Here comes the Sun! | The Boneyard

Here comes the Sun!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Amazing performance by the Captain... Jas Thomas❗Courtney with 13 rebounds... great work from the backcourt.

If anyone claims they saw this coming... they'll need some serious proof to be believed. Sun players are excluded, they CLEARLY believed.

Major repercussions to be expected from the unceremonious benching of Parker.

Nneka was their best player, and in 2nd place... no one.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Amazing performance by the Captain... Jas Thomas❗

If anyone claims they saw this coming... they'll need some serious proof to be believed. Sun players are excluded, they CLEARLY believed.

Major repercussions to be expected from the unceremonious benching of Parker.

Nneka was their best player, and in 2nd place... no one.

Parker being inconsistent can be expected. What I found stunning was how bad Gray was during this series. Was Connecticut's defense on her the cause of it? She just couldn't get herself going in any of the 3 games.

psconn

Reaction Score
You have to check out Jas and Courtney in the presser. Courtney is just a hoot! Coach Curt goes first, then Fisher. Jas and Court are about half way in. These two are so different, but so bonded. GO SUN‼

psconn

Reaction Score
Parker being inconsistent can be expected. What I found stunning was how bad Gray was during this series. Was Connecticut's defense on her the cause of it? She just couldn't get herself going in any of the 3 games.

Jas did a great job on D, no question. BUT I think Gray and most of her teammates were never mentally prepared for these games. Some problem in the locker room or with the coaching, I suspect.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You have to check out Jas and Courtney in the presser. Courtney is just a hoot! Coach Curt goes first, then Fisher. Jas and Court are about half way in. These two are so different, but so bonded. GO SUN‼

Of course it does not play for me. Head bangHead bang

Did see Courtney's post game sideline interview. Such a great outgoing person. Always felt bad for her when her team was pummeled regularly by UConn:oops:.

Reaction Score
I think Derek Fisher is going to be looking for a new job. Curt Miller completely out-coached him, in addition to whatever internal issues the Sparks are experiencing. Perhaps the GM will get the axe too for hiring him in the first place.

Reaction Score
I have been shocked at how few observers have picked the Sun to win it all this year. The Sun won 9 of their first ten this year. Then Layshia Clarendon got hurt, who had become a major part of their offense off the bench. They lost five straight as a result. But they got it back together and won seven in a row. They lost two away games and then won seven out of eight. They lost the last two, but already had the double bye sown up. Other than after the Clarendon injury, they were incredibly consistent and this win should not have been the big surprise that it seems to have been for some.

I'll go out on a limb and say that they will beat the Mystics in the finals. Delle Donne is the best player in the W right now, but the Sun are the best team. Barring injury, the Sun should roll.

psconn

Reaction Score
I'm going to rewatch the game at some point today and try to figure out LA's "blame pie". In the meantime I'll ramble...

How much of this sweep was attributable to coaching (Miller v Fisher)? To locker room issues? To chemistry? All of those may be related, of course.

Fisher certainly did not distinguish himself right from game one when he was trash-talking AT bad enough to earn a 'T'. He certainly isn't the first coach to trash-talk an opposing player, but I don't recall one T'd for it. BTW, one thing he said to AT was that LA was going to kick @55 in game 2. :cool:

The Sun are more than "a bunch of role players" but look at that LA roster... 2 former ROYs, one of which was a recent MVP, another perennial AllStar and MVP, a point guard recognized as one of the best. I just don't get how they could get swept by large margins without some serious systemic issues.

The LA fanbase is in meltdown and wants to fire Fisher. In Fisher's presser there was a strong inference that there are culture problems (possibly feelings of entitlement) that need addressing. League darling Candace Parker is VERY embarrassed and unhappy. Drama!

Meanwhile, the Sun are in the Finals for the first time since 2005 (Nykesha, KT, Lindsey, Margo, Taj, Asjha) and life is good in Neon Uncasville. Hopefully, DC and LV will have a 5-game rock fight while the Sun rest and prepare.

psconn

Reaction Score
I have been shocked at how few observers have picked the Sun to win it all this year. The Sun won 9 of their first ten this year. Then Layshia Clarendon got hurt, who had become a major part of their offense off the bench. They lost five straight as a result. But they got it back together and won seven in a row. They lost two away games and then won seven out of eight. They lost the last two, but already had the double bye sown up. Other than after the Clarendon injury, they were incredibly consistent and this win should not have been the big surprise that it seems to have been for some.

I'll go out on a limb and say that they will beat the Mystics in the finals. Delle Donne is the best player in the W right now, but the Sun are the best team. Barring injury, the Sun should roll.

I like the enthusiasm! As big a Sun fan as I am, and as good as they played through most of the regular season, a three game sweep with large margins of victory is shocking. Something is rotten in LA, and something amazing is happening in Uncasville!! ❤☀️

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think the Sun's success in the LA series was more the result of LA being really bad than the Sun being really good. As Rebecca said during the broadcast, LA looked like they should look for the first three and a half quarters of Game 1, and looked consistently terrible after that. It seems to revolve entirely around Parker's effectiveness. If she is just taking up space, they can't be a really good team. Even in Game 1, which I watched in person, she did not seem to move effectively on defense, and was not stopping any Sun players from getting a ton of offensive rebounds which they probably shouldn't have gotten.

I am worried about the Washington-LV series. It is a rematch of the many Thibault vs. Laimbeer matches in the mid-2000's when Thibault was at Connnecticut and Laimbeer was in Detroit with the Shock. In the first three games, Las Vegas has looked better on the road in Games 1 and 2 than Washington looked on the road in Game 3. I would say that the series is a tossup right now. I hope that Washington can prevail, since I like Mike Thibault and have no fondness whatsoever for Laimbeer. I also think that LV would be a more difficult opponent for the Sun in the finals than Washington.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A sweep and a rest. Yes!

Yes, sadly (for me), the Sparks went down in flames yesterday. I know there are some here that don’t like Parker or the Sparks.

Candice Parker was benched yesterday due to some undisclosed personal issues she was having. It was reported that physically she was fine.

Without Parker, they had no chance. The chemistry on this team is not cohesive at this time. I’m not going to speculate on the reasons head coach Derick Fisher benched her. I’m sure the reason(s) will come out later this week.

This is simply not their year. Only one team can win the championship. I believe that team is the Mystics. They lost 8 games all season, and they play very well on the road.

The Sun are having a good year. The Mystics are having a great year. The Mystics have everything in place to win it all. The Mystics will win Tuesday. Then dispatch the Sun in 4 games. I’m being conservative in my prediction. They might win it in 3.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Of course it does not play for me. Head bangHead bang

Did see Courtney's post game sideline interview. Such a great outgoing person. Always felt bad for her when her team was pummeled regularly by UConn:oops:.
Love Courtney, but never felt bad when we beat USF.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Derek Fisher is going to be looking for a new job. Curt Miller completely out-coached him, in addition to whatever internal issues the Sparks are experiencing. Perhaps the GM will get the axe too for hiring him in the first place.

I hope so. I never liked the decision to hire Fisher. I’d be much happier with Assistant coach Fred Williams (former Wings head coach) as their head coach. GM Penny Toler is doing a good job. She’s not perfect, who is? She does a decent job of acquiring personnel. I’d like to see Fisher gone.

Parker has been with the team a long time. She’s one of the captains. Fisher is the newbie here. There is probably a rift between the two. Everyone knows she does not like to play defense. She may not be playing it to his satisfaction. They may have had words and are not on the same page. It will all come out in the wash soon.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Meanwhile on the Sunny side...

When her playing days are over, I think Jasmine Thomas would make a great coach.

Carnac

Reaction Score
LA Meltdown:

Yes you will know. You’ll find out in the next few days. A meltdown is a good analogy. Fisher said post game that he was trying to find a combination that would work. He was trying to find someone that would bring some energy into to game for his team. Obviously Parker was not in his opinion. The look on her face says a lot.

It may be that Parker got called out in front of the team. Something she’s not use to. Fisher has no loyalty to any player on this roster. He’s coaching for his job. It will be interesting to see if one of them is gone next year.

Remember that Liz Cambage wanted to come to the Sparks when she wanted out of Dallas, but Toler was not interested. She ended up in Las Vegas (who is still playing). I think Cambage is a better fit in Vegas than she would have been here.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
LA Meltdown:

With the egos involved, its hard to picture CP playing for Fisher again. Force trade out of LA (if anyone will have her)? Retire (tough on your legacy to go out like that)? Fisher fired?

Reaction Score
Yes you will know. You’ll find out in the next few days. A meltdown is a good analogy. Fisher said post game that he was trying to find a combination that would work. He was trying to find someone that would bring some energy into to game for his team. Obviously Parker was not in his opinion. The look on her face says a lot.

It may be that Parker got called out in front of the team. Something she’s not use to. Fisher has no loyalty to any player on this roster. He’s coaching for his job. It will be interesting to see if one of them is gone next year.

I don't have much sympathy for Parker- if you don't want to be called out for lackadaisical play privately or publicly then don't play that way. I know the Sparks will probably fire Fisher before they hold her accountable though, she's gotten away with that garbage since they got her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't have much sympathy for Parker- if you don't want to be called out for lackadaisical play privately or publicly then don't play that way. I know the Sparks will probably fire Fisher before they hold her accountable though, she's gotten away with that garbage since they got her.

I agree. But remember she’s one of the veterans (captains) on this team, and one of the girls. They won a championship just two years ago with her. Being a Sparks fan, I’ve watched a lot of their games. I’ve also attended a lot of their games. She’s a very talented player. I’ve seen her take over games single handed.

The problem is her consistency. It comes and goes. She reminds me of that old Almond Joy/Mounds commercial: sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. Parker is 33 years old. Her best days are behind her.

I personally would not mind seeing a Jonquel Jones clone come to the Sparks. She would be very welcome I assure you.

It would be interesting to see that if there were a behind closed doors player only “secret ballot” vote taken, which one of them would be voted off the island, her or Fisher. The results may surprise all of us. :eek:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
LA Meltdown:

She's paying attention to something in that clip. During a timeout, IIRC, in the third quarter, she looked totally disengaged. I showed it to my wife, who couldn't believe a player was out in (pardon the expression) lalaland while her coach was urging his players forward. When Candace is good, she's really really good, but if I were a WNBA GM, I'd think twice about bringing her on or holding onto her after this series.

Love Carnac's last paragraph. Yes, it could be that the coach has just lost all control or lost the respect of his players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom