Heads up: Friday USA Olympic team on TV.... | The Boneyard

Heads up: Friday USA Olympic team on TV....

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
at 2:30 our time....against Australia [no Cambage?] on NBC Sports TV.

Bet they come out angry at themselves after prior loss.

Reaction Score
It’s unfortunate that she won’t be playing, however, her mental health is definitely more important than any competition. I’m not sure what the physical and verbal altercation was and I doubt we get a full story about it, but that has no place in basketball. I have to say I actually like Cambage. She’s at the very least entertaining to me and I respect that she calls out some behavior (e.g. inequitable reffing, inappropriate comments made towards her, etc.) that doesn’t belong in basketball or anywhere, too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There are people that have real mental health issues and those that use it as an excuse. Looking forward to her magical recovery after the Olympics with the Aces.

Reaction Score
I totally respect mental health issues... that said, does anyone else dislike Cambage and think her a drama queen?

There are people that have real mental health issues and those that use it as an excuse. Looking forward to her magical recovery after the Olympics with the Aces.

I get the skepticism and people can dislike her for whatever reasons work for them. Is it not possible that the environment in Las Vegas has the support she's looking for which makes it easier for her to manage things?

Why is it that people are assuming this is an excuse and she's using it as a crutch? People dealing with mental issues display their behaviours differently.

I'm probably chafing at this more because I've dealt with this personally when my daughter was young. She was labelled as disruptive, spoiled and had an attitude. I spent more time in school offices and counsellors than I care to remember. She was classified as exceptional but no one could explain why she acted the way she did. Fortunately getting her into sports helped with some of it, but it never fully answered everything.

It turned out after an assessment was completed when she was in Grade 11 that she was ADHD. This helped us understand why she behaved in certain ways. Fortunately, it never came down to her requiring medication (which Cambage notes she's using currently) and we learned techniques on how to manage, communicate in a way she better understood and techniques that help her remain focused. The last couple years before she left for university you could see an significant change which left her better prepared for the transition.

It is totally possible that Cambage could be picking and choosing when to say mental health issues are the reason. I do agree with accountability and if she was out of line during this altercation, there should be consequences. However, I also believe because we don't know the whole story, nor ever will, don't make a rash judgement just because you're not a fan of hers. If you don't like her fine, but it doesn't discount something could be going on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I get the skepticism and people can dislike her for whatever reasons work for them. Is it not possible that the environment in Las Vegas has the support she's looking for which makes it easier for her to manage things?

Why is it that people are assuming this is an excuse and she's using it as a crutch? People dealing with mental issues display their behaviours differently.

I'm probably chafing at this more because I've dealt with this personally when my daughter was young. She was labelled as disruptive, spoiled and had an attitude. I spent more time in school offices and counsellors than I care to remember. She was classified as exceptional but no one could explain why she acted the way she did. Fortunately getting her into sports helped with some of it, but it never fully answered everything.

It turned out after an assessment was completed when she was in Grade 11 that she was ADHD. This helped us understand why she behaved in certain ways. Fortunately, it never came down to her requiring medication (which Cambage notes she's using currently) and we learned techniques on how to manage, communicate in a way she better understood and techniques that help her remain focused. The last couple years before she left for university you could see an significant change which left her better prepared for the transition.

It is totally possible that Cambage could be picking and choosing when to say mental health issues are the reason. I do agree with accountability and if she was out of line during this altercation, there should be consequences. However, I also believe because we don't know the whole story, nor ever will, don't make a rash judgement just because you're not a fan of hers. If you don't like her fine, but it doesn't discount something could be going on.

All I can say is that if she has diagnosable mental issues, I think she should (would?) have been removed from the Olympic Environment once it became clear that the quarantine environment in Japan was going to be incredibly strict and stressful.

Reaction Score

My story is similar to yours, only I was the ADD student. In junior HS.
School suggested medication.
Single Mom said Hell No!
Got heavily involved in school sports which leveled me out.
All year round plus summer practice.
Burned up my xtra energy plus taught me teamwork concepts and personal discipline.
Thanks Mom.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that if she has diagnosable mental issues, I think she should (would?) have been removed from the Olympic Environment once it became clear that the quarantine environment in Japan was going to be incredibly strict and stressful.
That's fair. At the same time, it's possible she thought she could manage it and now realized that she can't. I liken to the Griner situation last year when she left the Wubble for her own mental well being.

Regarding the "if she has diagnosable mental issues", I don't think you have to be diagnosed with an issue to have trepidations about being in a bubble or an isolated environment. This could apply to more than just these bubbles. Any type of confinement / restrictions affect people in different ways regardless of their mental health.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Are you British?

Reaction Score
It absolutely could be real issues, i didn't mean that she didn't. I think her personality just rubs me the wrong way. Apologies that my post was a bit insensitive - should have kept it to myself - and sorry for hijacking the thread! looking forward to the olympics! Go team USA!

Reaction Score
It absolutely could be real issues, i didn't mean that she didn't. I think her personality just rubs me the wrong way. Apologies that my post was a bit insensitive - should have kept it to myself - and sorry for hijacking the thread! looking forward to the olympics! Go team USA!

We're all human. It's no different than some loving Geno and others thinking he's the Darth Vader of NCAAW. I think this is a good discussion to have regardless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL - no Canadian. We opted to continue using the letter "u" in our words as part of Confederation I believe.
It was the phrase "left for university" that drew my attention.

Reaction Score
It was the phrase "left for university" that drew my attention.
Yes, university is said more than college usually, although I've always wondered why this isn't the case in the US.

Edit - and full disclosure, being a first generation Canadian of parents raised in West Indies, the British influence carries over a fair bit.

Reaction Score
In France "College" is middle school. When I talk about college sports, being huge in the US to French people who don't spend a lot of time in the US, the look on their face is hysterical.

Reaction Score
In France "College" is middle school. When I talk about college sports, being huge in the US to French people who don't spend a lot of time in the US, the look on their face is hysterical.
Interesting that you bring up the French. The province of Quebec has a different schooling system than the rest of the country, where students go to "College" for 2 years, before moving onto university.

This confuses people when looking at prospects because they have the option to accept a scholarship for a NCAA program two years later than others born the same year as them. And the confusion isn't only in the US. Many in Canada forget about this system when trying to figure out when a QC kid could graduate. :confused:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
USA lost second straight exhibition....just like our men did.
Led by 13 mid 3rd quarter....lost 70-67.
We did not look sharp for long stretches of the game.

Tokyo? "Concerned" not "worried".

Do not know if there are any more exhibition games...I think we start play in about 10 days...Nigeria?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
USA lost second straight exhibition....just like our men did.
Led by 13 mid 3rd quarter....lost 70-67.
We did not look sharp for long stretches of the game.

Tokyo? "Concerned" not "worried".

Do not know if there are any more exhibition games...I think we start play in about 10 days...Nigeria?
Must be the coaches on both teams. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned. The rest of the world has narrowed the gap, but we shouldn't blow a 13-point lead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned. The rest of the world has narrowed the gap, but we shouldn't blow a 13-point lead.
Here is the box score. Only look at it if you want to go to the bathroom. :confused::confused::oops::oops:

USA Basketball - 2021 USA Women's National Team vs. Australia
Only Aja Wilson had a good shooting stat line (5-5) but unbelievably, Dawn played her only 15 minutes.

If Geno thinks his team cant shoot 3's, he should take a gander at our National team (2-18). The only 2 being Stewie. I think every team has their game plan ready.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Posted this in the other thread:

Clearly Dawn didn't coach this game like she would have were it an Olympic contest but she has some lineup issues to figure out. Opponents are going to spread Team USA out like Australia did today which is going to limit the effectiveness of all those bigs. The offense was bogged down by too many forced passes inside, poor perimeter shooting and a lack of movement on offense. This is not 2016. To bring up Richard Cohen's point, the 3 position remains a hole that needs to be filled. There's no Maya Moore walking through the door.

Still, no need to panic. Diana will help and the team will shoot better than it did today. It's just not going to look as pretty as it has in other years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Bird had more turnovers than points. The team played the second half like it was an exhibition. I think Staley was trying different lineups to see who played best together.

Reaction Score
This game was telling on many levels. First off, without that "Badass", meaning Diana, we really do not have that person on the floor that will take over. Stewie tried. She gave it everything she had out there. But DT is that person we miss. She is the heart. The engine. We are going to need someone that is going to be that spark. That "Badass". Secondly, I get that it was an exhibition game. But to the world, this was an opening an opportunity. Sure we will dominate a lot of teams down the road. But teams like Spain, France, and Canada, they could give us a good run if we are not locked in and focused. I am pretty sure that the team will bounce back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom