Has Tina Charles emerged as main challenger to Fowles for MVP? | The Boneyard

Has Tina Charles emerged as main challenger to Fowles for MVP?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pretty much. She's on a team that is surging, up near the top, and her stats are eerily similar to Fowles. Still I think Fowles wins, and good for her - great season, but no one should overlook Tina!;)

IMHO, Stewie comes next. Similar numbers, but on a team with less firepower and a terrible bench, Stewie is the main reason her team is even close to making the playoff. Then I'd put Nneka 4th. Just my $.02

Reaction Score
.....and Stewie has remarkably little help in the middle. She accomplishes an awful lot with such a minimum of help. A+ for effort.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My view is that Tina has been #2 much of the season. Nneka is having a good year, but not at last year's level. Candace is having a good year, but I'd put Stewie ahead of her.

Reaction Score
Pretty much. She's on a team that is surging, up near the top, and her stats are eerily similar to Fowles. Still I think Fowles wins, and good for her - great season, but no one should overlook Tina!;)

IMHO, Stewie comes next. Similar numbers, but on a team with less firepower and a terrible bench, Stewie is the main reason her team is even close to making the playoff. Then I'd put Nneka 4th. Just my $.02

I like your analysis. Can I borrow $.02?? :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
From an advanced stats point of view, it's Fowles in a runaway. Obviously, Charles doesn't have the luxury of picking her spots. She has to carry the load for that Liberty team so she's not going to have the great efficiency numbers.

Fowles leads the league in offensive rating, defensive rating, offensive win shares, defensive win shares, total win shares, PER, and true shooting percentage, according to Basketball Reference.

BK Ref credits Fowles with 11 more made 2-pt FGs than Charles on 125 fewer attempts.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Won't be a popular opinion, but Parker is the clear cut 2nd candidate IMO if it doesn't go to Fowles. She has been incredibly consistent and has shown a fantastic all around game. Sparks are having another outstanding year and Parker is the player making the big plays down the stretch and stepping up in big games for this squad.

It's Fowles' award to lose, followed by Parker, Charles and Jones. Seattle should make the playoffs but Stewart isn't an MVP candidate this year despite being one of the best young players in the league. I still think Minny rebounds and takes home the crown but it's definitely shaping up for an exciting playoff run. You have Phoenix who is very capable of winning with Taurasi and Griner, Seattle and Washington who have a boatload of talent and are capable of beating the best teams, Dallas who has good talent, New York who is hitting its stride, Connecticut who has been overachievers, LA who is making a big push for 1st and the Lynx who appeared to be the heavy title favorites and they are faltering late.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
After last night, Candace made a serious move into the MVP conversation, especially with the Sparks taking 2 out of 3 head to heads. Parker is also top 10 in 7 categories, which is a history making season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Candace is playing more consistently this season, and the win over Minny boosted her case, but she's on a team that is just loaded with talent. I'm not sure she should be ranked above Nneka. The Liberty would be nowhere without Tina. I have Tina Charles a #2 on my list.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
TC has won four out of the last six Eastern Conference POW Awards and six overall this season, more than anyone in either conference. Take her off the Libs and take at least half of the wins off the board. Take CP of the Sparks, you still have N.O. That team would still be ok. What is happening now in Minny shows their MVP is Lindsay Whalen. My vote goes to Charles.

That all being said, voting is funny and does not always adhere to logic. No way Lloyd was ROY over Stokes two years ago. Kiah helped lead the Libs to the playoffs, Jewell helped lead her team to the first pick in the following year's draft.

So who knows. My guess is TC won't get it. They left her off that 20 of 20 list, and I doubt she will get the MVP this year. I hope so though.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
TC has won four out of the last six Eastern Conference POW Awards and six overall this season, more than anyone in either conference. Take her off the Libs and take at least half of the wins off the board. Take CP of the Sparks, you still have N.O. That team would still be ok. What is happening now in Minny shows their MVP is Lindsay Whalen. My vote goes to Charles.

That all being said, voting is funny and does not always adhere to logic. No way Lloyd was ROY over Stokes two years ago. Kiah helped lead the Libs to the playoffs, Jewell helped lead her team to the first pick in the following year's draft.

So who knows. My guess is TC won't get it. They left her off that 20 of 20 list, and I doubt she will get the MVP this year. I hope so though.

2 years ago LA went 3-15 without Parker and 11-5 with her. I do think LA would be a decent team without Parker since Nneka and Gray have been spectacular, but Parker is worth her weight in gold for LA.

This year you can argue Tina is more important to her team than Candace or Fowles is to theirs, but the MVP award is usually given to the player who had the best individual season on a successful team.

If the award was based on who is the most valuable to their respective team, Tamika Catchings would've won 5+ MVP awards in her day since she carried her squad for over a decade without much help.

Charles has had a terrific season, but IMO she's a step behind Parker and 2 steps behind Fowles.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Agree with you and Mil. Parker is 4th on my list behind Fowles, Charles, and Nneka. Parker had a great game recently against Minny. Fowles, Tina and Nneka have been consistent all season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agree with you and Mil. Parker is 4th on my list behind Fowles, Charles, and Nneka. Parker had a great game recently against Minny. Fowles, Tina and Nneka have been consistent all season.
Parker has been very consistent all year besides the one bad Minnesota game in the first half in the season. She's hit double figures in all but 2 games and regularly fills up the rebounds/assists/steals/blocks side of the stat sheet as well. The only other bad game she's had was the third game of the year against Atlanta.

Fowles and Nneka have really just had one bad game each, Parker has had 2, and Charles 3. All have been very consistent performers this year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
At this point I could see either Fowles or Charles winning POY. Both are in the top 5 in scoring and rebound, but Fowles averages more blocks than Charles, so that could be the deciding factor, plus team record. .

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Candace is playing more consistently this season, and the win over Minny boosted her case, but she's on a team that is just loaded with talent. I'm not sure she should be ranked above Nneka. The Liberty would be nowhere without Tina. I have Tina Charles a #2 on my list.

Candace is leading the league in Player of the Week honors. She's not 2nd to Nneka or anyone else in the league (but I love Nneka too). While she is surrounded in talent, she is maximizing her ability. Points are down, but still top 10, and assists are up. No player in the league has been top 10 in 5 major categories in the W other than Catchings.

Per Agler about Candace in reference to Orange shoes.
"There is not a better player no matter what color shoe she has on.....and she's rt handed w a dangerous lt"

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Parker has been very consistent all year besides the one bad Minnesota game in the first half in the season. She's hit double figures in all but 2 games and regularly fills up the rebounds/assists/steals/blocks side of the stat sheet as well. The only other bad game she's had was the third game of the year against Atlanta.

Fowles and Nneka have really just had one bad game each, Parker has had 2, and Charles 3. All have been very consistent performers this year.

And Candace has more Player of the Weeks than all other mentioned. The one bad game against Minn was by design. Agler is a very smart coach and in that game, it was obvious they were more interested, as a team, in establishing the new players. Candace was a decoy. Worked to perfection, as Agler learned more about his team, and used that education for the 2 wins against Minnesota. You can not be a league leader in 5 major categories and not be consistent.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And Candace has more Player of the Weeks than all other mentioned. The one bad game against Minn was by design. Agler is a very smart coach and in that game, it was obvious they were more interested, as a team, in establishing the new players. Candace was a decoy. Worked to perfection, as Agler learned more about his team, and used that education for the 2 wins against Minnesota. You can not be a league leader in 5 major categories and not be consistent.

LOL What is it with LadyVol fans and facts.

This is directly from the WNBA press release:

Charles was selected Player of the Week for the 27th time in eight seasons, extending her WNBA record. This is her sixth Eastern Conference Player of the Week honor this season.

Parker was named Western Conference Player of the Week for fourth time this season. She raised her career total to 22 Player of the Week awards in 10 seasons.

Parker was a decoy? I thought the report after the game was she was sick. It's always something with her.

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
LOL What is it with LadyVol fans and facts.

This is directly from the WNBA press release:

Charles was selected Player of the Week for the 27th time in eight seasons, extending her WNBA record. This is her sixth Eastern Conference Player of the Week honor this season.

Parker was named Western Conference Player of the Week for fourth time this season. She raised her career total to 22 Player of the Week awards in 10 seasons.

Parker was a decoy? I thought the report after the game was she was sick. It's always something with her.

I stand corrected. I was looking at the Western Conference, where Candace leads. With that said, I think we all know it's alot more difficult to win for the West. Out of the top 10 scorers in the league, only 2 are in the East and they look to have only 3 playoff teams. The W needs to eliminate the East / West alignment. This is also impacting the records of all teams, helping the eastern conference teams and hurting the western conference teams due to strength of schedule.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Decoy theory might be a stretch, but Candace has put together two fantastic games against Minny after a poor initial showing. The 'lack of consistency' theory just doesn't pertain to her at all this year even if it may have during stretches last season.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Decoy theory might be a stretch, but Candace has put together two fantastic games against Minny after a poor initial showing. The 'lack of consistency' theory just doesn't pertain to her at all this year even if it may have during stretches last season.

You could easily tell that they were using that game to learn. I laughed at the notion that Brunson could stop Candace. She only took 6 shots and 2 of those were 3 point attempts. There was no action being run to get her involved in the offense. Agler is a much better offensive coach than that. In the pro game, the regular season is simply to prepare for when it counts and also to jockey for a good play off position.

arch

Reaction Score

I have no idea of the history of the WNBA's MVP or what goes into the decision, however if it is anything like MLB's I would put forward Jonqel Jones as a leading candidate. Who has contributed more to the success of her team than Jonquel Jones? The Sun has shocked all the analysts and they have done it without, arguably, their "best" player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom