Here are the 3 biggest questions looming over college football (Thamel) | The Boneyard

Here are the 3 biggest questions looming over college football (Thamel)

Reaction Score
half heartedly thought one question might be about uconn fb.
with no conference to bog our schedule, we shouldn't have any problem gettning Bama, Texas, and even OSU on the schedule.

Reaction Score
half heartedly thought one question might be about uconn fb.
with no conference to bog our schedule, we shouldn't have any problem gettning Bama, Texas, and even OSU on the schedule.

I will be overjoyed if we can get UAB, TCU and Cincinnati on our schedule in the next 3-4 years.

Along with Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia and a few more closer FBS schools.

Reaction Score
I will be overjoyed if we can get UAB, TCU and Cincinnati on our schedule in the next 3-4 years.

Along with Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia and a few more closer FBS schools.

2020-2023

There is a core of already scheduled games to build on...

UMass...H&H
Illinois...
Indiana
Maine
Purdue...H&H
Holy Cross
@ Clemson
NC State H&H
Boston College H&H
Central Connecticut
Duke (H&H)

Reaction Score
2020-2023

UMass...H&H
Illinois...
Indiana
Maine
Purdue...H&H
Holy Cross
@ Clemson
NC State H&H
Boston College H&H
Central Connecticut
Duke (H&H)
Love to see PSU get on the schedule for a 2 for 1. We should also beg the “Superstar” for another series. He owes us big time. Screwed us up and moved up.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

FTA: One official floated an interesting theory that’s not particularly realistic (but fun to think about). He said it’s more likely that most major conferences would consider eliminating schools before adding them. And before Vanderbilt, Oregon State and Rutgers fans start shuddering, there are likely way too many legal and political complications for that notion to be a common-sense point than a reality. But it underscores that the power still lies most in the biggest brands that command the most eyeballs. The era of scurrying for quantity appears to have passed.

I like that thinking. By 2025 we could be in a new conference with Rutty, Maryland, Vandy and Wake Forest!

Reaction Score
2020-2023

UMass...H&H
Illinois...
Indiana
Maine
Purdue...H&H
Holy Cross
@ Clemson
NC State H&H
Boston College H&H
Central Connecticut
Duke (H&H)

Yes, I was just riffing off the Bama, Texas, Ohio State theme. In other words, we need to be realistic and that means we don't need to shoot for Saturn in near future. The moon will be challenging enough.

Reaction Score
FTA: One official floated an interesting theory that’s not particularly realistic (but fun to think about). He said it’s more likely that most major conferences would consider eliminating schools before adding them. And before Vanderbilt, Oregon State and Rutgers fans start shuddering, there are likely way too many legal and political complications for that notion to be a common-sense point than a reality. But it underscores that the power still lies most in the biggest brands that command the most eyeballs. The era of scurrying for quantity appears to have passed.

I like that thinking. By 2025 we could be in a new conference with Rutty, Maryland, Vandy and Wake Forest!
I’d love that

Reaction Score
At some point you know the major brands are gonna be trimming the fat. No reason for Ohio State to share the same revenue as Rutgers. Eventually there will be two 18-20 team super conferences: north and south or east and west. 64 power schools is a joke.

Reaction Score
Interesting from the B10:

Penn State coach James Franklin's comments about Big Ten divisional imbalance highlights the potential for another round of realignment. League officials declined to comment. But Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck said, "Change is coming."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At some point you know the major brands are gonna be trimming the fat. No reason for Ohio State to share the same revenue as Rutgers. Eventually there will be two 18-20 team super conferences: north and south or east and west. 64 power schools is a joke.
In a meritocracy, no there is not, but Rutgers puts BTN on cable systems serving Greater New York City and wealthy suburbs. Rutgers brings eyeball. I'm interested in how the ACC Network will perform in Massachusetts. BC is in the ACC for a similar reason at this point, but unless they are in the top 5 nationally (Matt Ryan years) or have a Heisman candidate (Andre Williams), no one cares about them. They are rarely mentioned on either talk sports talk stations and the last time they were, they were ridiculed for allowing Notre Dame to put their name in the end zone at Fenway. In other words, the show hosts (Fauria, IIRC) didn't realize it was technically an ND home game. Heck it was only a few years ago and I had to look up Andre Williams' name.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In a meritocracy, no there is not, but Rutgers puts BTN on cable systems serving Greater New York City and wealthy suburbs. Rutgers brings eyeball. I'm interested in how the ACC Network will perform in Massachusetts. BC is in the ACC for a similar reason at this point, but unless they are in the top 5 nationally (Matt Ryan years) or have a Heisman candidate (Andre Williams), no one cares about them. They are rarely mentioned on either talk sports talk stations and the last time they were, they were ridiculed for allowing Notre Dame to put their name in the end zone at Fenway. In other words, the show hosts (Fauria, IIRC) didn't realize it was technically an ND home game. Heck it was only a few years ago and I had to look up Andre Williams' name.
With a big year CT’s own AJ Dillon will probably get some modest heisman chatter

Reaction Score
I don’t know how you can have a dive into the three biggest issues facing college football without focusing on the major health issues facing the sport. Pee Wee and high school football [at least in this area] are on the decline because parents are concerned about the concussion issues. The costs of colleges fielding teams are skyrocketing due to both coaches salaries , cost of insurance and the decline of student interest/. Football will survive but only if it figures out how to deal with these issues as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With a big year CT’s own AJ Dillon will probably get some modest heisman chatter

Probably not enough to break through on 93.7 or 98.5.

Reaction Score
For the B1G, it is not just about cable TV eyeballs. The B1G values graduate level research -- grants, funding, prestige, endowments, etc. The B1G thinks of itself as a tight confederation of large, leading land-grant research institutions. It doesn't think of itself as a loosely connected sports alliance. I know that sounds crazy, but that is how they view themselves. No one leaves the B1G, and no one left when TV contracts were a fraction of today's value.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We should also beg the “Superstar” for another series. He owes us big time. Screwed us up and moved up.
I think you mean Rock Star. And I wouldn't doubt he thinks playing that game at The Rent was doing UConn a favor. As opposed to contract fulfillment.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wonder for how much longer this idea will hold up. With companies now looking towards streaming a lot of content, it doesn't really matter the number of cable boxes you reach. I know we're years away from this being a full reality and RU has already cashed in on the cable box lottery, but it'll be interesting to see how the age of streaming impacts future sports deals.

Reaction Score

I can't see why or how it would be difficult if the big schools left the conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wonder for how much longer this idea will hold up. With companies now looking towards streaming a lot of content, it doesn't really matter the number of cable boxes you reach. I know we're years away from this being a full reality and RU has already cashed in on the cable box lottery, but it'll be interesting to see how the age of streaming impacts future sports deals.

There are still 85 million cable homes plus most of the skinny bundles are pretty much just streamed cable.

No college conference has an over the top offer in the market or on the horizon because nobody has anywhere near the demand you need to make it viable.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There are still 85 million cable homes plus most of the skinny bundles are pretty much just streamed cable.

No college conference has an over the top offer in the market or on the horizon because nobody has anywhere near the demand you need to make it viable.
Whaler any take on what the next round of media contracts will look like? Increase at the same rate we've seen previously? Increase at a flatter rate? Stay the same? Decrease modestly? Decrease precipitously?

I'd guess increase at a flatter rate but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler any take on what the next round of media contracts will look like? Increase at the same rate we've seen previously? Increase at a flatter rate? Stay the same? Decrease modestly? Decrease precipitously?

I'd guess increase at a flatter rate but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Big Ten gets $440 million avg/yr from ESPN/Fox. I can see them getting an increase but it’s going to be at the expense of the BTN content wise.

ACC is locked up until the of eternity. At those numbers I bet they don’t regret it.

PAC-12 gets $250 million avg/yr from ESPN and Fox. They are floating 9am local time games. The league feels dead, the network feels dead, their teams feel dead. They seem to be headed towards a distant 5th in the P5. Kids in west coast business schools will be doing MBA projects on their mess for years. They are gonna get tooled on by the networks like the AAC did.

The SEC deal with CBS is ridiculous - so they will get more money since that is the most valuable package of games and they get almost nothing for it. They signed their ESPN deal so long ago that it will go up on the cable side too.

The Big 12 is going to be in a really awkward position. ESPN+ for the 9 programs is probably good, at least they got some money for the quantity (40 million). Outside of Texas and Oklahoma their appeal seems so limited nationally. Oklahoma State and West Virginia have good programs for example but does anyone actively look to watch them? Iowa State? TCU? I dont really see them getting any substancial increase unless they really buy into +.

I suspect the Big East will get a few million more per team per year. Maybe they get 6/6.5.

What is Fox doing? I think I read BTN to go is getting sunset and will be on the Fox Sports To Go app. Obviously they have the amount and quality of content that would allow you to go OTT - but just like ESPN the OTT revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to the affiliate revenue - so unless you build out a separate library of properties you can’t do it.

The wildcard I guess is Stadium or Diamond or whatever they are going to be called. The Sinclair network of OTA stations and now all the RSNs can probably do some different things - but it’s hard to see any league making them a big part of their strategy. Maybe they get a piece of a P5 league - I certainly enjoy their single cam coverage of the Big Sky conference tourney on Pluto.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom