OT: - Happy National French Fries Day | The Boneyard

OT: Happy National French Fries Day

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought about making this thread, but didnt want to be labeled a glutton. :oops:

In terms of national fast food chains....... McDonalds is still the king of fries.

In terms of semi-kinda fast food....... Five Guys Reigns supreme.

The key to a good french fry is it much be able to taste great even without the help of any condiments. But if you are using condiments... you gotta have either Tartar Sauce or Thousand Island Dressing to use as a dip... along with ketchup.

Reaction Score
I thought about making this thread, but didnt want to be labeled a glutton. :oops:

In terms of national fast food chains.. McDonalds is still the king of fries.

In terms of semi-kinda fast food.. Five Guys Reigns supreme.

The key to a good french fry is it much be able to taste great even without the help of any condiments. But if you are using condiments... you gotta have either Tartar Sauce or Thousand Island Dressing to use as a dip... along with ketchup.

I prefer in-n-out burger over all but since I'm an east coaster I'll take Five Guys, Chic-fil-a, White Castle over any other establishment.

Tartar sauce and Thousand island????? Yuck !!! lol I really like hot sauce and ketchup with my fries but to each is own I guess.

Reaction Score
My wife is Frrench Canadian, so her preference is poutine, which is hot fries with cheese curds in top and gravy drizzled over it all. As for me, I think that's yuk. I just like fries with salt.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I prefer in-n-out burger over all but since I'm an east coaster I'll take Five Guys, Chic-fil-a, White Castle over any other establishment.

Tartar sauce and Thousand island????? Yuck !!! lol I really like hot sauce and ketchup with my fries but to each is own I guess.

Anything mayo based is good.... i started with mayo as a kid.... moved up to ranch dressing...... then discovered the joyous combination of hot fried potatoes and tartar sauce in my 20s. Maybe a decade ago... I was in a diner getting some food to go... and I saw this guy at the counter dipping his fries in Thousand Island dressing. A light bulb went off in my head.... and decided he must be on to something good. Ive been hooked on that ever since.

I dont get to enjoy tartar sauce that much. Most fish places give you 2 small containers of tartar sauce with your takeout dinner. I always ask for 6.... even if i have to pay extra. I save the extra tartar sauce to use later during the week for whenever I eat fries. One oddity is... I only use these condiments on regular fries.... those natural cut fries like Wendy's, Cookout... I just eat them with ketchup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Five Guys fries! Definitely. In peanut oil, and you can eat the peanuts.

gallery-1470434012-7025300923-e1869e29d8-o.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

You're our resident gourmet. Or is it gourmand? ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're our resident gourmet. Or is it gourmand? ;)

Gourmand :oops:

That Five Guys Burger and fries looks tasty...... havent been there in ages. I love the fact that they give you so many fries.... enough to snack on on the drive back home.. and more than enough to feast on once you are sitting comfortable at home.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
"Duck Fat" in Portland, ME. Belgian fries that are fried in duck fat. My son told me that the Poutine was not to be missed, but I was skeptical, I'm just not a poutine guy... seems like a terrible thing to do to a good french fry... but I tried it. OMG!! Duck fat fried potatoes with duck gravy, cheese curds and chives... Incredibly tasty!! I would eat that for every meal, right up until the fatal heart attack. :p

Here's the Duck Fat Menu.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gourmand :oops:

That Five Guys Burger and fries looks tasty. havent been there in ages. I love the fact that they give you so many fries.... enough to snack on on the drive back home.. and more than enough to feast on once you are sitting comfortable at home.
I live about 3-4 miles from the original Five Guys and 10 blocks from what they are now calling their flagship restaurant in Old Town Alexandria.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Poutine can be awesome or it can be crap. In Quebec it's usually great.

If anyone knows Leunig's in Burlington, they have poutine on the brunch menu. They serve it with a bit of a twist. Fries, cheese curds, gravy topped with a chicken fried steak. You can also get it with a couple of eggs on top of the steak.

My favorite fries are the ones made from real potatoes, lots of salt and a good dousing with malt vinegar.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

You have nailed it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anything mayo based is good.... i started with mayo as a kid.... moved up to ranch dressing. then discovered the joyous combination of hot fried potatoes and tartar sauce in my 20s. Maybe a decade ago... I was in a diner getting some food to go... and I saw this guy at the counter dipping his fries in Thousand Island dressing. A light bulb went off in my head.... and decided he must be on to something good. Ive been hooked on that ever since.

I dont get to enjoy tartar sauce that much. Most fish places give you 2 small containers of tartar sauce with your takeout dinner. I always ask for 6.... even if i have to pay extra. I save the extra tartar sauce to use later during the week for whenever I eat fries. One oddity is... I only use these condiments on regular fries.... those natural cut fries like Wendy's, Cookout... I just eat them with ketchup.
My wife insists on Wendy's fries so she can dip them in her chocolate Frosty.

Reaction Score

Your wife has very good taste sir! Nothing better then some great fries dipped in a milkshake :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your wife has very good taste sir! Nothing better then some great fries dipped in a milkshake :D
You guys would get along then. For me a french fry is a french fry and a shake is a shake. The two should never interact. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You guys would get along then. For me a french fry is a french fry and a shake is a shake. The two should never interact. :cool:
As Samuel Clemens said, "Never the Twain shall meet." :D

Reaction Score
Heart attack in a cup, but what a way to go.

I know you are sorta kidding, Nick, but a recent food study reported by the Wash Post concluded that 2 servings of ff's each weeks reduced your life-expectancy by HALF. That's an astounding number. People frequently say that they'd die if they couldn't eat a favorite food. Looks as if you'll die now if you DO eat a favorite food. (PS/Went to 5 Guys for lunch today; skipped the fries. I feel both righteous and deprived. Darn.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
An honorable mention goes to Arby's and their loaded curly fries. A bowl of Seasoned Curly fries... topped with a cheddar cheese sauce.... shredded cheddar cheese, bacon strips... and a drizzle of a tangy ranch dressing :):):):):):) They are FABULOUS !!!!!!!!

I heard of people liking that combo..... and was gonna try it out last weekend.... but Wendy's was closed on the night I was gonna try it. I may try it tonight... if not... maybe tomorrow.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know you are sorta kidding, Nick, but a recent food study reported by the Wash Post concluded that 2 servings of ff's each weeks reduced your life-expectancy by HALF. That's an astounding number. People frequently say that they'd die if they couldn't eat a favorite food. Looks as if you'll die now if you DO eat a favorite food. (PS/Went to 5 Guys for lunch today; skipped the fries. I feel both righteous and deprived. Darn.)

We aint got time for that kinda talk in this thread

555322240.gif

Reaction Score
My vote is Five Guys, especially the small, crispy/crunchy "burnt" pieces at the bottom of the cup/bag.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Considering the amount of Micky D fries consumed annually we must have all died several years ago.

Google search McDonald's fries to find a typical crock of sheet about the content of the fries. My God! We're all gonna' die!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah, if eating french fries twice a week was going to shorten our lives by half, we'd all have been dead before age 40, considering how many french fries teenagers tend to eat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom