Heat (movie) | The Boneyard

Heat (movie)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Obviously an awesome movie. Getting regular play on Encore right now.

I had no idea it was based on a true story. Neil McCauley (played by Robert Deniro) was a real guy. A couple of the scenes, like Deniro and Pacino in the coffee shop and the cop accidentally tipping off the criminals as they were close to performing a heist, really happened.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite film. Literally watched it 50 times.

Reaction Score
It's also a remake of TV Movie that Michael Mann directed called "LA Takedown"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Pacino character in the movie is based on a Chicago detective named Adamson who became a TV producer and was a friend of Mann's. Mann spent over a decade trying to get this film made. The irony for me is that Heat has more basis in historical fact than a lot of movies that claim to be based on actual history.

The scene in the minerals repository is really interesting, and really illustrates all the characters in about 5 minutes. When the cop with the machine gun bangs it against the wall of the truck, all the characters go into crisis mode. Deniro's character instantly recognizes what is happening and moves to shut the whole thing down. Thompson's character obeys without question, and Kilmer starts arguing but ultimately makes the smart move. Pacino's sidekicks start problem solving, figuring out, ultimately reaching the same conclusion that Pacino had reached, they have to let them go. For some reason, I love that scene.

The most interesting aspect of this movie is the complexity of even the minor characters. No one is two dimensional in this movie, and understanding all the motivations makes it much more interesting and adds to the suspense of key scenes, because the outcome is very uncertain.

One of my only complaints about the movie is Brenneman's character Eady, who is McCauley's girlfriend. I think Brenneman is a terrible actress, and her character comes across as mousy and weak. I find myself wishing she would just get off the screen. It doesn't seem credible that McCauley would feel any conflict at all about her, because a guy like him would never give her 2 seconds of his time in the first place. This in contrast to Pacino's wife Justine, who is a really interesting character, and a credible partner to Hanna. The actress, Venora, is much better than Brenneman, and the relationship is much more realistic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The actress, Venora, is much better than Brenneman, and the relationship is much more realistic.

No secret. The East Hartford girl is always better than the Glastonbury girl.

Reaction Score
Heat also has the best bank robbery scene ever filmed. Maybe even the best gunfight scene ever filmed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Heat also has the best bank robbery scene ever filmed. Maybe even the best gunfight scene ever filmed.

I loved Heat, but I think a case could be made that The Town, which felt an awful lot like a Heat remake, was even better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The B story, involving Eady, illustrates the I'm getting to old for this attitude and that Neil clearly would not mind sampling the barbeques-and-ballgames regular life.

He goes against his most valued tenant (Do not get involved in anything you can not drop in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner) because he is leaving the criminal life behind, albeit at least $4 Mil richer (Only Chris and Neil survive the gun battle, but Michael Cheritto's bag o' cash was presumably confiscated and there is no driver to pay) In the end, his ego got him caught, shot, and presumably killed. No doubt that he could have arranged for Waingro's demise though Nate, but He had to address it himself.

It probably would not have been as good of a movie if he had gotten away and the last scene was Eady and Neil over looking on a Kiwi beach. However, it certainly would have made for the possibility of a money grab sequel.

I agree that they could have found a better actress, but was only a sub-story arch and the character of Eady was absolutely necessary. Heat made Brennaman. She went on to Judging Amy after that. A show which I'm not sure I saw even a single scene let alone episode.

I find it ironic that Hanna warns the other officers to watch their background before one of the most epic rifle battles in the history of cinema where it appears no one watches what is behind their target. There was literally no dialogue for 20 minutes (unless you count a screaming 4 year old).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Heat made Brennaman.

I think she was more known from NYPD Blue, where she had to the misfortune of being David Caruso's lover. She was also in a nasty Neil LaBute movie called "Your Friends and Neighbors." But at least she was briefly naked.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think she was more known from NYPD Blue, where she had to the misfortune of being David Caruso's lover. She was also in a nasty Neil LaBute movie called "Your Friends and Neighbors." But at least she was briefly naked.
Was she the reporter? I think you make my point. I forgot she was in NYPD Blue.

Reaction Score

Agree with that.

I always thought of Heat as a another crime related movie that was really a metaphor for the conflict of business vs. the family. Sort of like the Godfather movies. Of course the Godfather was so elegant that the business and the family were one in the same.

What Heat did was juxtapose the conflict through McCauley and Hanna and even though they were each other's antagonists, they were essentially the same.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agree with 25's analysis. They should have found a better actress. She probably learned her dramatic vacant stare from Caruso.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom