Haven't seen this posted. Zion, Duke, Adidas. | The Boneyard

Haven't seen this posted. Zion, Duke, Adidas.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
least shocking news ever. I remember when he committed, Duke was not even considering a strong finalist. It shocked everyone, including all the insidersand just seemed suspicious. Don’t get me wrong though, I love me some Zion.

But, where there is smoke, usually there is fire.

This came out in June of 2020

Reaction Score
least shocking news ever. I remember when he committed, Duke was not even considering a strong finalist. It shocked everyone, including all the insidersand just seemed suspicious. Don’t get me wrong though, I love me some Zion.

The house is one thing, but I don't think an Adidas exec was bribing him to go to a Nike school.

Reaction Score
Good for the Williamson’s.

It’s annoying that, if this had happened at any school other than Duke, it would be a huge deal. But I’m not upset about about the act itself - and neither should anyone else be!

Reaction Score
The house is one thing, but I don't think an Adidas exec was bribing him to go to a Nike school.
I remember that - he announced on a Saturday iirc and I was at a UConn game and had the chance to chat with Jeff Goodman (he was surprisingly pleasant and earned a change of heart from me that day). I explicitly asked him about Zion and he told me people were hearing Clemson.

Reaction Score
I remember that - he announced on a Saturday iirc and I was at a UConn game and had the chance to chat with Jeff Goodman (he was surprisingly pleasant and earned a change of heart from me that day). I explicitly asked him about Zion and he told me people were hearing Clemson.

I think his step-father came out and basically said "Clemson had a huge lead and they blew it."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

It shouldn’t be shocking when we know that Kansas offered him money.

And yet people on here think that a guy like Williamson will go somewhere else for free...

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
This is not uncommon for top recruits and to think this stuff does not happen at many of the major schools is naive. The disappointing part is the NCAA picking and choosing who to go after when we know they know this is common practice everywhere.

I have had the pleasure of meeting multiple high level college basketball/football players and have actually had this conversation with them. I know for a fact that they were offered money and gifts to attend schools they did not end up attending. Which begs the question what did the school they did attend give them? They did not say they were given anything but I am also not the type of person to press the issue as I really do not care.

Reaction Score
I feel like the 20-30 year old version of me would of been outraged by this. The 40 something year old version of me doesn't really care.

The only reason to care is that Duke can get away with it. Otherwise, caring about the payment itself is beyond dumb

Reaction Score
Gasp But I thought Duke's academics were enough to reel in any recruit they wanted

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does it really matter? The payments make him ineligible to regardless of why they made them. Duke should have to vacate all wins the 2018-2019 for playing an ineligible player. Since they failed to identify the ineligible player, they should get a failure to monitor penalty and lose a season post season eligibility. K should be suspended for the 3 games. There is NCAA precedent for all of that.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter? The payments make him ineligible to regardless of why they made them. Duke should have to vacate all wins the 2018-2019 for playing an ineligible player. Since they failed to identify the ineligible player, they should get a failure to monitor penalty and lose a season post season eligibility. K should be suspended for the 3 games. There is NCAA precedent for all of that.

It matters in the context of a post where the implication is that these monies are part of what brought Zion to Duke. That's what I was responding to. I'm aware that the payments would make him ineligible. I get how that works.

Reaction Score
The only reason to care is that Duke can get away with it. Otherwise, caring about the payment itself is beyond dumb
The list of schools that can get away with it is growing. Is it fair to say Arizona can get away with it?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow, what a shock
The white as driven snow Coach K has really bought into this one and done screw all decency win at any cost way of doing business
Yeah K didn't know any of this was going on, right Dickie V?

Reaction Score
Didn't Duke conduct their own internal investigation and determine this was a non issue? Head bang

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Duke does something=a nothing burger

Uconn does something=a year out of the tournament

But Duke is a blue blood just look at UNC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, what a shock
The white as driven snow Coach K has really bought into this one and done screw all decency win at any cost way of doing business
Yeah K didn't know any of this was going on, right Dickie V?
DD5640D7-7F07-4C7F-8122-309883923CC9.jpeg

“Coach K didn’t know baby! He was taken advantage of by a diaper dandy!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom