OT: - Happy Paczki Day to Anna | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Happy Paczki Day to Anna

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
not sure why I came back into this thread.... but now I'm hungry for a doughy pastry :( Lemme exit stage left

out.gif

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
@triadukefan made a good choice with the ever comical Sponge Bob. However, I always think of a feline Shakespearean first.

Reaction Score
For those of Husky Nation who are down South, the Publix grocery store chain carries paczki in three different varieties - filled with either custard, apple, or raspberry. They come 4 to a box; the boxes are red with white lettering.

Not all of the Publix stores have them. I find that the smaller neighborhood Publixes are more likely to have them. And it's only for this time of year.

They are absolutely delicious! The dough is richer and denser than a regular jelly donut. If you'd normally eat 2 jelly donuts per serving, you'd find 1 paczki quite filling. Raspberry is my flavor of choice! ?

Publix also has king cakes!
If they are as you describe and my normal donut order were two, I'd probably substitute four of those paczkis! OK, maybe just 3 (me watchin' my diet bein' all health conscious and all), one of each flavor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
@triadukefan made a good choice with the ever comical Sponge Bob. However, I always think of a feline Shakespearean first.

Ha I’m surprised Falwell never vituperated the highly suave and stylish Snagglepuss , who makes the Teletubbies look like meathead jocks by comparison.

Reaction Score
I had intended to make beignets yesterday, but work got in the way. They're New Orleans doughnuts, kind of flat. They're not specifically associated with Mardi Gras, but it would be a good excuse to make them.
My Volga German ancestors make grebble, somewhat akin to beignets, though less rich. I continue to make them for Christmas morning.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
My Volga German ancestors make grebble, somewhat akin to beignets, though less rich. I continue to make them for Christmas morning.
There was a bakery owned by a German family in our little suburban town outside Pittsburgh. They made delicious things, and one of them was called "Kreble". I think they are the same thing?

Reaction Score
There was a bakery owned by a German family in our little suburban town outside Pittsburgh. They made delicious things, and one of them was called "Kreble". I think they are the same thing?
Yes, there are various spellings and various recipes with slightly different ingredients. Mine is very long, handed down from a German Volga woman born there, and the best of many I have tried. I make them four or five times a year—one batch makes enough for a week. You keep finished dough in fridge and take out just what you need for the day, unless my granddaughter is here, then I could go through a batch very quickly.

Reaction Score
For those who, like me, love pictures and recipes:

View attachment 64749
Grebble or under any of its various spellings doesn’t look like this. This picture looks like French beignet. If this is actually made from a grebble recipe, it was corrupted into this form for commercial purposes. The result would be too thick. Grebble is made from a soft pliable dough (I can provide recipe) that must be refrigerated six hours or overnight. You break off a part of the dough slightly hardened by fridge, cut into approximately four inch rectangles with two slits, pull corners through slits, and drop into hot oil. This exposes more sides, resulting in a lighter pastry. It only takes a minute to puff up and you flip to reach golden color on all sides. You can then shake it in a paper bag with sugar.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Grebble or under any of its various spellings doesn’t look like this. This picture looks like French beignet. If this is actually made from a grebble recipe, it was corrupted into this form for commercial purposes. Grebble is made from a soft pliable dough (I can provide recipe) that must be refrigerated six hours or overnight. You break off a part of the dough slightly hardened by fridge, cut into approximately four inch rectangles with two slits, pull corners through slits, and drop into hot oil. This exposes more sides, resulting in a lighter pastry. It only takes a minute to puff up and you flip to reach golden color on all sides. You can then shake it in a paper bag with sugar.
Does this pic come closer?

1613684768155.png

Reaction Score
Here is a picture of grebble I made at Christmas two years ago (COVID interrupted this year). You need to click on pic to get full shot.

Attachments

• 9F6F6C00-AA9C-4EEA-BE8B-1EBDFF06BAD2.jpeg
    9F6F6C00-AA9C-4EEA-BE8B-1EBDFF06BAD2.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was in The Fresh Market... shopping for healthy food.... fruits, vegetables, tuna... and on my way to the cashier... I decided to make a short cut through the bakery section.. just to look around. Lo and behold... I looked at one table... and it had boxes of Paczki's. I was thinking.. I dont need any extra calories, I should leave them in the store. Then I thought.. WWBS (what would the boneyard say) and decided to go ahead an purchase a box of 4... with the Bavarian Creme filling. Very tasty ?

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I was in The Fresh Market... shopping for healthy food.... fruits, vegetables, tuna... and on my way to the cashier... I decided to make a short cut through the bakery section.. just to look around. Lo and behold... I looked at one table... and it had boxes of Paczki's. I was thinking.. I dont need any extra calories, I should leave them in the store. Then I thought.. WWBS (what would the boneyard say) and decided to go ahead an purchase a box of 4... with the Bavarian Creme filling. Very tasty ?
It was the fanly thing to do. As I was the guy who started the whole paczki thing, I feel relieved that you liked them. Way to take one for the team, @triaddukefan . Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned in my post on grebble that the jelly filled round pastries shown are usually called Berliners, a version of Bismarcks. True grebble are lighter with more area exposed with no filling. A Berliner is just the German version or name for Polish Packzi. There is also a Czech version that is denser.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned in my post on grebble that the jelly filled round pastries shown are usually called Berliners, a version of Bismarcks. True grebble are lighter with more area exposed with no filling. A Berliner is just the German version or name for Polish Packzi. There is also a Czech version that is denser.
When John F. Kennedy gave his famous speech in Berlin he surprised some native speakers. He spoke in German and said "Ich bin ein Berliner." He was attempting to declare his bond with the beleaguered city, but literally declared that he was a jelly doughnut! Considered one of the greatest speeches of modern history, the faux pas was quickly forgiven. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom