OT: - Has anyone ever tried mono vision contacts or surgery? | The Boneyard

OT: Has anyone ever tried mono vision contacts or surgery?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just trying out a pair of contacts now. It's better than I though it would be but I'm still undecided.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had premature cataract surgery in each eye some years ago and doc talked me into doing mono vision with one eye fixed for distance and the other for reading/midrange. Very glad he did. Takes a few days to get used to the difference in perception but ultimately the brain does an amazing job of fusing the available data to create the best image between the two of them. For golf and skiing I use a distance contact in one eye, which eliminates my reading ability without reading glasses but is worth it for a day of increased acuity when I need it.

Only problem is once a year or so I get too drunk and tired and try to watch TV and the eyes don't want to work together. Then I cover one eye until I fall asleep.

Reaction Score
LASIK in 2014. Best decision ever. Glass from 6-12 then contacts until 27

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
LASIK in 2014. Best decision ever. Glass from 6-12 then contacts until 27
Lasik in 2004. It's great and I would recommend as I am sure it has progressed a lot and dropped in price.
I heard there's a difference between lasik and lasek. Is that a thing and where would I look into costs and the service?

Reaction Score
I heard there's a difference between lasik and lasek. Is that a thing and where would I look into costs and the service?

Best bet is doing research and talking to a professional. I went to Fichman Eye Center to Dr. Fichman - He is an actual doctor that has invented procedures used in millions of operations and I think he was the first person in CT to do Lasik. I am sure you can get free consultations - which are great because there is a lot of science that goes into how they judge your eyes, vision, outcomes, etc.

I was scared to death - they tossed me an extra valium.

Back then it was $4,000 and Clockwork Orange style. You don't skimp on your eyes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best bet is doing research and talking to a professional. I went to Fichman Eye Center to Dr. Fichman - He is an actual doctor that has invented procedures used in millions of operations and I think he was the first person in CT to do Lasik. I am sure you can get free consultations - which are great because there is a lot of science that goes into how they judge your eyes, vision, outcomes, etc.

Back then it was $4,000 and Clockwork Orange style. You don't skimp on your eyes.
He does TV ads.

Reaction Score
I had premature cataract surgery in each eye some years ago and doc talked me into doing mono vision with one eye fixed for distance and the other for reading/midrange. Very glad he did. Takes a few days to get used to the difference in perception but ultimately the brain does an amazing job of fusing the available data to create the best image between the two of them. For golf and skiing I use a distance contact in one eye, which eliminates my reading ability without reading glasses but is worth it for a day of increased acuity when I need it.

Only problem is once a year or so I get too drunk and tired and try to watch TV and the eyes don't want to work together. Then I cover one eye until I fall asleep.

I feel like the solution to your problem would be to buy a patch + you get Pirate street cred. Or ArchAngel from Airwolf.

Edit: I haven't lived in CT since 2007 - so haven't seen ads and don't miss "Come on Down!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
PRK surgery in 2003. Military hadn't approved Lasik.

Great decision. 14 years later and in my mid 40's I still have 20/15 vision.

Reaction Score
Lasik circa 2004. Best decision I ever made for myself, health/body wise. They had just come out with "wave front" or some thing that adjusted for astigmatism and any other minor variations in your visual field. Before that, the laser would just blast a uniform thickness. After that, it adjusts the ablation to give you more even vision. No expert here, but I researched it at the time.
14 years later, distance vision is still perfect, and no issues. Quick, painless, great results. Amazing time to be alive.

Quick side story - when they are doing the blasting, the nurse was counting down, and the doctor would cut the laser off at 0. Bit unnerving really, because, as she's counting down . . . FOUR . . . THREE . . . TWO . . . ONE I had the distinct urge to yell "NOW DOC, NOW!" and had horrible images of the doc missing the zero count and the thing bores into my head.

CL82

Reaction Score

I'm thinking about going with contacts until I need cataract surgery.

How is it at work? I think reading would be tiring after a while?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I tried it with contacts. My optometrist gave me samples to try mono vision. It didn't work for me. Ask for samples. Everyone is different. See if you can check it out before the decision.

Now I'm in the middle of cataract surgery (one eye done). I chose distance vision and reading glasses again.
Good luck.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've had one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted my entire life. It's no gift. Why would anyone want to do this on purpose? Or am I reading this thread wrong?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm thinking about going with contacts until I need cataract surgery.

How is it at work? I think reading would be tiring after a while?
I wore contacts daily for a while beforehand many years ago and I did find it a bit tiring overall--or maybe I'm just too lazy and/or don't care enough about my appearance anymore to bother with them except as mentioned above. My eyes tend to feel dry with contacts and that makes me feel tired.

I have since had other issues unique to me that led to a detached retina in each eye, requiring much more extensive surgery, and resulting in the need for yet a different prescription now in each eye. I'm like 20/40 combined without correction, but I usually wear glasses because I like to see better, and I like to have the eyes working in stereo when I can. I have a few pairs of progressive lenses that essentially have three prescription zones for each eye, and a few pairs of readers only that have a different fixed lens in each eye. I imagine the latter would be beneficial to you to reduce strain while reading if you go the route you suggest.

I tried it with contacts. My optometrist gave me samples to try mono vision. It didn't work for me. Ask for samples. Everyone is different. See if you can check it out before the decision.

Now I'm in the middle of cataract surgery (one eye done). I chose distance vision and reading glasses again.
Good luck.

Good choice, and good luck to you. I still look back fondly on the year between my second cataract surgery and my first detached retina, when my vision was the best it had ever been in my life.

I've had one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted my entire life. It's no gift. Why would anyone want to do this on purpose? Or am I reading this thread wrong?

You are reading the thread wrong.

CL82

Reaction Score
I wore contacts daily for a while beforehand many years ago and I did find it a bit tiring overall--or maybe I'm just too lazy and/or don't care enough about my appearance anymore to bother with them except as mentioned above. My eyes tend to feel dry with contacts and that makes me feel tired.

I have since had other issues unique to me that led to a detached retina in each eye, requiring much more extensive surgery, and resulting in the need for yet a different prescription now in each eye. I'm like 20/40 combined without correction, but I usually wear glasses because I like to see better, and I like to have the eyes working in stereo when I can. I have a few pairs of progressive lenses that essentially have three prescription zones for each eye, and a few pairs of readers only that have a different fixed lens in each eye. I imagine the latter would be beneficial to you to reduce strain while reading if you go the route you suggest.

Good choice, and good luck to you. I still look back fondly on the year between my second cataract surgery and my first detached retina, when my vision was the best it had ever been in my life.

You are reading the thread wrong.
I'm day two with mono vision contacts. It is way, way better than I thought but not quite good enough for work as it very tough reading fine print. Overall, I'm happy with them, but I think it will be a weekend thing with me.

You make a great point though, using glasses to get the eyes working in stereo for work, might be a good compromise.

Lol, at 20/40 uncorrected. I'd kill for that. Someone asked me if I could drive without my glasses. I said sure, I'd keep my car on the black blur and try to avoid the green blur!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm day two with mono vision contacts. It is way, way better than I thought but not quite good enough for work as it very tough reading fine print. Overall, I'm happy with them, but I think it will be a weekend thing with me.

You make a great point though, using glasses to get the eyes working in stereo for work, might be a good compromise.

Lol, at 20/40 uncorrected. I'd kill for that. Someone asked me if I could drive without my glasses. I said sure, I'd keep my car on the black blur and try to avoid the green blur!
The 20/40 is a bit deceptive because each eye individually is worse, but the deficiencies are different so I can cobble together a decent image when pressed, like when I am guessing on an eye chart, but it is fleeting and far from preferable. Knowing it can be improved so much with my glasses makes me want to wear them more and be less accepting of the cobbling together and guessing deal.

No one would kill for my eyes. But I thank God that I live in a time when the medical advancements have allowed them to be managed and somewhat stable now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No one would kill for my eyes. But I thank God that I live in a time when the medical advancements have allowed them to be managed and somewhat stable now.

Me too!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lasik does have documented cases of failure, consider them before deciding.

Reaction Score
Have you considered bifocal contacts? I've been using them for about 2 years....I can drive and read with no problems.

CL82

Reaction Score
Have you considered bifocal contacts? I've been using them for about 2 years....I can drive and read with no problems.
Yep. I have astigmatism and dry eyes so the lens often does line up right resulting in double vision.

FWIW, I tried the mono vision contacts this weekend and enjoyed not wearing glasses. 8893 is right, in short order your mind does adapt. Vision wasn't quite good enough for work but was fine for the weekend.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I had my semi-annual eye doctor visit today and noticed while waiting in the examining room that they now make lenses for cataract surgery that are progressive; i.e., when your anatomical lens is replaced during cataract surgery, it can now be replaced with a permanent progressive lens, which would appear to eliminate the need for glasses or contacts for the rest of your life, or at least for several years if your prescription changes enough to warrant it.

There was a big poster on the wall advertising it, so if cataract surgery is on the horizon you should inquire about that option.

Reaction Score

Went to Fichman as well and had a good experience. Free consultation. Want to get it before you sign for you HSA (if you plan on using it) so you can put away some tax free dollars for it. Used to be able use 4K for it but its down to 1500 which is something.

I had a dry eyes for about 12 months that would only really affect me when I was negligent with my eye drops. Night vision sucked for a few months.

This reminds me. I have been derelict in going to my annual eye visits these past few years. Should still go and get things checked out.

Reaction Score
I forgot about the eye drops. I never had issues, but due to my fears I obsessively used those real tears or whatever they were for way too long.

For years after every once in a while I would have a weird dream that I wore glasses or something similar.

CL82

Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I had my semi-annual eye doctor visit today and noticed while waiting in the examining room that they now make lenses for cataract surgery that are progressive; i.e., when your anatomical lens is replaced during cataract surgery, it can now be replaced with a permanent progressive lens, which would appear to eliminate the need for glasses or contacts for the rest of your life, or at least for several years if your prescription changes enough to warrant it.

There was a big poster on the wall advertising it, so if cataract surgery is on the horizon you should inquire about that option.
So far, I'm good, but eventually I'll have to do it.

CL82

Reaction Score
I forgot about the eye drops. I never had issues, but due to my fears I obsessively used those real tears or whatever they were for way too long.

For years after every once in a while I would have a weird dream that I wore glasses or something similar.
I can't tell how many times I reached up to take off my glasses this weekend, only to realize I wasn't wearing them.

Interestingly, everything was like 10-15% larger without glasses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom