC this year. If the committee can't see through that, it's bad news for UConn.

As for Oregon State in particular

RPI: 29
Kenpom: 59
BPI: 62
Sagain: 59

They have a ton of wins against RPI Top 50 and even 3 Top 25 wins. But again, those are all in conference against teams who have much higher RPIs than advanced metrics. Also, all their Top 50 wins are at home.

Their Top OOC wins: Tulsa (N), Iona (H), UC Santa Barbara (A)

To give a sense of my point about the PAC, a quick look at RPI darling Oregon:

RPI: 4
Kenpom: 15
BPI: 20
Sagarin: 21

So, RPI has them about 3-4 seed levels higher than they look like to every other major system. Oregon has a bad loss to UNLV, and their best OOC wins are Baylor (H) and Valparaiso (H). Hardly one of the 4 best teams... and this is indicative of how the RPI treats all the PAC teams, leading to general resume inflation.

Reaction Score
A further addenda to my post on the A10 teams.

Each of those teams hang their hat on 1 RPI Top 25 win: Dayton. But Dayton--like Joe's and the Bonnies--is also absurdly overranked.

Their RPI: 20
Advanced?

KenPom: 57
BPI: 43
Sagarin: 46

Dayton isn't really on the bubble. They have beaten Iowa and won @Vandy. But it's a pretty thin resume if you ask me, especially when you add two sub-100 losses, and one sub-200 loss.

They are 1-1 vs. RPI Top 25. Their win against Iowa is great. Getting thrashed by 29 against Xavier? Less so.

Yet somehow this team--which is rightly being slotted around a 7 to 8 seed by most bracketologists although I think they should be closer to the 9/10 line--is buoying the resume of two other even less impressive teams.

It's the entire A-10. It's a joke. That entire conference is overrated according to RPI. They can't fool the advanced metrics though. Hopefully this committee sees the joke that is the A-10.

Reaction Score
It's the entire A-10. It's a joke. That entire conference is overrated according to RPI. They can't fool the advanced metrics though. Hopefully this committee sees the joke that is the A-10.
Them and the PAC. But the Pac actually has some good teams. The A10 has one decent-ish team (Dayton).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom