Hartford named Worst State Capital in America | The Boneyard

Hartford named Worst State Capital in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'll echo Harrisburg and Trenton.. Maybe the worst in New England. I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with Conference Realignment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They have one of the best State Capital buildings.

Reaction Score
Whenever someone does a thing like this, there are always things to nitpick about how they weight stuff and whatnot. No one is going to argue that Hartford is a great city, but this is lazy nonsense, it's not an actual study or anything.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Someone in the comment section made a great point. Smaller (landwise) northeastern cities are penalized because the suburban areas are not inside the city limits like they are in the South and West. So much of the data is skewed since only inner city residents are taken into account when examining northeastern cities.

Reaction Score
Agree that Hartford has issues; but, the worst? Echo the opinion of Trenton. At least there is stuff to do in Hartford. Try Augusta ME, whose nickname for the capital is 'Disusta.' Juneau is pretty; but, one has to take a boat or fly to that capitol from any other part of the Alaska. Is there anything in Dover Delaware either besides an Base and a raceway and it does not have an interstate nor rail (Amtrak) access? Springfield IL's economy is just as bad, if not worse than Hartford's. Frankfurt KY is smaller that most CT suburbs and is in Kentucky. I could go on...

Reaction Score
As messed up as CT state government and the Insurance City's mis-management are, Hartford it not remotely close to the nation's worst state capitals. In addition to some of the cluster pharks cited above, I'll nominate Charleston, WV; Carson City, NV; Springfield, IL; Jackson, MS; Bismarck, ND; Jefferson City, MO; and Juneau, AK.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Someone in the comment section made a great point. Smaller (landwise) northeastern cities are penalized because the suburban areas are not inside the city limits like they are in the South and West. So much of the data is skewed since only inner city residents are taken into account when examining northeastern cities.

The northeastern states could follow the lead of many other states when it comes to major metro areas and vote for annexation to increase the size of the cities and improve many of the metrics. Good luck with that in the NIMBY Land of Steady Habits.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
As messed up as CT state government and the Insurance City's mis-management are, Hartford it not remotely close to the nation's worst state capitals. In addition to some of the cluster pharks cited above, I'll nominate Charleston, WV; Carson City, NV; Springfield, IL; Jackson, MS; Bismarck, ND; Jefferson City, MO; and Juneau, AK.

You can add Salem, OR. I worked there for two years and it has absolutely nothing going for it.

Reaction Score
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2016/02/23/hartford-worst-state-capitals/

Something I've echoed for awhile. Hartford needs to improve to help us, not the other way around. Not a good look.

Typical of a Boston rag to dump on Hartford. That been going on for years. That said, Hartford has some big issues, but I think we're better off now that we were during the "amateur hour" years in the Mayor's office. Segara, albeit well meaning, was absolutely inept. I believe the new mayor and his inner circle are having a positive impact and will help right the ship of the city. Now if we can just change some of the other elected positions at city hall, good change will move apace.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The northeastern states could follow the lead of many other states when it comes to major metro areas and vote for annexation to increase the size of the cities and improve many of the metrics. Good luck with that in the NIMBY Land of Steady Habits.

Not a chance. Hartford used to be much bigger but its outer edges broke off long ago. West Hartford, for instance, does NOT want to associate itself with Hartford, hence their breakup in the 1860s. It is doing far better on its own. Reconciliation is a non-starter.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is bad press like this has to raise some alarms. My family is originally from southern RI, and to have watched Providence's improvement over the last two decades, you have to think that Hartford, with LEADERS could create a masterplan and do the same. I do not think it starts with a brand new XL. It starts with a large study on neighborhoods, transit and companies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And why would any of the surrounding communities agree to that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boston is #41? Bismarck is #3? This list is awful.

Boston not being top 5 pretty much invalidates it. Austin and Raleigh seem like solid choices. But Concord NH is 20 spots higher than Providence? Fail. Topeka, which has nothing to offer really, is #20?

Reaction Score
Boston not being top 5 pretty much invalidates it. Austin and Raleigh seem like solid choices. But Concord NH is 20 spots higher than Providence? Fail. Topeka, which has nothing to offer really, is #20?

It's stuff like this that makes people not trust statistics.

Reaction Score

Boston is a great city; but, how the numbers are cut-up are telling. This about a 'family' living in a city.

Looking at the report, I think affordability kills Boston's ranking, which I can see since housing prices in Boston are approaching NYC prices (but still behind SF) plus public schools except for a few like Boston Latin are not good.

I've spend a lot of time in Concord NH. Its OK, couple of good resultants, a few things to do, public schools are decent and relatively low crime. While downtown Providence, Federal Hill and College Hill are great, neighborhoods to the north, such as around PC's campus, and to the south are not good and there are a few places I would not want to walk around at night. Thus, Concord ranks higher than Providence with respect to raising a family.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boston is a great city; but, how the numbers are cut-up are telling. This about a 'family' living in a city.

Looking at the report, I think affordability kills Boston's ranking, which I can see since housing prices in Boston are approaching NYC prices (but still behind SF) plus public schools except for a few like Boston Latin are not good.

I've spend a lot of time in Concord NH. Its OK, couple of good resultants, a few things to do, public schools are decent and relatively low crime. While downtown Providence, Federal Hill and College Hill are great, neighborhoods to the north, such as around PC's campus, and to the south are not good and there are a few places I would not want to walk around at night. Thus, Concord ranks higher than Providence with respect to raising a family.

Ok, I guess I get that. But if so this survey is really "which capital city is most like a suburb and least like a city?". Hell, I'd put Concord way up on that basis. And probably Hartford last. I sure as hell wouldn't raise a family in Providence, even around Brown.

But that isn't what a capital city is trying to be. I'd ask...what kind of Fortune 500 companies are there? Do they have a symphony? Do they get Broadway caliber plays? Do they have great restaurant, live music and entertainment options? Do they have museums? How is public transport?

What they did is like asking "What is the best sports car?" and then using interior passenger space and MPG as the top two metrics.

Reaction Score
Not a chance. Hartford used to be much bigger but its outer edges broke off long ago. West Hartford, for instance, does NOT want to associate itself with Hartford, hence their breakup in the 1860s. It is doing far better on its own. Reconciliation is a non-starter.
I know East Hartford won't go for annexation....At least the Dems in East Hartford are Moderates...

Reaction Score

At least Hartford's airport (Bradley) is better than Tallahassee's... (a few years ago, I think I insulted someone when I asked where the Main terminal was...I was in it...it made the Murphy Terminal (being torn down) look modern...

Reaction Score
Montpelier VT is pretty boring. The best city is just a short drive away from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom