HBO second part! Wow! | The Boneyard

HBO second part! Wow!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So that was fun! We get a better feel for what this is going to like each week. Next week with no games to cover they can spend time on: 1) the selection show; and 2) the process of preparation for the NCAAs.

Then presumably the following three weeks (we hope) will be 10 or so minutes devoted to games and 15 minutes devoted to the preparations and process around the games.

I wonder if they will be working in any more outside comments during the processs, this show except for a minute around Sue being on campus was all UConn team, coaching, and staff (with some gratuitous teats thrown in for the guys! :cool: (cows!))

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I liked it too, but perhaps for slightly differing reasons. :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There were many great parts to the show, but my favorite is when Geno was talking to the team after the UCF game and told them that they need to concentrate on shooting better in the South Florida game. When you know what's going to happen the next day, those words just make you tingle.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This series has taught us that Lou's not much of a cook, and she can't milk a cow, but man can she shoot a basketball. Great to see her dad at the conference tournament. He was beaming after the USF game, and who could blame him.

Also interesting to see how extensive Kia's rehab process is.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry, but as good as the episode was there is still one speech Geno gives that gets me every time. That was after the Baylor win when he says, "But not tonight!". Heart tug every single time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It also seems pretty clear that a few players were less comfortable with the cameras around - Napheesa and Chong and Natalie appear very sparingly

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but as good as the episode was there is still one speech Geno gives that gets me every time. That was after the Baylor win when he says, "But not tonight!". Heart tug every single time.
Who knew you were so sentimental? I love his little grin at thee d of that...

JordyG

Reaction Score
Also although Pheesa was praised to the skies by Geno there was not mention of her entering the AAC tournament leading the team in scoring and rebounding. No need for an interview or a profile to shoe horn in a mention.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Who knew you were so sentimental? I love his little grin at thee d of that...
Man, all they have to do is show those young ladies, pretty much any ones on any team, enjoying each other company and I get misty. Even when I saw the wonderful young lady Henshaw get her award I got fizzy thinking about how proud her parents must be. I just think the women who play WBB are terrific people.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were many great parts to the show, but my favorite is when Geno was talking to the team after the UCF game and told them that they need to concentrate on shooting better in the South Florida game. When you know what's going to happen the next day, those words just make you tingle.

Great show...Hopefully we're all good on Napheesa now.

And yeah, given what was to happen the next night against USF, HBO got a little gem when Geno gave that post game speech after UCF... Geno speaks and the team makes it so...

On the technical side, one interesting point is that while some of this is being done ahead of time, a lot of this is of necessity being done "on the fly,". Considering how well this episode came out, production values, narrative and all, we should really be appreciative of what HBO is giving us.

By the way, we got a background piece on Crystal last week, Tierney this week. Natalie next week?

Anyway, I am certainly looking forward to episodes 3-6 of "March to Madness", aka "More Things Katie Lou Can't Do".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wait...the best line had to be when Katie Lou went to milk cows and asked Tierney how do you know it's a her and Tierney patiently answered they're all hers. Classic Lou
Yup, for as badass as she is on court and as tough as nails, she has the 'dumb blond' act down (and yeah it is an act.)

Reaction Score
Wait...the best line had to be when Katie Lou went to milk cows and asked Tierney how do you know it's a her and Tierney patiently answered they're all hers. Classic Lou

Apparently she's never seen "Witness"....

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Like many of the 'yarders' I am a long time fan (season tix holder since they joined the Big East). I watch what has happened (11 Nat Championships?), the press we get (NYT? really the NYT?), and a Documentary by HBO (HBO, really HBO?) and can only grin like a village idiot and wonder how did it all happen. How many fans in any sport get to experience this kind of joy? Just be thankful and enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
Don't get HBO so the comments are terrific. Hopefully I can find the show posted somewhere. Glad to hear that Pheesa got her due and that Lou was introduced to cows....people from California really are from another world. In her case, a charmingly different world.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou was introduced to cows....people from California really are from another world. In her case, a charmingly different world.
I do believe that California has a substantial dairy and cattle business, although it's certainly not anywhere near Huntington Beach where Lou grew up.

Reaction Score
Don't get HBO so the comments are terrific. Hopefully I can find the show posted somewhere. Glad to hear that Pheesa got her due and that Lou was introduced to cows....people from California really are from another world. In her case, a charmingly different world.
The first show is posted on uconnhuskygames.com. Not sure when this one will be posted.

Reaction Score
Lou and Kia, and to some degree Gabby, seem to get it, but I'm afraid Pheesa, Saniya, Crystal and the rest aren't clued in yet. Lou and Kia are turning into TV stars. Tierney also shined in last night's cow milking segment. Everyone else is missing an opportunity to establish an off-court, on-camera persona. Think of the Kardashians: utterly and shamelessly untalented yet possessing a license to print money because of ONLY their on-camera presences. Kia and Lou have shared their charisma but we've seen only fleeting glances of the rest of the team. There are commentating careers, TV presenter careers, etc. to be had and those jobs pay well! What looks better in one's CV than some HBO footage showing how you shine?!

There are, potentially, three or four more segments remaining in this series - plenty of time. Loosen up, Huskies!

Reaction Score
The first one is gone from huskygames. If they post the second, watch quick before it goes!

Reaction Score

You can sign up for HBO streaming service HBO Now. It's $15/month, but the first month is free and you can cancel anytime. It's a little bit of a process as you can't download the app to your laptop. I downloaded it to my android phone using google play and then once you have an account you can sign in to HBO now on your laptop. I also had to download an updated flashplayer version, but that took about 3 seconds. Did the whole thing in about ten minutes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There was something Lou's dad said that I thought was profound and Genoesgue and I don't recall it exactly. Something along these lines: Everyone wants to shoot, but it's a different thing when its your job. Then I recall Episode 1 with Lou shooting on an empty court saying everyone relies on her to make her shoots and she's good with that, she isn't shying away from it. Now I know where she got that from.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was something Lou's dad said that I thought was profound and Genoesgue and I don't recall it exactly. Something along these lines: Everyone wants to shoot, but it's a different thing when its your job. Then I recall Episode 1 with Lou shooting on an empty court saying everyone relies on her to make her shoots and she's good with that, she isn't shying away from it. Now I know where she got that from.
Yes, I heard that too, and what I thought of was Geno's comments, echoed by Lou, after the USF game that Lou worried too much about her shot. He attributed Lou's shooting brilliance vs the Bulls, the result of doing everything else and not worrying about her shot.

If that is in fact the recipe for Lou's success, I'm hoping she doesn't think about shooting so long as she puts on a Husky uniform.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom