Harper vs Lawson. | The Boneyard

Harper vs Lawson.

Reaction Score
Which college made the best hire and do you think Tennessee missed out on not pursuing Lawson. She has name recognition and would’ve been great for recruiting. Seems like Duke is beating Tennessee in the recruit market. Opinions?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
With the exception of the "transfer" issue, and 5th year
option for Covid....... I believe that it takes three recruiting
cycles to really see the true difference in program long
term success. Two good coaches with Traditions.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like the Harper hire. Lawson had never been a head coach. I think Harper will get Tennessee back to elite level.

Reaction Score
I like the Harper hire. Lawson had never been a head coach. I think Harper will get Tennessee back to elite level.
Possible. However I think Lawsons name recognition will help get “better” recruits. Half the battle is recruiting, plus some prefer a Duke education over Tennessee.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Possible. However I think Lawsons name recognition will help get “better” recruits. Half the battle is recruiting, plus some prefer a Duke education over Tennessee.
Yes recruiting will be important. Harper brought in a elite recruiter Samantha Williams. I think was a great move.

Reaction Score
And Kara gets to announce the USA Olympic basketball games now that she's finished coaching 3 on 3. At least one Olympic sport I can watch and enjoy. She still knows how to call a game, and report what is really going on. She still will report when a team is not playing up to par.

Reaction Score
I’m not a Lady Vols fan, and they missed the mark in not going after Kara hard! Making her an offer she could not refuse. I don’t know if Harper can bring Tennessee back to prominence. I feel like Duke will hit the big stage before Tennessee. Mind you nothing scientific here just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
How so?

Like I said it was my sense. Comments on the Vol board. There should have been a lot of chatter about her and yet there was surprisingly little. She should have been prominent among the candidates and since she wasn't I interpreted it as her quietly saying "not interested" and ESPN leaving her out of the conversations.
Duke is a different atmosphere from Tennessee. Private vs state school for one. Like I said, it was a sense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Or did Tennessee make the wrong choice?
Who would want to coach at Tennessee. Most of the fans seem vile about anybody and anything that isn't SEC. Kara saw what else is out there, and Tennessee was not it.

Reaction Score
Who would want to coach at Tennessee. Most of the fans seem vile about anybody and anything that isn't SEC. Kara saw what else is out there, and Tennessee was not it.
Storied program. The challenge of bringing them back to prominence. The chance to follow a legend (Pat) yet put your own touch and spin? Some would love this. Whatever you say about those rabid fans, they are if nothing loyal to the program and would be loyal to any coach who could get the program headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I think its tough to follow in the footsteps of a legendary coach at a blue blood program. Its a lot to deal with. Some welcome the pressure/expectation, others prefer to go about building something special and going about their own path.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I can see a difference. In the time Harper has cached at Tennessee. From when Holly was coach.

Reaction Score
Saw many posts on VolNation and other fan sites about Kara as a coaching option.
After Holly, appeared the next coach needed HC experience. AD’s purse strings were tight based on past failed football coaching and AD buyouts. TN played it safe with picking Kellie.
Heard TN also couldn’t afford Kara. Anyone know how much Kara makes per year? Duke a private institutions so maybe not public to confirm if less than Kellie.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Saw many posts on VolNation and other fan sites about Kara as a coaching option.
After Holly, appeared the next coach needed HC experience. AD’s purse strings were tight based on past failed football coaching and AD buyouts. TN played it safe with picking Kellie.
Heard TN also couldn’t afford Kara. Anyone know how much Kara makes per year? Duke a private institutions so maybe not public to confirm if less than Kellie.

Not sure what she is making... but her predecessor was making around 1.1 million a year. I would guess maybe half of that at the most. Whatever it is... if we have a winning squad this season... I'll add in a few homemade fried bologna sandwiches, a bottle of apple cider, and a box of donuts to whatever her salary is.

Reaction Score
So many i heard , we heard lol Kara got interviewed but the AD at the time from what "I heard" wanted a more homegrown Pat style person .........Some are happy some are content from what "I heard" lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom