OT: - Have you ever been in the coaches dog house? | The Boneyard

OT: Have you ever been in the coaches dog house?

Reaction Score
I have, twice.

The first was in 5th grade. The coach was Mr. gage, liked to run the press and would scream it everytime an opponent made a basket. I was a good player, especially skilled at cleaning up the offensive glass. But I sometimes struggled on the defensive glass, never sure why, despite being one of the taller ones on the court most of the time and getting lots of put backs and second chance points. Towards the end of the season he called me a pansy loudly. The next game he did not play me in the second half and I had five minutes in the first half at an age when you are supposed to split time evenly. I was one of the best players on the team but he did not like me. What stung was my older brother had flown in from Florida to watch me play. Just a few weeks prior I had like 20 points and 10 boards, most of them on the offensive glass against a team of (three) trees that had beaten everyone else by 30 or more. In fact their guard was taller than our center. We only lost by 4, 64 to 60 and were tied with a minute left. Not to take credit but I was a large part why. Any way I never got why I was in that guys doghouse at the end of the season, he just did not like me. He was a huge @h0le, really nuts in hindsight, like a mean version of that coach from Hey Arnold, looks and all.

The second was in 7th grade basketball. I scored 1/3rd of the teams points, something like 30 points as well as 5 assists or so but I had a key miss at the end of the game that allowed the opponents to win 86-84. Instead of passing to an open team mate for the 2 and tie I pulled up for the deep 3 to try and win. After the coach noted my selfish play at the end. He did not say blame me but said the cliche ¨There is no I in team¨. I got super defensive, rolled my eyes and said ¨Yah, but there is a me..¨ In hindsight a dumb move and I did not play for like a week. I was run ragged in practice but deserved it.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yep. I kidded a teammate for striking out during a game between UConn Stamford and UConn Groton and Coach Mazza asked me if I wanted to walk home from Groton. He also lambasted me for not going full out in practice while I was recovering from a hammy. Basically said if I can't go 100%, don't show up. I got into one game that season, last game, late inning replacement. And walked. No official ABs. Like I was Moonlight Graham.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have, twice.

The first was in 5th grade. The coach was Mr. gage, liked to run the press and would scream it everytime an opponent made a basket. I was a good player, especially skilled at cleaning up the offensive glass. But I sometimes struggled on the defensive glass, never sure why, despite being one of the taller ones on the court most of the time and getting lots of put backs and second chance points. Towards the end of the season he called me a pansy loudly. The next game he did not play me in the second half and I had five minutes in the first half at an age when you are supposed to split time evenly. I was one of the best players on the team but he did not like me. What stung was my older brother had flown in from Florida to watch me play. Just a few weeks prior I had like 20 points and 10 boards, most of them on the offensive glass against a team of (three) trees that had beaten everyone else by 30 or more. In fact their guard was taller than our center. We only lost by 4, 64 to 60 and were tied with a minute left. Not to take credit but I was a large part why. Any way I never got why I was in that guys doghouse at the end of the season, he just did not like me. He was a huge @h0le, really nuts in hindsight, like a mean version of that coach from Hey Arnold, looks and all.

The second was in 7th grade basketball. I scored 1/3rd of the teams points, something like 30 points as well as 5 assists or so but I had a key miss at the end of the game that allowed the opponents to win 86-84. Instead of passing to an open team mate for the 2 and tie I pulled up for the deep 3 to try and win. After the coach noted my selfish play at the end. He did not say blame me but said the cliche ¨There is no I in team¨. I got super defensive, rolled my eyes and said ¨Yah, but there is a me..¨ In hindsight a dumb move and I did not play for like a week. I was run ragged in practice but deserved it.
Your 7th grade basketball team was putting up 90 points? Dayummmm

Reaction Score
Yes, In college. Coach flipped out told me I was the worst defensive player he’s ever seen. I countered that I was second on the team in steals. He flipped out even worse because my statement just proved how much I like to gamble for steals.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In 6th grade I got in a fight with my own teammate during a game. We both spent plenty of time on the pine after that, but alas, it did not kindle goodwill between us. The guy grew up to be a Devendorf level , apparently having switched to fighting women after high school.

Reaction Score
I'm in it right now. I swim and the coach put me in a longer distance event (I'm a sprinter) and chewed me out in front of the team for not "going fast enough." Well sorry I tried my best but whatever. Called me out for the second time today in front of the team. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
I'm in it right now. I swim and the coach put me in a longer distance event (I'm a sprinter) and chewed me out in front of the team for not "going fast enough." Well sorry I tried my best but whatever. Called me out for the second time today in front of the team. Sucks, but it is what it is.

At uconn?

Reaction Score
That game was an outlier, no D plus it did go to three over times which helped. Generally games were in the mid 40s to mid 50s.

Reaction Score
When I was in Jr High I remember we beat a school 84 to 25. The team was real good...and I was not, played a couple minutes here and there. Although I could always. shoot.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I've been in my wife's doghouse. It's almost satisfying when there was actually a legit reason!
The wife's doghouse? That's where the postman delivers my mail...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I had one man to beat. I faked him with a feint to the left as I drove to the hoop (I virtually always went left), then went straight toward the hoop for an uncontested scoop over the front edge of the hoop. FORT THE EAD!

It was the prettiest basket I ever scored.

Coach wanted every shot by a non-guard to be shot off the back board with two hands. I kid you not. I had broken two of his cardinal rules. I didn't use the backboard and I shot with one hand. And as the tallest and slowest guy on the team, I was the defacto center.

I was almost immediately benched, and did not see the court again for three games, and then only because the kid he had given my minutes to sprained his ankle. I wasn't great, but the kid that replaced me wouldn't know a rebound if it fell into his lap and we lost the three games I was held out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. Southington HS baseball summer of 76 between junior and senior year. Forget what I did exactly but punishment was classic coach John Fontana. Had to show up at the track for one week Monday-Friday to run a mile. Roll up day one, look up into the football stands overlooking the field and the track and Fontana’s son Mike is sitting alone up there. That kid was there every day that week to make darn sure I showed up on time and did in fact run my mile. Loved playing ball at SHS, and loved playing for one of the greatest high school baseball coaches of all time.

Reaction Score
My Junior year in high school early in the soccer season, I was in the weight room on the leg press sled working my way back from an ACL tear. Our new coach, who replaced a great guy who had to relocate to Europe for a new role with his company after my Sophomore year (the team won a State title my Freshman year under him), came-up to me. I have barely interacted with him at that time because I had not yet been cleared by my Doc for full practice; but, he knew I was running with the team during warm-ups. So, in the middle of set he proclaims to the entire room that I should not even put in the effort as I will never see the field for a Varsity game and would be lucky to leave the bench for JV game. I guess he remembered me from 8th Grade club travel.

For his Club Soccer team, he a had a chosen few (one of which was a high ranking school administrator's son (thus the coaching job) who played all of the time and did whatever they wanted. For others, we had to 'earn' playing time. To get playing time on defense we had to beat him in a 1v1 drill at the end of practice. Supposedly, he played soccer in Italy at one point. He was flashy, fast, and made a show of an 40+ year old man embarrassing a bunch of 13 year old kids.

So, at one spring practice in 8th grade, he said something to a friend of mine during the 1v1 that made me see red. I was up next. As he insisted on starting first with the ball, I 'passed' the ball to him hard and high and then charged right at him. Before he could gain full control of the ball, I launched into a face-to-face slide tackle and scooped the ball clearly off of his foot. I popped-up with the ball while he is still over me, which sends him flying onto his arse, and then I drill the ball between the cones for a goal from about 20 yards out. He screams at me 'what * was that.' I turn around and smile. 'A textbook slide tackle and counter resulting in a goal. So, I'm starting on defense next game?' I swear I never left the bench the rest of the spring.

I did get cleared by October to play; but, never saw the field and practice was a living hell for me and others. I did not even go out for the team my Senior year. Many of my friends did the same. He lasted 3 or 4 seasons and made the playoffs just once, his first season, before being asked to move on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My thouhts exactly, my son's 6th grade team scores maybe 50, tops 60 a game. But, they do commit 90 or so fouls a game (most of which are not called, fortunately).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I had one man to beat. I faked him with a feint to the left as I drove to the hoop (I virtually always went left), then went straight toward the hoop for an uncontested scoop over the front edge of the hoop. FORT THE EAD!

Coach wanted every shot by a non-guard to be shot off the back board with two hands. I kid you not. I had broken two of his cardinal rules. I didn't use the backboard and I shot with one hand. And as the tallest and slowest guy on the team, I was the defacto center.

I was almost immediately benched, and did not see the court again for three games, and then only because the kid he had given my minutes to sprained his ankle. I wasn't great, but the kid that replaced me wouldn't know a rebound if it fell into his lap and we lost the three games I was held out.

I didn't realize the peach baskets had backboards.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Was your coach Norman Dale?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes.

I shot a kid in Little League once.

Had to - he jogged across the pitcher’s mound.

Unwritten rule, bitch.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yes. Southington HS baseball summer of 76 between junior and senior year. Forget what I did exactly but punishment was classic coach John Fontana. Had to show up at the track for one week Monday-Friday to run a mile. Roll up day one, look up into the football stands overlooking the field and the track and Fontana’s son Mike is sitting alone up there. That kid was there every day that week to make darn sure I showed up on time and did in fact run my mile. Loved playing ball at SHS, and loved playing for one of the greatest high school baseball coaches of all time.
you and my father would have been at SHS at the same time I believe

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You swim what they tell you to swim.

If it’s a dual meet, the coach is likely trying to steal points from somewhere and you just need to do what you’re told. A dedicated sprinter in high school or most levels of college just isn’t a very useful piece - the shorter races are a spot where a coach can put a less advanced swimmer if he thinks he can steal points moving someone else around. If you’re pouting about having to go 100 or 200 yards, there’s likely a method to his madness and you should get over it. And also swim faster.

If it’s a USA Swimming event and it’s not a dual meet, your coach just hates you and you should consider a new club.

Reaction Score
Junior year of hoops in high school. I paid for a school ski trip to Stowe at the start of the school year and when January rolled around it coincided with a hoop game. I couldn't get my money back and missed the game. I was only a role player, but saw my minutes go way down for the rest of the year. The coach mentioned my ski trip in his senior speech for me at the hoop banquet a year later, and then handed me the "Most Dedicated Player" award.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Twice.
1. Junior year of high school, during a lax game we were losing by a lot, the ref blew a call so i looked over at him and go "that was ducking BS" 3 min locked in penalty
2. First hockey game of senior year; got into a little scrum early in the game, got a penalty and proceeded to get into a screaming match with my new coach and got benched for the 2nd period. We won 7-2 tho.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom