Has UConn Athletic Department Issued a Statement on What They Are Doing as far as Realignment Activity? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has UConn Athletic Department Issued a Statement on What They Are Doing as far as Realignment Activity?

Reaction Score
We should hold them accountable once the results are in, not by critiquing their approach. I trust AD Dave based on the results he has delivered.
UConn FB record 2021, 1-11. Ranking 130 out of 130 teams. College Football Rankings 2022 - CBS Sports Ranking Also, UConn did not progress very far in the NCAAs men's basketball last time. Just how is this much of an improvement by AD Dave over AAC. If we stayed and took it seriously we could be headed for the B12. I have great deal of confidence in our new football coach but it was Spanos who got him here.

Reaction Score
UConn FB record 2021, 1-11. Ranking 130 out of 130 teams. College Football Rankings 2022 - CBS Sports Ranking Also, UConn did not progress very far in the NCAAs men's basketball last time. Just how is this much of an improvement by AD Dave over AAC. If we stayed and took it seriously we could be headed for the B12. I have great deal of confidence in our new football coach but it was Spanos who got him here.
I think Dave has done a solid job though he’s had his missteps for sure. He seems to have stabilized the basketball program though I’m skeptical that the NEWBIE move will be much more than a rearrangement of deck chairs. Mora appears to have the chops to make football reasonable again. But I agree with you that while Cincinatti and Houston even Temple and others were taking the challenge seriously of developing good football, we did not. The result is we are hyping a sport that is pretty close to irrelevant in realignment. We might as well hype our field hockey program. They are a real power, but we aren’t getting invited to the SEC based on it, or on basketball. Zero of these media deals are based on basketball. Zero. I know that is a tough swallow for Nelson and his peeps, but it is what it is.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UConn Athletic Department needs to be on top of realignment activity before decisions are made. Should be in close contact with members and officials at PAC 12, B12, B10, ACC and SEC. The last time we messed up big time and let Louisville take our spot in the ACC. We should hold UConn and state officials completely accountable. This is our chance. Just waiting till the end may not be our best position. We want to be seen as being desired by more than one conference. Even if the end goal is the remains of the ACC.
Did you ever file that lawsuit when you were sad we joined Big East?

Reaction Score
We had an Athletic Department before Dave that IMHO didn't care about FB, they thought the athletic department would be fine with winning BB teams. DB decided to upgrade FB because he knew that is where it is at. Basketball, baseball, hockey winning is great, but FB drives the bus. Your bus driver for the next few years will be Jim Mora, enjoy the ride.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We had an Athletic Department before Dave that IMHO didn't care about FB, they thought the athletic department would be fine with winning BB teams. DB decided to upgrade FB because he knew that is where it is at. Basketball, baseball, hockey winning is great, but FB drives the bus. Your bus driver for the next few years will be Jim Mora, enjoy the ride.
I’m pretty sure Ward Manual, given that he played football at Michigan, probably values the sport to some extent.

Reaction Score
Fingers crossed

Reaction Score
Nothing new or earth-shattering:

Alternate access link here <<

This just makes too much sense.

"Maybe the money that comes in from the Big Ten or SEC eases such concerns, or maybe at some future date, football breaks away and forms its own conferences.

“The better question for everyone in college athletics,” Benedict said, “is why do we continue to allow football to determine how every other sport competes within a conference and/or geographics. It doesn’t make sense to me that there is not a viable way to separate them. Because football is unique, different in the way it travels than all the other sports.”"

Reaction Score
One thing to consider - In the B1G, for example, all schools own a share of the BTN. BTN airs the Olympic sports of all of its members. It wouldn’t make sense for B1G schools not to have their Olympic sports in the B1G.

Lower level conferences, it might make sense.

Reaction Score
B1G 10 has large following for Wrestling, Volleyball and Swimming that drive fan interest

Reaction Score
This just makes too much sense.

"Maybe the money that comes in from the Big Ten or SEC eases such concerns, or maybe at some future date, football breaks away and forms its own conferences.

“The better question for everyone in college athletics,” Benedict said, “is why do we continue to allow football to determine how every other sport competes within a conference and/or geographics. It doesn’t make sense to me that there is not a viable way to separate them. Because football is unique, different in the way it travels than all the other sports.”"

This would be great for UConn. Form a national football league outside the current conference stucture, and then let the conferences resize into geographically sensible structures for hoops and non-revenue sports.

But it won’t happen, because that means conference offices will preside over less revenue and thus pay less salaries to conference leaders and employees. Guess which consistency will keep that from happening.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This would be great for UConn. Form a national football league outside the current conference stucture, and then let the conferences resize into geographically sensible structures for hoops and non-revenue sports.

But it won’t happen, because that means conference offices will preside over less revenue and thus pay less salaries to conference leaders and employees. Guess which consistency will keep that from happening.
You might be amazed how university presidents work on the smaller conference (Olympic sport) piece. This is not a new idea, I first heard about this 6 or 7 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom