Has NIL potentially made the scholarship limit meaningless? | The Boneyard

Has NIL potentially made the scholarship limit meaningless?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's a quote from an article on St. John's:

As for Pitino's own team, there is potential. The Red Storm have undergone a facelift even Cher would envy, jettisoning all but two players from last year's roster (and only one, double-double machine Joel Soriano, who scored more than eight points the entire season), and replaced them with so many players, the team is one over the scholarship limit of 13. Barring any late defections, the Red Storm will handle that by having one player pay his own way. Name, image and likeness money should help alleviate that cost.

If you can just have a private individual pay a kid's tuition and room and board, have scholarship limits stopped being meaningful?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

As for Pitino's own team, there is potential. The Red Storm have undergone a facelift even Cher would envy, jettisoning all but two players from last year's roster (and only one, double-double machine Joel Soriano, who scored more than eight points the entire season), and replaced them with so many players, the team is one over the scholarship limit of 13. Barring any late defections, the Red Storm will handle that by having one player pay his own way. Name, image and likeness money should help alleviate that cost.

If you can just have a private individual pay a kid's tuition and room and board, have scholarship limits stopped being meaningful?

I mean in theory with that ability the answer to the the thread title is "maybe"? But I think it doesn't matter anyway. Kids want to play basketball. Barely anyone goes 10 deep with significant playing time. Even 9 deep is a challenge and that 9th player is probably complaining about his minutes and may think about hitting the portal. So for me at least, it's like "who cares if someone pays for a 13th non scholarship player" seems like a waste of money to me. And certainly there are scenarios that for whatever reason (eg: a late addition) that paid for player actually may be a top contributor, but then all you've done is wasted a scholarship on someone stuffed at the end of the bench because of it. There are still roster limits, and again, kids want to see the floor so I feel this shakes itself out on it's own volition.

Reaction Score
Fanta said on spaces this week that St. Johns wasn't done in the portal yet and then this happens...We're about to find out real soon how they handle this

Reaction Score

Yes but UConn found a way with Drummond way before the NIL era.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes but UConn found a way with Drummond way before the NIL era.
Fair point. It just seems like "finding a way" is going by the wayside in favor of finding a guy with a bag of cash. Yeah, yeah I know there were under the table cash payments before, but Pitino coming right out and mentioning that he's got a guy willing to pay for his bench players to a reporter seems like it's a new era.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal will make it not a problem. UConn is already having trouble playing guys 9 through 13 in the roster... are you really going to have 14 plus guys and have five of them stay on the bench all game?

It already seems like we weren't even going to use our last scholarship spot, let alone take extras.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The transfer portal will make it not a problem. UConn is already having trouble playing guys 9 through 13 in the roster... are you really going to have 14 plus guys and have five of them stay on the bench all game?

It already seems like we weren't even going to use our last scholarship spot, let alone take extras.
I can see Pitino and Holloway using it to their advantage by constantly putting out new players and having them play full tilt in their restricted playing time. Pitino in particular will have his players play tight defense and not worry about foul trouble for his players. He did this against us the Kemba championship year.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Math nerd copies my post.

Reaction Score

Excellent point and question!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I mean in theory with that ability the answer to the the thread title is "maybe"? But I think it doesn't matter anyway. Kids want to play basketball. Barely anyone goes 10 deep with significant playing time. Even 9 deep is a challenge and that 9th player is probably complaining about his minutes and may think about hitting the portal. So for me at least, it's like "who cares if someone pays for a 13th non scholarship player" seems like a waste of money to me. And certainly there are scenarios that for whatever reason (eg: a late addition) that paid for player actually may be a top contributor, but then all you've done is wasted a scholarship on someone stuffed at the end of the bench because of it. There are still roster limits, and again, kids want to see the floor so I feel this shakes itself out on it's own volition.
Right, most top recruits aren’t going to a team as a NIL walk on to be the 14th or 15th man. So if that happens then it pushes other kids down the depth chart after agreeing to play under a certain set of assumptions. So even if teams are doing it, it’s hard to not imagine it causing rifts.

I think what Hurley did last year with preferred walk ons was a great way to have quality practice bodies, help the program and help fringe D1 kids develop to transfer in the future.

St. John’s could have 20 dudes on their bench, but there are only 200 minutes per game to go around…

Reaction Score
St. John’s could have 20 dudes on their bench, but there are only 200 minutes per game to go around
Bring back middle school basketball rules, 20 man team and 5 minutes per half for each 5 man squad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom