OT: - Happy Paczki Day to Anna | The Boneyard

OT: Happy Paczki Day to Anna

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Today as we celebrate Fat Tuesday in the U S, in Poland they celebrate Paczki Day. A paczki is a filled doughnut and in Western Pennsylvania where I grew up, the local Polish community celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday and Lent with these delicious treats. Many local churches and bakeries made the treat for this day. In New Orleans they make king cakes for Mardi Gras, but in Pittsburgh and surrounding mill towns it was paczki. Quite delicious and with a sense of community, I hope someone in Connecticut hooks Anna and the ladies up !

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Today as we celebrate Fat Tuesday in the U S, in Ploand they celebrate Paczki Day. A paczki is a filled doughnut and in Western Pennsylvania where I grew up, the local Polish community celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday and Lent with these delicious treats. Many local churches and bakeries made the treat for this day. In New Orleans they make king cakes for Mardi Gras, but in Pittsburgh and surrounding mill towns it was paczki. Quite delicious and with a sense of community, I hope someone in Connecticut hooks Anna and the ladies up !
Does triaddukefan know about this?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I would have to believe that somewhere in New Britain there is a paczki with Anna's name on it.

ON EDIT: As I suspected, there are at least 2 bakeries in New Britain that advertise Paczki. Also, in Vernon, a short 20 minute drive from Storrs is the Unicorn Polish Bakery and Deli. They probably have it too.

1613491185724.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those of Husky Nation who are down South, the Publix grocery store chain carries paczki in three different varieties - filled with either custard, apple, or raspberry. They come 4 to a box; the boxes are red with white lettering.

Not all of the Publix stores have them. I find that the smaller neighborhood Publixes are more likely to have them. And it's only for this time of year.

They are absolutely delicious! The dough is richer and denser than a regular jelly donut. If you'd normally eat 2 jelly donuts per serving, you'd find 1 paczki quite filling. Raspberry is my flavor of choice! ?

Publix also has king cakes!

Reaction Score
You can find packzi in many bakeries and several of the grocery chains this time of year. The polish is strong in Nutmegger land.

The small grocery store I use has had them on a table as you enter the store. for 2 weeks. My health issues force me to walk past them and it isn't easy. :(

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
11:30 pm. ... anybody know of any all-night paczkiries in Eastern Connecticut?
?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
yes New Britain has a high populous of Polish, Bristol French and Waterbury Irish and Italian.
My family was part of the Bristol French. I didn't know there was a collection of French there until recently.

Reaction Score
While the Boneyard was down today, decided to go grocery shopping at the BigY (North Haven), my store of choice. They had Paczki's pre-packed of 6 but I like to order at the bakery counter. To my surprise they had none, reason yesterday was last day until next year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had intended to make beignets yesterday, but work got in the way. They're New Orleans doughnuts, kind of flat. They're not specifically associated with Mardi Gras, but it would be a good excuse to make them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I had intended to make beignets yesterday, but work got in the way. They're New Orleans doughnuts, kind of flat. They're not specifically associated with Mardi Gras, but it would be a good excuse to make them.
I found fascinating this history of the beignet, aka the official doughnut of the state of Louisiana:

Reaction Score
Oh geez - making me miss NOLA. Are there any WCBB final fours scheduled for there? Absolutely the best place to hold a FF!

I found fascinating this history of the beignet, aka the official doughnut of the state of Louisiana:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There is a shop about .5 mi from our house that opened last spring . It is called Beignets and Lattes. Poor timing in the midst of the pandemic, but they are struggling by. They make theirs with choux dough, but I prefer the yeast ones.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There is a shop about .5 mi from our house that opened last spring . It is called Beignets and Lattes. Poor timing in the midst of the pandemic, but they are struggling by. They make theirs with choux dough, but I prefer the yeast ones.
Beignets and lattes. What a siren song of a combination. It's probably a good thing I don't live within a mile (or within 10 miles) of said shop.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
All these decades of cooking and I’d never heard of choux dough. I think I’ll be making gougeres whenever the weather passes and I can get some gruyere or emmenthaler.

Plebe

Reaction Score
All these decades of cooking and I’d never heard of choux dough. I think I’ll be making gougeres whenever the weather passes and I can get some gruyere or emmenthaler.
Perhaps we can all draw some choux inspiration from none other than the great one herself, Julia Child.

From an article about pâte à choux:

Making choux isn’t exactly hard, although it does require some elbow grease. In Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child—ever cheery, of course—calls it “one of those quick, easy, and useful preparations…which every cook should know how to make.”​

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Perhaps we can all draw some choux inspiration from none other than the great one herself, Julia Child.

From an article about pâte à choux:

Making choux isn’t exactly hard, although it does require some elbow grease. In Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child—ever cheery, of course—calls it “one of those quick, easy, and useful preparations…which every cook should know how to make.”​

Hmm. . . The puffs recipe linked from that article looks a lot like Yorkshire-pudding-type popovers.

The stuff sounds easy enough to make, although my arthritic hands aren’t crazy about all the beating necessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom