Have y'all come around yet? | The Boneyard

Have y'all come around yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's way past time for the USMNT to make a change. To not is to potentially stay home in 2018.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we lose the next game, Klinsmann needs to be shown the door. The fact that we may not even qualify for the Hex is beyond embarrassing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yup, but who? Bruce? Bob?

I will say that there it looks like a dearth of talent in the younger groups. No donovans, bradleys, or even any elite keepers. They may have better ball skills than in the past, but they lack speed in most spots and no one knows how to defend. Forget goal scoring. If Altidore is still a consideration, the how thin are we?

Reaction Score
It's way past time for the USMNT to make a change. To not is to potentially stay home in 2018.

I don't see how changing now makes it more likely that we qualify, and don't see the need to do it so it looks like we're trying. JK isn't my guy, and I'm fine when he moves on, but I'm also fine giving him the cycle (or until we're out of it).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no idea if the team is any good. There is no doubt in my mind that if they are we'll never know it with JK around.

Not sure why we'd throw in the towel on 2018 without at least trying to qualify.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe putting players into their positions would be a good start.

Reaction Score

It's too late for 2018. We'll lose Tuesday, and it's over at that point.

Reaction Score
I bet they beat Guatemala 3-0.

Last time they got smoked in the first game of the hex and it was a good wake up call.

But regardless, this group is so unlikeable. Part of me wants to see them not qualify because I don't ever want to see them play for the team again.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if the team is any good. There is no doubt in my mind that if they are we'll never know it with JK around.

Not sure why we'd throw in the towel on 2018 without at least trying to qualify.

But who do you get? Kreis? No thank you. Porter? Maybe. A retread like Bradley or Arena? I mean I think that Bradley would do a lot better in qualifying because he's way more pragmatic than other guys, but he's not a long term answer. And for all the good Arena did, he also was like 20 minutes away from not even qualifying for the 02' World Cup himself.

Klinsmann is incompetent, but the current coaching talent in the MLS isn't much better, and I can't see an international coach taking the job.

Reaction Score
But who do you get? Kreis? No thank you. Porter? Maybe. A retread like Bradley or Arena? I mean I think that Bradley would do a lot better in qualifying because he's way more pragmatic than other guys, but he's not a long term answer. And for all the good Arena did, he also was like 20 minutes away from not even qualifying for the 02' World Cup himself.

Klinsmann is incompetent, but the current coaching talent in the MLS isn't much better, and I can't see an international coach taking the job.

If and when JK is fired, an MLS/Garber puppet will be appointed. I would bet a few bucks that Landon Donovan's name will get tossed around.

Trust me. The MLS owners know the USMNT tv ratings and they are ginormous compared to MLS tv ratings. The USMNT is the best main stream penetration MLS can get, and it's a tangential connection.

When an MLS puppet is selected, then we can look forward to players like Harry Shipp and Wil Trapp being the standard bearers. They care more about the marketing bump than the Ws.

Reaction Score
Maybe putting players into their positions would be a good start.

Or at least providing consistency where possible outside of injuries so that players have a clear understanding of their role position, and learn how to communication and anticipate each other. The 'mad scientist' stuff from JK is frustrating to watch. I can only imagine how the players view it.

Reaction Score
If and when JK is fired, an MLS/Garber puppet will be appointed. I would bet a few bucks that Landon Donovan's name will get tossed around.

Trust me. The MLS owners know the USMNT tv ratings and they are ginormous compared to MLS tv ratings. The USMNT is the best main stream penetration MLS can get, and it's a tangential connection.

When an MLS puppet is selected, then we can look forward to players like Harry Shipp and Wil Trapp being the standard bearers. They care more about the marketing bump than the Ws.

All of this is the embodiment of false counterargument discussed here.

"By any quantitative measure, there shouldn't be a chance left. The team is in shambles and much of it can be laid at Klinsmann's feet. Of course the Americans aren't so talented that they can compete with the world's best, but they are talented enough to be one of the best team's in CONCACAF and right now they're not close. It's impossible to argue that the U.S. is playing up to its talent level, and that comes down in large part to players being played out of position, poor tactics and an inability to find a squad and approach that maximize the players' strengths. Those are all managerial failures.

To argue for Klinsmann and the team's recent performances (although at 18 months, recent is no longer so recent) is to bet on hope. It's to bet on a reputation and a shiny name. It's to bet on a fear of change. It surely isn't a bet on results or your eyes."

Reaction Score
If this thread is 50% accurate, especially about the MLS puppet stuff I am very scared.

Say what you will about Klinsmann but under his watch we have more kids playing at upper echelon Euro clubs than ever before. Unfortunately he won't be around to coach 'em. Bradley and Arena had Donovan and Dempsey at their peaks, Klinsmann was left with the trash. But PLEASE start Nagbe tomorrow...

Reaction Score
This situation is very reminiscent to the Costa Rica WCQ in Colorado. The Brian Straus article in Sporting News, the Philipp Lahm book, and the defeat in Honduras was like a black cloud hanging over the USMNT. A win over Costa Rica got the momentum back and covered up a lot of scars.

Put me clearly in the group that has grown tired of Klinsmann's reign. I say open up the interviews to all domestic and international candidates. Has Tab Ramos earned a in interview?

Reaction Score
This situation is very reminiscent to the Costa Rica WCQ in Colorado. The Brian Straus article in Sporting News, the Philipp Lahm book, and the defeat in Honduras was like a black cloud hanging over the USMNT. A win over Costa Rica got the momentum back and covered up a lot of scars.

Put me clearly in the group that has grown tired of Klinsmann's reign. I say open up the interviews to all domestic and international candidates. Has Tab Ramos earned a in interview?

I have to assume that Ramos is near the top of the list. Not sure where he would fall in the whole "MLS puppet" spectrum . . .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A loss or draw Tuesday would hurt a lot and remove any margin of error to reach the final hex.

Not making the final hex would be bad, very bad.

We've dropped away points in every WCQ cycle. That's not the reason for alarm. It's the Karate Kid III like development program that JK insists on runnning.

The best 4 defenders based on club position are Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, and F. Johnson. Current injuries aside, why are we not just going with the first three and look for a fourth so FJ can play left midfielder like he does at his club. A club in the Champions League.

Why don't we stop looking for a half rate version of Jones and just put Bradley there allowing one of the young guns or Dempsey to play the top of the diamond.

Why don't we let Zardes and Wood or Morris compete for the two strikers spots as none are midfielders.

That leave right midfield as the only open spot with about a dozen guys who can slug it put for that spot.

We will need a solid #1 GK. I don't think we have an elite keeper on the roster right now. Neither of the two main guys is in a good club situation. Maybe Howard regains form at colorado. Maybe Guzan finds a top level starting job. Not sure you can count on either, but we probably have to live with it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
17k tickets sold for tmrw says plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads