Have patience | The Boneyard

Have patience

Reaction Score
I sense that some posters are already second guessing. Building a winning D1 program out of the unmitigated disaster that we were is a task that takes years not months.
Just be happy with signs of steady progress. Those signs are there. The team is definitely improved in both performance and attitude.

Reaction Score
i think most people had the right idea going into the year, 3-4 wins but…

1. Week 0 raised some expectations. Now that we see Utah state really sucks we can lower those back down.

2. As much as a 4 win season would be a nice sign of progress, that’s still a really bad football team, and watching them play decent opponents is gonna be hard to watch. So there’s nothing wrong with expressing a lot of frustration over last nights game because it sucked. But also important to maintain perspective

Reaction Score
With the injuries being what they are I’m already looking forward to next season and having those injured players back getting reps with guys that already have a season under their belts.

Out depth next year should VASTLY improve.

Reaction Score
i think most people had the right idea going into the year, 3-4 wins but…

1. Week 0 raised some expectations. Now that we see Utah state really sucks we can lower those back down.

2. As much as a 4 win season would be a nice sign of progress, that’s still a really bad football team, and watching them play decent opponents is gonna be hard to watch. So there’s nothing wrong with expressing a lot of frustration over last nights game because it sucked. But also important to maintain perspective
Does Utah State really suck that bad, because it lost to Weber State? Maybe. Or maybe WSU is a juggernaut. Or both.

Reaction Score
With the injuries being what they are I’m already looking forward to next season and having those injured players back getting reps with guys that already have a season under their belts.

Out depth next year should VASTLY improve.
Unless our injuries are even worse next year.

Mora has been dealt a horrible hand. But he has to figure out a way to make them competitive this year.

Reaction Score
Baby steps.
Coach Mora has instilled a new attitude & is cleaning house to get HIS type of players. He's been dealt a bad hand with all of the injuries.
This is a young team with little depth. It also needs another year in the weight room.
As I was looking at the field on Saturday night, it seemed that position by position, Syracuse's team looked 25-30 pounds heavier than the Huskies. That could be because the Fruit have many more upperclassmen on their roster.
I am encouraged in general by the play on the field. The secondary, however needs a LOT of work in pass coverage. Also the defense HAS to have containment along the edge to keep the qb in the pocket.
I LOVE the running game led by Nate Carter. It's tough to run a complete offense when the best elements of your passing game is on the injured & inactive lists.

Reaction Score
We've already seen a pretty decent improvement from last year to this year. I mean look at our running game. It's one of the best in the country right now. I think losing Roberson at the beginning of the year hurt the offense a bit, but Turner is learning against some good teams and he doesn't seem too phased by it mentally. This will definitely do nothing but prepare him down the road.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Baby steps.
Coach Mora has instilled a new attitude & is cleaning house to get HIS type of players. He's been dealt a bad hand with all of the injuries.
This is a young team with little depth. It also needs another year in the weight room.
As I was looking at the field on Saturday night, it seemed that position by position, Syracuse's team looked 25-30 pounds heavier than the Huskies. That could be because the Fruit have many more upperclassmen on their roster.
I am encouraged in general by the play on the field. The secondary, however needs a LOT of work in pass coverage. Also the defense HAS to have containment along the edge to keep the qb in the pocket.
I LOVE the running game led by Nate Carter. It's tough to run a complete offense when the best elements of your passing game is on the injured & inactive lists.

I share this perspective. In person, the biggest challenges I saw were related to the players physicality (they have a lot of heart):
  • UCONN D-backs were smaller and slower than the Cuse receivers
  • UCONN D-line and O-line were lighter and weaker than the Cuse lines
  • UCONN QB was smaller with a weaker arm (I assume since the passes were rare and short)
  • UCONN Receivers were slower than Cuse DBs
On the plus side:
  • UCONN running backs were powerful and fast
  • UCONN linebackers had good vision and hit like the other guy owed them money
  • UCONN TEs have potential for catching and yards after catch
  • Most importantly, things are trending in the right direction.
In sum, this is the time for bandwagon fans to get on board. We won't reach Xanadu this year, but we are on the way.

Reaction Score
Baby steps.
Syracuse had a massive o-line and got a good push on the running plays, but we contained Tucker pretty well. Our o-line was able to run block pretty well, Syracuse's d-line wasn't that big. They had a size advantage with their receivers and d-backs. Schrader had too much time, especially at the start of the game. Coverages break down when the quarterback has that much time.

Reaction Score
I have patience but the offensive game planning for Syracuse was, well, offensive.
Certainly suggests the vaunted qb battle in preseason was overhyped. Hard to open playbook with a true frosh who’s exhibiting he’s not yet ready looking for wideouts that cant get wide open.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Syracuse game was terrible, but this team would win against last years team 10 times out of 10. The oline is opening holes and giving decent time for Turner. The RB backs are picking up huge yardage. The defense is looking better, despite the secondary last week. Yes the team still has a lot of room for improvement, but you have to be blind not see how much Mora has done in less than a year.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If we’re headed for an eternity of 1 and 2 win seasons, does the football program survive? Northwestern and Kansas State had horrible football teams for generations and they survived, but they were in solid conferences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
New coach smell evaporates quickly. Time is short before you're just a lousy program again and struggle to recruit.

That's why 3-4 wins is a must. We are playing teams at our level later this season. Having a good coacb is supposed to win games like that especially if you have 6 games to develop players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn football is what is left after a dumpster fire has burned itself out. It has a long way to go.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not that it will help much, but NM St is getting walloped by Wisconsin 35-0 at halftime, and UW isn't ranked (39th-ish).

How do we not have NM St on our schedule again?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Asking for more patience after 12 years without a winning season is asking for way more than you realize. We’re just conditioned to accept mediocrity into eternity at this point. I’d rather be upset than content.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is something about the conditioning of the players or decisions made that have led to an unheard amount of injuries to the 1st stringers this early in the season. It was unreal that we had to go in lIke we did today.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is something about the conditioning of the players or decisions made that have led to an unheard amount of injuries to the 1st stringers this early in the season. It was unreal that we had to go in lIke we did today.
I don't think it's conditioning. I think your odds of injuries increase when lightly recruited players go up against bigger and stronger 3 and 4 star recruits.

Reaction Score
Asking for more patience after 12 years without a winning season is asking for way more than you realize. We’re just conditioned to accept mediocrity into eternity at this point. I’d rather be upset than content.
Fans would give anything to accept mediocrity instead of the horrifically awful product they watch week in and week out.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's conditioning. I think your odds of injuries increase when lightly recruited players go up against bigger and stronger 3 and 4 star recruits.
If they can't even be on the field without getting injured against Utah State then it's time to fold up the program.

Reaction Score

It’s better than expecting a program to fix itself inside of one season.

We wouldn’t have give .500 in the NEC last season.

Being realistic will set you free.

Reaction Score
Except that 2 receivers got hurt in practice. The quarterback was injured against Utah State. That is an interesting theory though.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’s better than expecting a program to fix itself inside of one season.

We wouldn’t have give .500 in the NEC last season.

Being realistic will set you free.
Oh I am realistic. I said the season was over when Roberson and Marion got injured, and people acted like I insulted their mothers. It’s just at some point we’ve been sold the patience monologue from 4 coaching eras since RE1.0, let’s hope our patience will be rewarded soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom