Hartford Athletic | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic

Reaction Score
I like the colors, I sort of dig the name.

I might be able to get over the USL thing like I got over the IndyCar/CART thing.

More importantly I want to hear their plans for a youth academy to do their part in developing the game in CT and the US.

Reaction Score
Bruce LOVES to chat about his plans for the youth. Keep an eye out for a meet and greet with the ownership group.

Reaction Score
Is Hartford Athletic the new Hartford USL team's actual name, or ideally just the ownership group's name? If the former, not exactly the most eye catching or sounding brand or franchise name. On the other hand, maybe they're shooting for something as snooze-inducing as their opening friends and family news conference. Go HA! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is Hartford Athletic the new Hartford USL team's actual name, or ideally just the ownership group's name? If the former, not exactly the most eye catching or sounding brand or franchise name. On the other hand, maybe they're shooting for something as snooze-inducing as their opening friends and family news conference. :rolleyes:

It could work. I didn’t think Sporting KC would work but it caught on, and the old Wiz logo makes a cameo appearance each year on a retro jersey.

I think it’s good to stand out a little in branding, there is a reason why Sporting led the way in merch sales for many years and why Adidas made an exception and makes three kits a year for them.

I like it.

Reaction Score
Go HA!

Yup, HA could work as have stranger or more generic names. IMHO, it just doesn't jump off the page and sounds more like an ownership group name or worse a local fitness center. Without ever giving 2 hoots about the Whalers favorably or less so, I don't get using any whale, whalers, etc reference or the colors of the long ago hockey franchise.

Different times, sport, fan base, etc., but it's not my team, city, etc. For the sport, US national and professional soccer, and Hartford, ideally the team sells a lot of tickets, helps develop quality youth players, the club succeeds initially and for a long time, etc. Up HA!

Reaction Score
I'm indifferent to it, neither bad nor great - did they say if the club will have a nickname ala HCFC 'Colts'

Reaction Score
Go HA!

Yup, HA could work as have stranger or more generic names. IMHO, it just doesn't jump off the page and sounds more like an ownership group name or worse a local fitness center. Without ever giving 2 hoots about the Whalers favorably or less so, I don't get using any whale, whalers, etc reference or the colors of the long ago hockey franchise.

Different times, sport, fan base, etc., but it's not my team, city, etc. For the sport, US national and professional soccer, and Hartford, ideally the team sells a lot of tickets, helps develop quality youth players, the club succeeds initially and for a long time, etc. Up HA!

One snag.

If you’re a fan of HA.

Does that make you an Athletic Supporter?

Reaction Score
One snag. If you’re a fan of HA. Does that make you an Athletic Supporter?
Well, "Hartford Athletic Supporters" might grab some attention ... and sell some jerseys, t-shirts, etc far beyond Hartford or Connecticut. Challenging parental explanations with young kids, but ... nickname for a millenial supporters' group?

Reaction Score
SG name will be revealed soon-ish. It's much better than H.A.S. lol! ;)

Reaction Score
More green and blue? Are the people of Hartford really lacking in imagination?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like the name... I would have though one of the MLS clubs would have claimed "Athletic" or "AC" by now.

Reaction Score
Not going to be the Armory?
The "Armory" will be the name of the supporters section, not the SG itself. Much like Liverpool have "The Kop" and the Revs have "The Fort" - there will be supporters groups who occupy the Armory.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
10M in bonding to put lipstick on a crumbling pig for a minor league in a niche sport - sounds like CT.

Maybe we can get the busway extended there for a few 100M more dollars?

Reaction Score
10M in bonding to put lipstick on a crumbling pig for a minor league in a niche sport - sounds like CT.

The state has been trying to renovate the stadium for a while. It's used more by the community then it will be for the USL team. The team is also putting 10 mil into the stadium so I believe it's a 20 million renovation. Not ideal but if it allows the stadium to be used by young/high schools for another 20 years plus we get pro soccer that's a steal.

Reaction Score

Niche sport. That’s adorable. You’re clueless.

10M is a steal. There are at least a dozen cities right now that would seriously consider spending 200M+ if MLS gave them a franchise. That’s not including the 250M and higher franchise fee.

Reaction Score
The state has been trying to renovate the stadium for a while. It's used more by the community then it will be for the USL team. The team is also putting 10 mil into the stadium so I believe it's a 20 million renovation. Not ideal but if it allows the stadium to be used by young/high schools for another 20 years plus we get pro soccer that's a steal.

When you look at it unemotionally, it’s pretty much a cost containment deal.

Reaction Score
'Athletic' makes much more sense than ROYAL Salt Lake
Yup, yet not so sure Salt Lake's or similarly New Jersey's financially-incentivized brand names are compelling excuses for another bland name or unrelated branding. As much of a soccer lover as I am and as much as I wish the minor league USL franchise sells more tickets than anticipated, succeeds both initially and long term, and most selfishly develops some U.S. soccer talent which helps the US national team, I'll never get some U.S. Americans' and team owners' attractions to AC this, FA that, Athletic the other, etc. That said, in my humble warped mind some Hartford/CT millenials should lock in "Athletic Supporters", roll with jock strap logos, etc. ;)

Reaction Score

I read it's between $7-10M, and I think most of that goes towards actually buying the team and paying expansion fees, not necessarily Dillon.

Reaction Score
Still a good deal for the city and region regardless. Just truly hope the affiliation with the Revs is as minimal as I've heard it will be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom