OT: - Help with Watching UConn / Cutting the Cord | The Boneyard

OT: Help with Watching UConn / Cutting the Cord

Reaction Score
This is a repost, if you will, of a 2014 thread I posted. I was hoping that in the three subsequent years, more folks have cut the cord and can offer their opinions/ experiences.

I have become more and more disillusioned by the cost of my cable service and would have no trouble canceling cable altogether. There are fewer and fewer things I feel compelled to watch (or watch live) and already have internet access, Netflix, Apple TV, and Amazon Prime to give me nearly everything I want. (That said, if switching to satellite would cut costs, I could also live with that, though I am not looking for any long-term contracts, either.)

BUT what about watching the UConn Women LIVE? (I know I can watch on delay, but watching live is my only non-negotiable, actually.)

So my questions are two-fold:

• If you have cut your ties to cable, how are you able to watch UConn Women's basketball LIVE in-season?
  • Has that been a satisfactory solution? Why or why not?

• Does anyone here have first-hand experience with Playstation VUE vis-à-vis watching UConn Women LIVE?
  • If so-- what is your experience?

Thanks for any current solutions you can offer.

Reaction Score
I think I replied to your previous thread, and nothing has changed since then. The key is to have high speed internet. If you have high speed internet, you "Probably" can get WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights, which shows every one of SNY's Uconn games live on ESPN3. I bought a ROKU device, and attached it to my TV via an HDMI port, and it connects to ESPN3 via WiFi through high speed internet. ESPN will ask for your password, which is your account sign on password for your high speed internet web site account.
You go to ROKU, set up an account, on line, find the ESPN app and have it downloaded to your ROKU. When Uconn plays a SNY game, or for that matter ANY event on ESPN3 you can watch on your TV, via Roku, via WiFi.
Now the hard part; if your internet provider is not part of ESPN, my ATT high speed internet is, then you join SlingTV, pay 19.99 a month and you get to see ESPN, using your SlingTV sign on, via the Roku, on your TV. You get to see ALL ESPN ESPN2 and ESPN3 games this way, and also have all 3 stations to see all content all the time, live as it happens. Go step by step and it is not as difficult as it sounds. Step one is to use your computer or laptop, go to WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights, and try and watch a ESPN3 broadcast. If ESPN has an agreement with your high speed internet, your internet company will show up in the top right of your monitor and you'll see live action. If you have someone in your household who pays for cable, you can probably use their sign in to watch ESPN, if their contract with the cable company allows it. Once you get the ROKU or other device that offers ESPN and attaches to your TV, you no longer need to use your computer/laptop.
As far as getting CBS sports, or other such set ups, I am not sure. I heard you can buy an android TV box and maybe get it that way. Whether this is illegal or not I am not sure, you will have to look it up.
Do you have an antennae that will get stations? I am in Florida, I get 52 stations using a small antennae that is hanging in my screen room. I get all major networks, plus METV, Antennae TV, Decades TV, love watching The Big Valley, old Hawaii 5-0, all the good old shows, plus with the networks, all current TV shows, which don't interest me. I also get 5 public TV stations so I can see the new Vietnam series, the national park series, and British TV series too.
Any specific questions, just write me.

Reaction Score
Also in Florida, we have cable, but it doesn't so much for us when we watch UConn basketball. We do get excellent picture on any ESPN or ESPN2 games via cable.

If it's on ESPNU, I have a problem, because our cable package does not contain that. We generally go out to a sports bar then, same as the couple of games which, perversely, are on CBSSports.

The SNY games are all on WatchESPN, so we get the game on my laptop and then move the laptop to the living room, where I hard-wire it to the flatscreen TV and we have a high-quality picture. My point is that if we did not have cable, we could still get all the games (except ESPNU and CBSSports) because our internet provider is connected to ESPN, and we could get them via the laptop.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In relation to WatchESPN. You have Playstation Vue so I'm assuming you have a PS, hopefully a PS4. There is a Watch ESPN app on the PS4.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've had Sling TV for a few years now and it's been great. I get all the ESPN channels, including SEC and ACC Networks; the main Fox sports channels, including FS1, FS2, and most of the regional Fox sports programming; and the Pac-12 Networks. The only ones I don't get are the Big Ten Network and CBS Sports Network. It's the latter one that poses a problem for me in the upcoming season, as UConn WBB's website is showing three games (at Nevada, vs. Oklahoma, and vs. Temple) as airing on CBSSN.

So if you're primarily (or solely) concerned with maximizing your access to UConn's games, Playstation Vue is probably the better choice, as it offers CBSSN. I myself would have a hard time giving up the Pac-12 Networks because I really enjoy being able to watch the Pac-12 games.

Reaction Score
In relation to WatchESPN. You have Playstation Vue so I'm assuming you have a PS, hopefully a PS4. There is a Watch ESPN app on the PS4.

I don't have a PS at all, but since 2016, Vue offers programming without one and recently has moved to a live TV model. I already have Chromecast, so anything I can watch on my laptop/phone/iPad (WatchESPN), I can already cast-- though I find that experience leaves a bit to be desired.

It seems as if Vue might be my best option, since it also allows me to watch CBSSN. There's a Sports Pack I can add on during the season and then cancel out of season.

Before I switch, the very last thing I need to do is replace a hundred-plus feet of RG6 quad shield cables to maximize my internet connection.

Thanks to all!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I cut the cord a few years ago. I messed around with Vue, Sling and some of the others and settled on Directv Now. It gets me a bunch of the ESPN's, Fox Sports and CBSSN along with over a 100 other channels for $35.00/month. It also provides my access to Watch ESPN. Right now there is no DVR function but they claim to be adding that in the fall of this year.
Initially, it didn't work all that great but they seem to have a handle on it now and they are adding local channels on a regular basis.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I cut the cord a few years ago. I messed around with Vue, Sling and some of the others and settled on Directv Now. It gets me a bunch of the ESPN's, Fox Sports and CBSSN along with over a 100 other channels for $35.00/month. It also provides my access to Watch ESPN. Right now there is no DVR function but they claim to be adding that in the fall of this year.
Initially, it didn't work all that great but they seem to have a handle on it now and they are adding local channels on a regular basis.

I had also looked into DirecTV Now, and I thought that in order to get CBSSN you had to upgrade to the $60 package?
DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup | Packages Start at $35/mo

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I had also looked into DirecTV Now, and I thought that in order to get CBSSN you had to upgrade to the $60 package?
DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup | Packages Start at $35/mo
I've got the "guaranteed for life" $35 deal that they've offered a couple of times. I get the "go big" package for $35 including a year of free HBO. They have offered it a couple of times this year to drive up the customer base.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I've got the "guaranteed for life" $35 deal that they've offered a couple of times. I get the "go big" package for $35 including a year of free HBO. They have offered it a couple of times this year to drive up the customer base.
That's a pretty good deal. More than 40 percent off the usual price for that package, plus the free HBO for a year. Includes the CBS Sports Network plus the Big Ten Network. Only missing the Pac-12 Networks, whose strange banishment from DirecTV continues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom