Haven't beaten a top team | The Boneyard

Haven't beaten a top team

Reaction Score
Several podcasts I listen to bring up that the top teams UConn has beaten are not truly top ten caliber teams. It seems like a ridiculous argument to me. So far to me it seems like there is a clear top 6 in some order Purdue Kansas UConn Arizona Houston Marquette (Although Houston is still a question to me best win at home against a meh A&M team) but after that who are these other actual top ten teams. UNC and the ZAGs have as good a case as anyone. They didn't look like top ten teams because they played us and looked bad. This might be news to the media but that is going to happen a lot this year.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Several podcasts I listen to bring up that the top teams UConn has beaten are not truly top ten caliber teams. It seems like a ridiculous argument to me. So far to me it seems like there is a clear top 6 in some order Purdue Kansas UConn Arizona Houston Marquette (Although Houston is still a question to me best win at home against a meh A&M team) but after that who are these other actual top ten teams. UNC and the ZAGs have as good a case as anyone. They didn't look like top ten teams because they played us and looked bad. This might be news to the media but that is going to happen a lot this year.
To be fair, this is likely the worst Gonzaga team in a decade. They are nowhere near a top-10 team.

UNC is the one borderline top 10-15 team we have played and beat so I would hang our hat on that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Texas and UNC are pretty good. Gonzaga is short, slow, and have no shooters. Ike was terrible. Once we sagged off Nembhard he was useless. Watson is really good but no one else strikes fear in anyone.

Reaction Score
We were the best team in the country as a 5th seed, so what's their point? There's always some angle that lets you argue anything, but I bet none of them want to be in our bracket come tourney time.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

As you say, nobody looks good when we're stomping them

Reaction Score
We were the best team in the country as a 5th seed, so what's their point? There's always some angle that lets you argue anything.
4 :)
IMG_3134.jpeg

Reaction Score
You've got to always remember your handle when listening to unflattering podcasts.

Reaction Score
I think we are under ranked.

If you look at other teams and put the same microscope to them - their flaws are much larger than ours. Whether it’s Kansas squeaking by an unranked team to eek out a win or Houston’s schedule.

These would be Great topics, much better than trying to find fault with double digit victories over top programs from the East to West Coast.

Luckily, our program doesn’t meaure itself by ranking… we have bigger ambitions!

Reaction Score
Gonzaga isn’t the Gonzaga we’re used to, but they’re still going to be a top 25 program all year. Probably closer to top 15 since there’s not many difficult games left on their schedule and they should pile up wins

We’ll see more of what UNC is made of in the next 2 weeks. They have a good win, a great win, 2 acceptable losses, and one head scratcher (Nova). But RJ Davis and Bacot look legit

I think Texas will rise in the rankings. They have 2 expected losses and a bunch of easy wins. They don’t play a truly difficult game for another month. They should be 15-2 or 14-3 before they get to the tough part of conference play

But right now I think the only truly elite teams are Purdue, Kansas, UConn, Zona, and Marquette tbh. So in that sense we haven’t beat an elite team. But we have some GREAT wins, all won convincingly. In a great position for seeding and we haven’t even touched BE play yet

Reaction Score
IMO, of the four power conference-plus-Gonzaga wins we earned in the non-con:
-I think Texas will age the best for us, but to a lesser extent than Alabama last season or Auburn the year before. Once they're fully healthy in the Big 12 I think they're dangerous.
-UNC will probably improve as a win, but slightly less than the brand name would normally suggest, mostly because I think the ACC is down.
-Indiana... yeah they played Kansas close at home this weekend but they're really going to have to surprise to the upside in the Big Ten for it to be valuable for us.
-Gonzaga may seem less impressive by late January/February. They're not the Gonzaga of the last 3-4 years this season... and that's okay.

All in all, I think it's roughly similar to last year's non-conference results. We beat some better "brands"/teams than Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Oregon last season, which permits us a close road loss to Kansas.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don’t listen to podcasts.

Reaction Score
It's true that we haven't beaten any world-beaters, but then again, so have few others.

Gonzaga, UNC, and Texas are all overrated and won't be as "quality" wins as those teams' ranking indicated at the time. Those are basically 2nd round to maybe Sweet 16 caliber teams.

But we've beaten them convincingly and played a close game against a true contender on the road, which means we've looked the part of a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Don’t bother listening to that stuff. If they don’t say anything controversial, then there’s nothing to debate or get a reaction from. It’s all intentional BS

Reaction Score
We're getting fe ll ated by pretty much everyone. I don't know where the OP is coming from.

Edit: This filter is no joke.
I have no problem with what OP said but now that pretty much everyone thinks we're the best this fanbase is struggling. There's some who seem to always want to feel slighted and others who view the program as the little engine that could.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If someone posted that stuff on the Yard, one would call them a troll. Handle accordingly.

Reaction Score
It's true that we haven't beaten any world-beaters, but then again, so have few others.

Gonzaga, UNC, and Texas are all overrated and won't be as "quality" wins as those teams' ranking indicated at the time. Those are basically 2nd round to maybe Sweet 16 caliber teams.

But we've beaten them convincingly and played a close game against a true contender on the road, which means we've looked the part of a #1 seed.
This whole line of thinking is flawed…. We are only in December… there are no world-beaters yet. That‘s what happening right now is to try and figure out who’s for real.

I find it interesting many here are trying to “stick the fork” in teams we beat. Got news it’s only December and those same teams might knock us out at Tourney time. Remember who we lost to last year in late December/early January / it wasn’t pretty.

All this discussion of some supposed Podcast is only reporting of Hating on Uconn that goes on this time of year. Blah.. blah,,

It doesn‘t even move the needle for me to get irritated. My only point is that if you look at teams ranked ahead of us I don’t see a much / if any better case for #1 ranking. Not even Kansas who‘s had closer games and played us 7-5 at home and still needed an injured Cam to miss to win the game.

Reaction Score
If you read the names of the schools we played, it sounds a lot better than their performances so far this year.

KenPom has us ranked 250 for Non Conference SOS..a lot different from Purdue's 6th ranked NCSOS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom