Herbst interview | The Boneyard

Herbst interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seems much more pro-Big East today than in past. I think she is expecting a big TV number based on her comments.

Arnold Dean couldn't remember if Boise and SDSU are in for all sports. Was there ever a time when he was on top of the facts?

Reaction Score
Seems much more pro-Big East today than in past. I think she is expecting a big TV number based on her comments.

Arnold Dean couldn't remember if Boise and SDSU are in for all sports. Was there ever a time when he was on top of the facts?

Would you please summarize her thoughts? Thanks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed, Nelson. Throw us dogs a bone...

Reaction Score

Idaho wasn't even a state when Arnold was on top of his game.

Reaction Score
I can still hear Arnold taking the calls in the Perno days. He's a class act guys from the days of old when TIC wasn't lost in the right wing orbit. Joe D is the only radio personality on that station who you can call a professional plus he can be funny. Arnold at TIC is like Dee Rowe at UConn.

Reaction Score
Herbst has been pro-Big East since last winter. We have had a lot of discussion about her. (arguably) caught being asleep at the wheel when news of Pitt and Syracuse became public, and of her unsuccessful efforts thereafter. A lot of that is subject of dispute.

Either she knows of an inevitable conference change for UConn and is building the Big East out of loyalty and. the goodness of her heart, or she doesn't know of any conference change and is building it out of raw need to survive.

Unfortunately too many indicators point to the former, which in my unimportant opinion will be detrimental to the program. We have a lazy fan base which could not sell out the off campus stadium for the biggest name program on the home slate. Soon, UCF,SMU,Houston,MEMPHIS!

" It's because we're so sought-after," Herbst said Tuesday. "Our season this year, into the spring, is hard to compete with. We have a huge influence over the New York media market. We have not just men's and women's basketball. Football has really come up, we have baseball, soccer. We're so deep and we're so wide that we're really attractive to a lot of conferences. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about us getting it right for UConn, not that we'd be left out."

President Herbst, Sept 2011
-----------------

"In terms of (restoring Big East) stability and finding the best institutions that fit, that you want to play, you have to go pretty far beyond where you ever thought," said Herbst, a former political science professor who was named UConn's 15th president last December. "And that's OK. I think most of us are settled with it. Football, it's a little easier because you only go to a far away place every other year and they come to you every other year. "

President Herbst, October 2011
--------
Herbst said the geographic diversity of the conference is not a major issue for Connecticut. “We welcome it, in fact, and will work on our schedules to minimize travel costs and ensure success for Husky fans and our school,” she said. “Since UConn is an international university, we see the geographic expansion of the Big East as a way to showcase our academic excellence in an even more sustained way _ far and wide. We look forward to Husky teams playing in different parts of the country, exposing our student-athletes to new regions and new experiences and to broadening our fan base.”
President Herbst, December 2011

---------
So in a few sentences: Herbst failed. UConn is stuck. Must make the most of a bad situation and rationalize memphis and sdsu in the big east.

Reaction Score
Help me understand... Herbst failed what?
Same here. Look, it's obvious as it can get we're going to the ACC or B1G. But it seems both conferences suck at football now. So how about we aim for the SEC, Big 12 or the Pac-12???

pj

Reaction Score
I don't mind a conference that is mediocre at football -- easier for us to win it. As long as it has big markets, big money, and access to all the national playoff/bowl spots.

Reaction Score
I don't mind a conference that is mediocre at football -- easier for us to win it. As long as it has big markets, big money, and access to all the national playoff/bowl spots.

... and a few neat places for tailgate roadtrips!

Reaction Score
You guys are delusional if you think that the markets of Memphis and Houston are going to have a positive impact on UConn's football program.

Whether UConn receives $10m or $8m a year in new tv revenue won't change things at all for the type of program that UConn will become. UConn makes more from it's other revenue sources, specifically IMG and SNY, than from any new tv revenue. UConn's fortunes don't hang in the balance whether it gets a million or 2 million more. The same, sadly, is not true of other programs. They need the money, and hence why they are in the New Big East. SDSU is a poor program. Temple is a poor program. Memphis is the Favelo of FBS. BSU too. For these programs they need the money.

This question has been posed a billion times for the reason that it is entirely impossible not to refute: If markets matter so much, than why not Fordham? Or Hofstra? The markets added by the Big East are comprised of crappy institutions, except maybe for SMU, and crappier athletic programs. They neither are draws in their home markets, nor is there any likelihood of that changing.

Attendance in Texas:

SMU: 20,122
UNT: 22,259
TXST: 33,006
Houston: 29,142
UTSA: 30,416
TCU: 45,112
Texas: 100,990
Texas A&M: 87,114

SMU and Houston are afterthoughts in Texas, behind Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Oklahoma.
UCF and USF are afterthoughts in Flordia., well behind FSU and Flordia. How do they "capture the Orlando and Tampa market if those regions are rooting for the major programs?
Memphis is an afterthought in Memphis.
Temple is an afterthought in Philly. (20k against Maryland???)
SDSU is an afterthought in San Diego, behind USC and UCLA.

The Big East is one giant pig with a UCONN cheerleader sized slather of lipstick.

The ACC sucks! That same ACC with FSU, VT and Clemson drawing 80k fans.

Face it, Herbst did not get UConn to the promised land. Herbst failed when UConn had at least a shot, which was in the summer of 2012. Remember, it was she who stated that the defections of Syracuse and Pitt did not come as a surprise, and that UConn had been talking to the ACC prior their defections. But now time and circumstance have passed UConn by. If you think FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, NCSU, etc. will want another mid to lower level football program in the ACC, I've a bridge to sell you. The last few months have only further solidified that. As for the delusional folks here dreaming of the Big 10...
-----------
"After the Big East met on Sept. 20, commissioner John Marinatto said all the schools had pledged allegiance to the conference. But UConn put out the word that it had done no such thing. More recently, Herbst struck a conciliatory tone with the league in which UConn remains — she told members of the Board of Trustees to "ignore the gossip on the national scene.""

Reaction Score
Rumrunner...who said the game of musical chairs is over? Anyone with common sense knows it's not. Syracuse and Pitt have served much longer at the FBS level. It can be compared to being promoted in the military or the corporate scene. Look at how UNC got off for faking classes. We almost beat NC State, too.

As for the B1G, if Rutgers can get consideration for the B1G, so can we. We've been mentioned before in mainstream media. Our present commissioner (also a UConn fan and alum) is buddies with Delaney. We definitely should also take the Big 12 into consideration, along with Rutgers. Herbst made clear our athletic department is desirable to other conferences.

Reaction Score
Butchy, a realistic view is that UConn's options:

ACC: Given FSU's hue and cry, that ship has sailed. Notre Dame has what it wants and is better off now than last September.

Big 12: Texas is on the ground laughing at the thought of UConn.

Big 10: The Big 10 has zero use for a far eastern football program that plays its games in an off campus stadium. They have every incentive not to expand, even when their contract is up in a few years. Inertia is on its side.

Maybe the SEC goes to 16 because of the desire of its coaches, and the Big 12 goes to 12. I still don't see how those moves impact UConn.

The BE has been frozen out of the BCS. It's revenue distribution is now controlled by a committee hostile to the big east. Swofford, Slive, Delaney, MAC, MWC and Sunbelt. Those 6 conferences will decide $ distribution. Other than that mrs. lincoln, how did you like the play?

Reaction Score

ACC: Given FSU's hue and cry, that ship has sailed. Notre Dame has what it wants and is better off now than last September.

Big 10: The Big 10 has zero use for a far eastern football program that plays its games in an off campus stadium. They have every incentive not to expand, even when their contract is up in a few years. Inertia is on its side.

Maybe the SEC goes to 16 because of the desire of its coaches, and the Big 12 goes to 12. I still don't see how those moves impact UConn.

The BE has been frozen out of the BCS. It's revenue distribution is now controlled by a committee hostile to the big east. Swofford, Slive, Delaney, MAC, MWC and Sunbelt. Those 6 conferences will decide $ distribution. Other than that mrs. lincoln, how did you like the play?

DOOOOOOOOMED!

Reaction Score

The Reason for these Big 5 Conferences to expand?

EASY ... it opens up their TV contract. That is all Pitt & SU to the ACC were. And, either the B10 or the ACC may do that again. But until then ... we will fight it out where we are. Thanks for your interest in UConn Football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I made my post about the Herbst interview right before tailgating, so I don't remember what she said. That's probably why I started a thread on it in the first place. Figured someone else would jump in.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You guys are delusional if you think that the markets of Memphis and Houston are going to have a positive impact on UConn's football program.

Whether UConn receives $10m or $8m a year in new tv revenue won't change things at all for the type of program that UConn will become. UConn makes more from it's other revenue sources, specifically IMG and SNY, than from any new tv revenue. UConn's fortunes don't hang in the balance whether it gets a million or 2 million more. The same, sadly, is not true of other programs. They need the money, and hence why they are in the New Big East. SDSU is a poor program. Temple is a poor program. Memphis is the Favelo of FBS. BSU too. For these programs they need the money.

This question has been posed a billion times for the reason that it is entirely impossible not to refute: If markets matter so much, than why not Fordham? Or Hofstra? The markets added by the Big East are comprised of crappy institutions, except maybe for SMU, and crappier athletic programs. They neither are draws in their home markets, nor is there any likelihood of that changing.

Attendance in Texas:

SMU and Houston are afterthoughts in Texas, behind Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Oklahoma.
UCF and USF are afterthoughts in Flordia., well behind FSU and Flordia. How do they "capture the Orlando and Tampa market if those regions are rooting for the major programs?

The Big East is one giant pig with a UCONN cheerleader sized slather of lipstick.

Face it, Herbst did not get UConn to the promised land. Herbst failed when UConn had at least a shot, which was in the summer of 2012. Remember, it was she who stated that the defections of Syracuse and Pitt did not come as a surprise, and that UConn had been talking to the ACC prior their defections. But now time and circumstance have passed UConn by. If you think FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, NCSU, etc. will want another mid to lower level football program in the ACC, I've a bridge to sell you. The last few months have only further solidified that. As for the delusional folks here dreaming of the Big 10...
-----------
"After the Big East met on Sept. 20, commissioner John Marinatto said all the schools had pledged allegiance to the conference. But UConn put out the word that it had done no such thing. More recently, Herbst struck a conciliatory tone with the league in which UConn remains — she told members of the Board of Trustees to "ignore the gossip on the national scene.""
Laying this at Herbst's feet is nutso. It's not like we had an invite somewhere and we turned it down. She inherited this clusterflock.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Look I love the conference musical chair nonsense as the next guy but now that the season has started I could care less.....things will happen and I don't doubt UConn will fall somewhere decent. For now, I'm resigned to accepting the Big East as our home and go from there. It's CFB season, let the conspiracy and expansion crap wait until January.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Attendance in Texas:

-----------

Somebody needs a hug!

Reaction Score
That Arnold Dean-Herbst interview was so painful I had to turn to classic rock. Poor choice by whoever's in charge at TIC to let Arnold talk to her. Scott, Joe, Wayne, Bob ANYBODY else would have had 200 percent more insightful questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom