Heartbreaking story of Schuye Larue. | The Boneyard

Heartbreaking story of Schuye Larue.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Washington Post has had a few articles on her -- the beginning of this article, when Holdsclaw saw her, was in an article a year or two ago. It's sad and really puts a face to the problems of mental illness and homelessness.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wow, I just watched it... I never knew of her when she was playing. I appreciate them bringing awareness to situations like this.

Reaction Score
Absolutely heartbreaking story of former phenom and UVA player Schuye Larue.
Schuye LaRue is living on the streets of Washington, D.C., and she doesn't want your help

I don't know whether to say: Thank you or to say DARN you! Surely isn't a feel good story.
What bothers me more than anything; the medical community do not require her permission to get her help --wanted or not. Possibly wrong but my understand was ; If she gets into mental states that are not controlled and she or others may cause her harm they may take her to a safer place and treat her. However there others with more current medical or legal knowledge and say yea or nay to this.
Her condition is treatable and if treated her life then can take a normal path.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Smith got the hell outta there during that last meeting, that was scary.

too bad

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Holdsclaw Facebook post of her initial contact with Larue

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Smith got the hell outta there during that last meeting, that was scary.
too bad
That was very scary because clearly Larue was having an episode. This was so different than the first time Shelly met up with Larue where Larue was so clear headed. Larue was clear headed enough to correct Shelly that she had played with Kara Lawson (AAU) but not with Rebecca Lobo. One other thing I though was really messed up was Larue mother stating that when they live in one county in MD (Adrundel) they were provided her meds and she was mostly ok. Once they moved to a different county in MD (Prince George) meds were no longer provided and that's when things spiral out of control.

Reaction Score
I don't know whether to say: Thank you or to say DARN you! Surely isn't a feel good story.
What bothers me more than anything; the medical community do not require her permission to get her help --wanted or not. Possibly wrong but my understand was ; If she gets into mental states that are not controlled and she or others may cause her harm they may take her to a safer place and treat her. However there others with more current medical or legal knowledge and say yea or nay to this.
Her condition is treatable and if treated her life then can take a normal path.
Actually mental health treatment cannot be forced upon anyone unless they are clearly a threat to themselves or others. A famous situation in NYC several years ago clarified through a court finding that a homeless person living on the streets in NYC could not be taken into care if they were not causing a disturbance. You are allowed by law to have a treatable mental health condition that you choose not to treat even though it leads to all sorts of non violent situations such as homelessness.

Reaction Score
Actually mental health treatment cannot be forced upon anyone unless they are clearly a threat to themselves or others. A famous situation in NYC several years ago clarified through a court finding that a homeless person living on the streets in NYC could not be taken into care if they were not causing a disturbance. You are allowed by law to have a treatable mental health condition that you choose not to treat even though it leads to all sorts of non violent situations such as homelessness.

That's pretty much as I stated it. You do realize that Mental Health/legal laws vary across the USA.
In the 60's, some thinking they were helping--hurt the mentally ill by getting most of the mentally ill discharged to to the streets and our homeless problem increased rapidly.
I don't know the numbers, but Veterans are among the homeless on the streets of America. It's a shame.
Thanks for trying to make sense out of nonsense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom