Harvey is Back | The Boneyard

Harvey is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
to writing about the Huskies. At least this once. Harvey Araton, that is. He's one of my favorite sports columnists who rarely writes columns for the NY Times anymore. He used to write frequently about the Huskies back in the late 90s-through DT's years.

He wrote about today's win against Louisville. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/s...ms-to-be-not-running-out-of-players.html?_r=0

This, on Stewie:

Stewart, a 6-foot-4 sophomore, may already be the best player in the country and may eventually go down as the best player Auriemma has had in his storied run in Storrs. Walz described her as more difficult to handle than Maya Moore, the last great Connecticut player, who graduated in 2011, because “she’s 6-4 and can play inside-out.”

With her height, long arms and deep shooting range, Stewart can punish the defense from anyplace on the offensive end. After mainly being a perimeter player last season, she has learned to move without the ball and play in the post, allowing the 6-5 Dolson to make better use of her passing skills from out high.

But like Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Durant, Stewart is most lethal from behind the 3-point line.

“If you’re guarding her two feet away with your hands down, she’ll just turn and shoot it,” Walz said, lamenting consecutive 3-point looks the Cardinals allowed Stewart late in the first half that helped Connecticut turn a 5-point game into an 11-point halftime lead.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
thanks for posting - NYT when they do send a writer always do a nice job of covering Uconn.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I believe Harvey "officially" retired and occasionally does the pieces he wants to do....

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Any of you "old-timers' remember who the first UConn women player to be feature profiled in the Sunday New York Times was? I believe it was the first Times piece ever for the UConn women's program.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“We’ve got to put bubbles around our guys; we can’t afford to let anyone else get hurt,” Auriemma said. “I don’t know that anybody’s going to hold a telethon for us, but this isn’t going to be easy the next two months.”

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Any of you "old-timers' remember who the first UConn women player to be feature profiled in the Sunday New York Times was? I believe it was the first Times piece ever for the UConn women's program.

I do not. Please share.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I do not. Please share.

Orly Grossman (now Orly Grossman-Cohen) in the fall of 1990. I brought a copy to the game that afternoon, Orly hadn't seen it so I gave it to her. This got me in trouble with my daughter who had wanted the article for her UConn scrapbook.

Orly had some key off-the-bench minutes in that 90-91 season that ended in the program's first Final 4. She was a good offensive player, but since her experience was mostly international the NCAA refs would often call her for taking the extra step.

Unfortunately, she didn't have a very good Tourney and wasn't a factor in the Final four loss to Virginia. She didn't return the next season, electing to play pro ball in her native Israel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom