Happy birthday Donovan | The Boneyard

Happy birthday Donovan

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They mentioned last night that today is his 19th birthday.

Looking back, when I was 19 I was a junior at a vocational high school, with plans of joining a long line (Canadian side of my family) of carpenters/builders.

Seeing as though I'm bored, and still haven't gotten to sleep since yesterday, what were you doing when you were 19?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They mentioned last night that today is his 19th birthday.

Looking back, when I was 19 I was a junior at a vocational high school, with plans of joining a long line (Canadian side of my family) of carpenters/builders.

Seeing as though I'm bored, and still haven't gotten to sleep since yesterday, what were you doing when you were 19?

I was chanting “one more year” to Caron Butler as a UConn freshman in 2001-2002.

Reaction Score
I was a student at Uconn. If I wasn't studying, we'd be playing setback. If I wasn't playing setback, I'd be studying. Oh and mix in attending basketball games at the Fieldhouse this time of year. I remember sleeping overnight in the Fieldhouse corridor then awakening in the line for tickets to the Garden. We beat the Johnnies then lost to Utah that year in the NIT.

Then back to business as usual, playing cards, studying, going to Spiros for drinking and waking up mid day buying greasy burgers and fries at Woodys' bus across from the Frats. Great memories.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
College sophomore in a dormitory single room, with my first steady girlfriend sometimes staying over, and getting stoned & falling asleep to whichever side of "Electric Ladyland" I chose first on the majority of nights that she didn't.

Reaction Score
I celebrated my 19th birthday in 1984 as a Sophomore at UConn in the Jungle. I vaguely recall a trip to the Augora Ballroom in West Hartford to see the band Zebra. I had a great roommate, I was eventually in his wedding party. We attended games at the Old Field House and the Civic Center. Loved living in the Jungle. Great times.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Wow, ancient history for me. I was a sophmore as well living in Lafayette in Towers, trying to figure out my next major ( I had 3 by the time I graduated), partying in the quad on Thursday nights, going to ROTC for beer fests, Rapps and other assorted bars (it was legal for us to drink at 18), evrey soccer and men's basketball games, streaking in the quad, the CCC at the student union and a coupe of girls dorms .... and trying to pass my courses.

Reaction Score
Wow, ancient history for me. I was a sophmore as well living in Lafayette in Towers, trying to figure out my next major ( I had 3 by the time I graduated), partying in the quad on Thursday nights, going to ROTC for beer fests, Rapps and other assorted bars (it was legal for us to drink at 18), evrey soccer and men's basketball games, streaking in the quad, the CCC at the student union and a coupe of girls dorms .... and trying to pass my courses.
streaking will ferrell GIF

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I was miserable in the engineering program at the University of Lowell. 8 am classes 4 days a week, chem lab from 2:30-5:30 Friday afternoons. Basically in limbo while I tried to get accepted to transfer to UConn's engineering school. Worked out in the end.

Reaction Score
just finished my freshman year at UConn living in Lafayette probably doing much of this with you

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Anybody else in the bleachers with me on the 1974 night when streaking came to Fenway Park?

Only one guy went onto the field, and security got to him quickly, but for several innings there were various preparatory disrobings throughout the stadium, as well as some group mooning. It was all fun & games until the first woman lifted up her shirt, at which point things shut down pretty quickly.

The following day, The Boston Globe gave super brief mention to to the episode in reporting the game's result, next to a separate article that announced a clear policy that no such behavior would be tolerated and arrests would be made if anybody violated the policy.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
College Soph at a smallish Illinois school. Going to class, playing pickup hoops twice a day(lunchtime run was the best), then heading back to my frat for partying and music. We also played a lot of games in the house. Wiffleball with a nerf ball, indoor soccer with an empty plastic milk carton, bowling down the hallway. I went to school with zero intention of joining a frat but when I got out to school the Illinois drinking age was 21 when CT was still 18. I like to drink so it made sense to join a house. I was a Theta XI. I think there was/is one at UConn.

Reaction Score
Was a sophomore at UConn. Men's BB games in fieldhouse sitting under east basket, football games on freebie hill now the south parking garage, soccer games with no stands, "what's the color of ? Brown!" was a good cheer, ROTC beerfests, too many Rathskellar runs in student union, no meal plan on weekends so Universal Foods for groceries and cooking on 2 burner hotplate in the laundry room, Irma's food truck for cheese burg grinders, toga parties, and quite a bit of pot smoke.

Reaction Score
Freshman at BU, probably played intramural hoops that night with my dorm team.

But the next night--and I looked this up--went to Northeastern v. BU at the Case Center. Our coach was Slick Rick Pitino, and Northeastern's was our beloved Jim Calhoun. Funny how both went on to greater things soon after.

Since nobody gave a damn about BU basketball, you could walk down and sit right behind the benches. We used to give Pitino nonstop grief; I remember one night my roommate telling him he was too young and stupid-looking to be a head coach.

I also remember UConn came through that year. That was the Karl Hobbs/Vern Giscombe team. Almost no BU fans in the gym, but lots rooting for UConn (including me). UConn won a close one, I looked that up too.

40 years ago, damn. Can you imagine UConn today, playing a non-conference road game at BU's Case Center?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
College sophomore in a dormitory single room, with my first steady girlfriend sometimes staying over, and getting stoned & falling asleep to whichever side of "Electric Ladyland" I chose first on the majority of nights that she didn't.
Pretty much my exact answer, but it was a double. Watson Hall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom