OT: HDMI splitters | The Boneyard

OT: HDMI splitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a tv with two HDMI slots, but now have four devices competing for these two slots. I'd rather not have to buy a new tv. If I buy an HDMI splitter to plug in the other two devices, will they work without a great deal of configuring on my part?

I am hoping a splitter will make everything, "plug and play."

Reaction Score
HDMI signals cannot simply be split like old school coax cable can. What you need is called an HDMI Switch. It's a small box/device that handles multiple HDMI devices when you run out of inputs into your TV.
Here is an a example.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

"4x1", as this switch happens to be, will leave you with one extra HDMI input. You may not ever need the extra input, but I bet you never thought you'd have 4 HDMI devices :)
You can get a "3x1" and use up all your inputs but the cost for an extra input is minimal.

Your other option is to buy a home theater receiver, but that can get expensive. And based on your original email, I'm assuming not the road you want to go down.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Merry Christmas and thanks for the BYard!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Great answer, thanks. Is there such a thing as an HDMI splitter? I ask because I want to make sure I am buying the right thing. When I do a search for splitter and a search for switches, I get the same results.

If I get a switch, will it come with a remote to select which device I want, or does this happen automatically?

HDMI signals cannot simply be split like old school coax cable can. What you need is called an HDMI Switch. It's a small box/device that handles multiple HDMI devices when you run out of inputs into your TV.
Here is an a example.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

"4x1", as this switch happens to be, will leave you with one extra HDMI input. You may not ever need the extra input, but I bet you never thought you'd have 4 HDMI devices :)
You can get a "3x1" and use up all your inputs but the cost for an extra input is minimal.

Your other option is to buy a home theater receiver, but that can get expensive. And based on your original email, I'm assuming not the road you want to go down.

Reaction Score
Great answer, thanks. Is there such a thing as an HDMI splitter? I ask because I want to make sure I am buying the right thing. When I do a search for splitter and a search for switches, I get the same results.

If I get a switch, will it come with a remote to select which device I want, or does this happen automatically?

It is my understanding that HDMI splitters are only useful when you want to output video to 2 or more TVs concurrently. However, I may be mistaken on that.

HDMI switches have the capability to recognize a source and automatically switch to that device as well as the option for a remote. You need to read the description/tech specs to see what switch has what capabilities/options.

For example, the switch I linked in my first reply has a remote while the switch FourRings referenced has an "auto-sensing" feature. I'm sure there are other switches out there that have both features.

Reaction Score
Here is an a example.

Tom, I have a 3-1 switch, but it requires manual switching (it's a few years old). Newer ones may be remotely switchable.

Reaction Score
Technical Details
  • Resolution: 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i/p, FullHD
  • No. of HDMI Input: 3
  • No. of HDMI Output: 1
  • Remote Control: Yes
  • External Power Supply: Not necessary
Thanks, I need one also. Nice price, now I have to look for a $20 item to get free shipping.

Reaction Score
a splitter will turn one output (aka dvd, xbox etc) capable into being able to be used for two tv's or two tv inputs. A switcher on the other hand you can use to split one tv input into 3-4 different devices

Reaction Score
A splitter takes one input signal and replicates it on multiple output lines. You'd use an HDMI splitter if you wanted to send, say, a Blu ray player's output to more than one place, like maybe two tv's.

A switch takes multiple input signals and allows the user to switch between them deciding which of the input source signals will be passed to the one (or more) output(s). As others have said, sometimes the decision about which signal to pass to the output is made by a controller based on sensing the available input signals. You want a switch.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
a splitter will turn one output (aka dvd, xbox etc) capable into being able to be used for two tv's or two tv inputs. A switcher on the other hand you can use to split one tv input into 3-4 different devices
A splitter takes one input signal and replicates it on multiple output lines. You'd use an HDMI splitter if you wanted to send, say, a Blu ray player's output to more than one place, like maybe two tv's.

A switch takes multiple input signals and allows the user to switch between them deciding which of the input source signals will be passed to the one (or more) output(s). As others have said, sometimes the decision about which signal to pass to the output is made by a controller based on sensing the available input signals. You want a switch.

Thanks. Great explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger