OT: Hawaii help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hawaii help

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Only been once, for two weeks. Got married on Maui, stayed on Lanai for a few days, couple of days on Oahu and several on the Big Island. Probably wouldn't go back, definitely a "been there, done that" destination. Caveat is I was in travel industry at the time had connections that got me kamaaina rates, so I could easily afford better resorts.

My suggestions, based on your kids' ages and that you like beaches but not hiking:

Spend a decent amount of time on Big Island. It's probably most interesting for kids those ages. You can see/do anything from visiting a rain forest, a cattle ranch, a coffee farm, a volcano, and many beaches.

Big Island has best snorkeling, but you'll want to be in one of the bigger resorts (e.g. Orchid or neighboring Hilton or Four Seasons) to take advantage of it as the coves at those resorts are well protected and safe. Lots of families.

And Big Island also has the best steakhouse, Merriman's, which is upland. You and the kids will get sick of macadamia-crusted mahi-mahi in about two days, so having a steakhouse is paramount.

If this is a "once in a lifetime trip" then spring for the helicopter ride over the volcano. Kids won't be forgetting seeing lava flowing into the ocean for awhile.

The smaller islands are great for couples and golf and maybe hiking but that's about it. Maui is also more couples oriented, and IMO, would be boring for kids as there's not a ton other than beaches. If you do find yourself on Maui, consider taking the boat over to Lanai (it's a hoot, you may be traveling with goats and chickens), rent a Jeep and go drive through some pineapple fields (which may not be legal, but we enjoyed it!).

Oahu is certainly cosmopolitan, but Honolulu is just another big city when you get down to it. Visiting Pearl Harbor should be on the to-do list and will be educational and interesting for the kids, but I will warn you that you may get upset at the disrespect shown by numerous Japanese tourists. And it's possible your beach views will be interrupted by long photo sessions of Japanese & Taiwanese newlyweds. That might be a summer thing, but seemed there were a ton of them when we went. Oahu is probably also where you do the touristy "traditional luau" thing. And yes, poi really does suck.

If I were to ever go back, I'd probably want to golf on Kauai as it's the one (and Molokai) that I haven't been to. But I'd spend the bulk of my time on the Big Island.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Went for 12 Days and took the Non-Stop from Newark which is really that bad. If you leave on an off day, the plan is rarely full from what I heard. Had room to spread out.

1. Big island for 4 days and did the black sand beack, volcano national, etc. (AirBNB a house a 10 min drive from the park)

2. Maui for 4 days and stayed in Kaanapali Beach which was amazing. We got a rental at the Whaler Village Condos which was way cheaper than any hotel around there.

3. Kaui for 4 days and stayed in Poipou in the South at a Hotel. Great hiking, great beaches. Lots of local spots and Kaui is still almost a jungle at this point.

Hit me up for any specifics. We went in late September. If I had to do it agian, id skip the hotel in Kaui. The hotels are ridiculously expensive and there are deals to be had through rentals.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would say 9 days is the minimum if you plan to visit 2 islands. 10 is better and would allow 2 nights in Honolulu which a first time visitor should do but no one else.

I'd do it 3 nights in Maui
3 nights in either Hawaii or Kuaui.
2 nights in Honolulu on the way home.

Maui has the most to do. Kuaui is quieter. The Big Island is the most distinct from the others.

If it is your first trip, use an agent who knows Hawaii. Most don't and will Google stuff that you can also find.

Been 3 times and planning a 4th trip at some point.

Maui:
Road to Hana (start early) stop at Red Sand beach.
Haleakula sunrise, bike down
Day sail to Lania
Day a Makena Beach (Big Beach)
Shave ice
Plate lunch
Old Lahinia
Swim with Turtles in Honolua Bay

Kauai:
Poipu Beach (Sheraton side)
Na Pali Coast Cruise
Bernakes Beach Bar and Grill
Sunset at Lee Beach
Waimea Canyon

Big Island:
VNP
Lava walks
Kona
Waikola beaches
Captain Cook monument
Helicopter tour

We did a circumnavigation of the island in a day.

Oahu:
Arizona and Missouri
Waikiki, just to see it.

Reaction Score
Kauai:
Na Pali Coast Cruise
Sunset at Lee Beach
ea Canyon
Funny that the filter on here won't let you type Wai-mea (I put the hyphen in so you can see it). It happened to me also in my write up. Is Wai-mea a Hawaiian swear word?

I see some people are saying go to the Big Island. We had a great time there also even though I said go to Maui and Kauai if you're limiting the trip to 2 islands. But you can't go wrong between those 3 islands no matter how you split it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say 9 days is the minimum if you plan to visit 2 islands. 10 is better and would allow 2 nights in Honolulu which a first time visitor should do but no one else.

I'd do it 3 nights in Maui
3 nights in either Hawaii or Kuaui.
2 nights in Honolulu on the way home.

Maui has the most to do. Kuaui is quieter. The Big Island is the most distinct from the others.

If it is your first trip, use an agent who knows Hawaii. Most don't and will Google stuff that you can also find.

Been 3 times and planning a 4th trip at some point.

Maui:
Road to Hana (start early) stop at Red Sand beach.
Haleakula sunrise, bike down
Day sail to Lania
Day a Makena Beach (Big Beach)
Shave ice
Plate lunch
Old Lahinia
Swim with Turtles in Honolua Bay

Kauai:
Na Pali Coast Cruise
Sunset at Lee Beach
ea Canyon

Big Island:
VNP
Lava walks
Kona
Waikola beaches
Captain Cook monument
Helicopter tour

We did a circumnavigation of the island in a day.

Oahu:
Arizona and Missouri
Waikiki, just to see it.

I didn’t like doing three islands in one 10 day trip. Felt like we were constantly lugging bags, packing and unpacking and catching flights.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I didn’t like doing three islands in one 10 day trip. Felt like we were constantly lugging bags, packing and unpacking and catching flights.

That's why you do Honolulu first or last. I would skip it completely but if you are doing a family trip for the first time, you sort of have to if only for the Arizona/Missouri museums.

If you fly out on Saturday evening you can hit the giant flea market at Aloha Stadium beforehand. Get all you souvenir gifts at a huge discount.

Also if you are with family, you can do a lot worse than a sunset reservation at Duke's and have some Hula Pie. FYI their is also a Duke's on Maui. My advice is to share it.

Reaction Score

Agree. Too much to do on 3 islands in only 10 days. Need 12 minimum for 3, but can do 2 in 10 days. If in doubt always spend the extra day or two, it will be well worth it.

Reaction Score
That's why you do Honolulu first or last. I would skip it completely but if you are doing a family trip for the first time, you sort of have to if only for the Arizona/Missouri museums.

If you fly out on Saturday evening you can hit the giant flea market at Aloha Stadium beforehand. Get all you souvenir gifts at a huge discount.

Also if you are with family, you can do a lot worse than a sunset reservation at Duke's and have some Hula Pie. FYI their is also a Duke's on Maui. My advice is to share it.

I did Honolulu first. And like I said, it felt like the moment I was comfortable in one spot, I was repacking, taking a taxi and shuffling off the catch the flight to my next island.

Reaction Score
I did Honolulu first. And like I said, it felt like the moment I was comfortable in one spot, I was repacking, taking a taxi and shuffling off the catch the flight to my next island.

Deepster is right. For the amount of time you may go, seeing a bunch of islands for multiple days may get too hectic. You will need time just to chill, so much to see and do, your brain gets fried.

I recommend setting up your main stay hotel either Big Island or Maui, then do a day trip to Honolulu (you will only need 1 day to see the sights). There are really cheap hops between the islands. You can get on a 5 or 6 am flight, get a car drive to Pearl Harbor (when you set up when you want to go, buy tickets ahead of time), drive around the island - stop up in the North Shore for sights and shopping, get Mastumoto's Shave Ice (with the ice cream, youll thank me later) and Ted's Bakery (local pie shop). Then drive down around the north side past Turtle Bay over to the east side toward the Kualoa Ranch (Jurassic Park filming area). You can stop in Kailua for beach time, Lanakai beach is one of the top beaches in the world (but I'm biased because I lived there). Kailua also has good local food places. Then you can keep driving til you hit the south side of the island, east of Waikiki. Youll go past Koko Head Crater, Diamond Head Crater and Waikiki stopping if you have time. Waikiki is nice to say you've seen it, but its just like any big city, but with a very crowded beach. Even if you do nothing but sight see on Oahu, the island gives you a million great picture stops.

Man I miss Hawaii...if you pay for my ticket, I can be your tour guide! Hope you enjoy it!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The native islanders hate white people. Be careful.
Dress like this. You'll fit right in.
upload_2017-12-14_11-56-9.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nice pedicure bruh. I see the clear coat. Not judging. I get mine done once a year.
Ahhh Thailand. I almost ended up either there or Myanmar this year, before ending up in Guatemala. I went in 2009 and it was dirt cheap. Beer for under a dollar, huge bowls of noodles for about a dollar, bamboo hut on the beach for 6 bucks, bike rentals for about a dollar per day, motorcycle rental for the day for under 10....is it still super cheap there? I think the most expensie thing in Southeast Asia, for me, was the 3 day, 50 dollar pass for Angkor Wat.

Reaction Score
I was in Oahu over the holidays visiting the future in-laws. Spent a few days on the Big Island. I've only done those two, see Oahu post before, Maui & Kuai next time. My fiancee is from Oahu, they like Big Island the best. Fire and ice. More for the adventurous, not as much for the R&R beach goers. But the beaches are great too if you want both.

Volcano National Park was awesome. We hiked to the lava at night. Much more daunting hike than expected. Miles over undulating lava rock in the dark not knowing if we'd fall in. Pro-tip: start 3-4 hrs before sunset. Not for kids, not for non-adventurous, not for the faint of heart. People were hobbling back with sprained ankles. The payoff was worth it. A few meters from flowing lava, unreal. The caldera at night was cool too.

The giant manta ray night snorkel was unreal too. Not for the faint of heart either. Cold water temps while sustaining a flat arm outreach position for 45 mins. Adrenaline keeps you going. Older kids only. They come up to within an inch of your body. Don't touch!

Do a snorkel tour out of Kona. Fine, for kids. Maybe 10+? Captain Cook, Two Step, and remote southern location. They'll show you all the coastal lava rock formations. Dolphins too. Pro tip: At Captain Cook, go out among the rocks at the point, that was best. You're almost pushing tropical fish out of the way. Make sure you find a Honu.

We stumbled upon Merriman's as mentioned by @storrsroars. Delightful. Don't leave without trying the bread pudding.

Stay in VNP, stay in Kona, rent a 4x4 (For Green sand beach and Mauna Kea summit). We had an amazing Airbnb for $100/night in Kona.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Great ideas!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members