Hawaii wants to join the Pac 12 | The Boneyard

Hawaii wants to join the Pac 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From SB Nation, not only is Hawaii not going to drop football, but buried in their financial documents it's clear the Athletic Department has aspirations to get even bigger:

Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_12.11.21_PM.0.png

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../hawaii-warriors-football-program-coach-money

It's an interesting read. FWIW, I can't imagine the Pac 12 considering them a serious candidate considering they already get burned for having voters in bed by the time their games start at 10/11 p.m. EST.

Reaction Score
In related news, the University of American Samoa is exploring establishing an athletics program with eventual plans to join the really PAC12 and enable further distribution in the world's fastest growing oceanic region and beyond across Asia.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
brasssbonanzaa said:
Maine would love to join the Big 10, too.

Maine is actually closer to some P12 schools than Hawaii. On average they are about the same distance.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm of the opinion that Hawaii and BYU both make the most sense for PAC expansion. They've said they wanted to increase their footprint and viewership in the Pacific Islands, and there are a BUNCH of Mormon missionaries throughout the Pacific...most of which sponsored directly by BYU. That is the ONLY reason BYU makes sense mind you, but for that reason alone I think the conference might hold their nose and take them. Hawaii being in the PAC makes sense for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm of the opinion that Hawaii and BYU both make the most sense for PAC expansion. They've said they wanted to increase their footprint and viewership in the Pacific Islands, and there are a BUNCH of Mormon missionaries throughout the Pacific...most of which sponsored directly by BYU. That is the ONLY reason BYU makes sense mind you, but for that reason alone I think the conference might hold their nose and take them. Hawaii being in the PAC makes sense for obvious reasons.

Larry Scott and the Pac-12 have begun playing bball games in China and throughout Asia with the plan of bringing football there as well.

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/05/12/pac-12-reaches-agreement-alibaba-support-historic-china-game

http://www.businessinsider.com/pac-12-china-2011-12

I didn't think about this in that sense, but if the Pac 12 really wants to open up market share in China then having Hawaii would actually make a lot of sense. Give people in Asia games to watch at a time of day that is more reasonable.

Reaction Score
I didn't think about this in that sense, but if the Pac 12 really wants to open up market share in China then having Hawaii would actually make a lot of sense. Give people in Asia games to watch at a time of day that is more reasonable.
With direct experience on the mainland and across Asia, live and tape delayed NBA games are broadcasted at all sorts of times in China and elsewhere in some other East Asia countries. However, most Chinese and East Asian basketball fans and gamblers don't care a lick let alone know jack sh|t about college hoops. That could change, but the likelihood the Pac12 truly cares about Hawaii is dubious at best.

Even though Hawaii might work being 18 hours behind China during winter months, the added costs (financially, academically, etc.) would be prohibitive for most conference schools' various programs traveling to/fro Oahu let alone the Rainbows' Olympic sports road tripping to/fro the mainland.

Reaction Score
The PAC is Hawaii's only hope. That said, the PAC clearly believes its future lies east, i.e. poaching the XII. Sorry Hawaii.

pj

Reaction Score
If a new ice age were to begin, Hawaii would become extremely valuable. A 200m drop in sea level would increase its land area, and all the people who moved away from Chicago and New York would be looking for new homes.

Maybe the Pac will plan ahead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If a new ice age were to begin, Hawaii would become extremely valuable. A 200m drop in sea level would increase its land area, and all the people who moved away from Chicago and New York would be looking for new homes.

Maybe the Pac will plan ahead.
Oh it's coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member