Heads up: Nan's link...Rick Pitino and Geno | The Boneyard

Heads up: Nan's link...Rick Pitino and Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I oft-times fail to check out Nan's links on UConn in the news....my bad.
There is a link from the Courant today on Geno and Rick Pitino getting awards from
Winged Foot Golf Club. Pitino has some glowing things to say about our #1...tosses in a bouquet or two about Breanna. Remember that Rick was courtside in the national championship game.

Apparently they are both playing Winged Foot today....spiffy! If they had a choice....play the West Course. The East is excellent but the West is the one that often hosts a major tourney.
I think it was 1974 that Hale Irwin won The US Open with 7 over par....they called it
'The Massacre at Winged Foot". It was the USGA's reaction to Johnny Miller winning the 1973 Open
at Oakmont by going for 63 in the last round.

Reaction Score
I oft-times fail to check out Nan's links on UConn in the news....my bad.
There is a link from the Courant today on Geno and Rick Pitino getting awards from
Winged Foot Golf Club. Pitino has some glowing things to say about our #1...tosses in a bouquet or two about Breanna. Remember that Rick was courtside in the national championship game.

Apparently they are both playing Winged Foot today....spiffy! If they had a choice....play the West Course. The East is excellent but the West is the one that often hosts a major tourney.
I think it was 1974 that Hale Irwin won The US Open with 7 over par....they called it
'The Massacre at Winged Foot". It was the USGA's reaction to Johnny Miller winning the 1973 Open
at Oakmont by going for 63 in the last round.

thanks for the link, but the mention of winged foot does not bring spiffy to mind. i've played some pretty tough open venues, and even pine valley in new jersey, all of which turned out to be enjoyable golf experiences. but playing both the east and west courses at winged foot on the same day was one of the most agonizing experiences i've ever been through . i think they're both much too difficult to enjoy. auriemma and pitino might have technicals called on them before their rounds are complete.

Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I played and walked both Winged Foot courses on the same day. There is no water on either course but the greens are brutal. On the 33 hole with a kid caddy carrying my bag, I said to him, "I've never walked 36 holes ever". He says "Neither have I". On the 9th hole a 480 yard par 5 from the whites I was on in two. I said I'm not leaving an eagle putt at Winged Foot short, ran it by 6 feet and missed the birdie. Still don't regret the try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds
Top Bottom