OT: - Have Computers Replaced Dogs? | The Boneyard

OT: Have Computers Replaced Dogs?

Reaction Score
My brain wasn't doing what it was told to do again this morning and instead of thinking about what I wanted it to think about, it came up with this

Has the computer replaced the dog as man's best friend? Is there anything you rely on as much as your computer? That's a question in an individual level. What about collectively? I'm told computers already diagnose illness at a much higher level than humans. And it's only going to get...what's the correct adjective/adverb, "better" or "worse"

Or are things a bit foggy at your domicile this morning too?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My brain wasn't doing what it was told to do again this morning and instead of thinking about what I wanted it to think about, it came up with this

Has the computer replaced the dog as man's best friend? Is there anything you rely on as much as your computer? That's a question in an individual level. What about collectively? I'm told computers already diagnose illness at a much higher level than humans. And it's only going to get...what's the correct adjective/adverb, "better" or "worse"

If computer includes Internet, yes.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1611072011924.png

No.

Reaction Score
I think even cats have passed dogs in that respect. They are now the most popular pet in the USA. Now cats, unlike dogs, will fight a computor for your attention. Anyone who as attempted to post with a cat around will attest to that. They will think nothing about just sitting on the keyboard while you try to type.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

In many ways the computer/internet is replacing the dog in that it keeps one company, and it does not eat as much, or bark, or need a walk. But the best thing about a dog is that it gives you what you give it. Not so the computer. BTW, both dogs and the internet can fill your house with crap if left unattended!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
computers do not greatly improve the immune system, as dogs will for a child so exposed.
computers can't scare/eat intruders. or nosy neighbors. or unwanted/pop in family guests.
computers can't smell anything, least of all cancer, like dogs can.
computers need a constant power source. dogs don't.
computers are never babe magnets. dogs are.
computers can't instantly improve the mental and physical well being of seniors. dogs do.
computers will never bring a dead animal to you as a token of their affection. dogs do.
dogs do. dogs doo. dogs doo. dogs doo. well, nobody is perfect.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think even cats have passed dogs in that respect. They are now the most popular pet in the USA. Now cats, unlike dogs, will fight a computor for your attention. Anyone who as attempted to post with a cat around will attest to that. They will think nothing about just sitting on the keyboard while you try to type.
I’m pretty sure that’s the cat saying, I don’t know what this is, but you seem to like it, therefore I am claiming it.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Hmm. We have 7 dogs (2 are livestock guard dogs), 3 outdoor cats and a computer in every living space.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our last dog passed over 15 years ago. Conscious decision not to have another pet.

Since retirement, using less computer, not more. Definitely doing a whole lot less social media!!

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Mark Twain, “most of my favorite people are dogs” not computers. Admittedly my dog can’t give me a replay of the latest Husky victory.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Computers are tools, dogs are friends.

The last time my computer died I was upset, had to buy another one. I don't miss the one that died.

My last dog that died I cried and cried, and was sad for weeks. I now have another dog, a rescue, but I still miss my last dog and tear up when thinking about him.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Seeing eye cats , drug sniffing cats, bomb sniffing cats, seizure detecting cats, missing persons cats. I don't think so.

Maybe if the missing person has a fuzzy blanket or is allergic to cats.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm a big computer lover and for years I've built my own. So said, that would be a no.

Aside from the fact that a computer will never give you unambiguous, non-judgemental love. Aside from the fact that a computer will never creep into bed with you and keep you warm. Aside from the fact that a computer will never make you more attractive to someone you're interested in. Aside from the fact that a computer will never lick your face. Aside from the fact that just looking at him and how your dog reacts around others makes you happy and proud. Aside from the fact that just being with your dog brings you peace. No, the hard truth is when your dog, your best buddy dies your will never be able to replace him/her with a newer, better model.

1611090873412.png

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Mark Twain, “most of my favorite people are dogs” not computers. Admittedly my dog can’t give me a replay of the latest Husky victory.
To quote Groucho Marx, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Perhaps the computer/internet has only replaced the book.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Seeing eye cats , drug sniffing cats, bomb sniffing cats, seizure detecting cats, missing persons cats. I don't think so.
I think that cats could probably do those things, but they just would not bother to tell you what they know!

Reaction Score
... but they are working on it.

View attachment 63752

Just watched a Netflix sci-fi movie last night and this little guy may have been in the movie...or close cousin. The movie was called Outside the Wire.

(In the near future, a drone pilot sent into a war zone finds himself paired with a top-secret android officer on a mission to stop a nuclear attack.)

Reaction Score
As far as dogs and computers are concerned....I personally prefer cats, my last one passed about 3-4 years ago. Considering the kind of year we have had and still having, all I can say thank goodness for computers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom