OT: - Help Me Choose a Tablet, Hive Mind | The Boneyard

OT: Help Me Choose a Tablet, Hive Mind

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Who can help me choose a tablet?

Right now, I have an iPhone (that's mine) and an iPad Mini (provided by work). I try to keep the work tablet to work stuff only.

I also have a Fire HD8 that I use for streaming audio via BT (SiriusXM, Tune In, etc) and for reading on a Kindle. I do occasional web surfing on it -- I'd probably surf more if it weren't soooo slooooow. I like having a personal tablet for reading and for streaming music while I read, but mercy the Fire HD8 is killing me. After about a year of light use my battery life is awful, and the thing lags like you wouldn't believe when opening anything. I spent like $60 on and I got what I paid for, I guess.

So my question for you -- can anyone recommend a tablet in the 7/8 inch range that doesn't suck? The Lenovo Tab 4 8 inch is well reviewed -- does anyone have experience with it? I had a Lenovo Yoga Tab years ago and it was god flipping awful. Are there any good alternatives to an iPad Mini in the 7/8 inch if I'm only going to use it for reading and streaming music, or do I have to shell out the $$ to Apple to get consistent and long-term functionality? Any suggestions, UConn hive mind?

Reaction Score
If it were me I would go iPad because I have an iPhone. The display and software are the same. Amazon fire is a pretty good alternative if we are talking about price.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Having and iPhone makes iPad a no brainer. I tried Android tablets, they are not very good really. Sent my Fire HD back. If you want a productivity device, I’d say try Surface Go perhaps.

Reaction Score
I am super happy with my Samsung SM-T700. I've had it for 4.5 + years and still no lag, resilient/bright screen, takes great photos and still a great battery after all these years, works fine. I am sure they have a newer version of that model, but other than dropping it last week accidentally, I have had no issue with it and the issues I have had was, d'oh, because of that drop last week. It has survived several drops in the past, however, so it is durable too.

I don't trust apple as much and I don't get the hype, especially in recent years. You pay more for the logo in the end and they have not done a heck of a lot to innovate recently. My samsung that was like 275 usd functions just as well as my friends ipad which has to be 3x the price.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am super happy with my Samsung SM-T700. I've had it for 4.5 + years and still no lag, resilient/bright screen, takes great photos and still a great battery after all these years, works fine. I am sure they have a newer version of that model, but other than dropping it last week accidentally, I have had no issue with it and the issues I have had was, d'oh, because of that drop last week. It has survived several drops in the past, however, so it is durable too.

I don't trust apple as much and I don't get the hype, especially in recent years. You pay more for the logo in the end and they have not done a heck of a lot to innovate recently. My samsung that was like 275 usd functions just as well as my friends ipad which has to be 3x the price.

The decent Android tablets like the new Samsung, cost more than the equivalent iPads.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
iPad prices have dropped so much that I cant really imagine buying a different tablet unless I had a specific need for some non-iOS app.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'd been hoping that soneone would weigh in that the Lenovo Tab or something else w/a more stock Android would be a worthy successor to my 2nd Gen Nexus 7",which really is long in the tooth.

As to why not iPad, I want an extension of the phone's OS, because I have an Android phone with me nearly all the time, so I'm used to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom