Hana Muhl (Nika's sister) commits to Illinois | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hana Muhl (Nika's sister) commits to Illinois

Reaction Score
I'd have loved to have seen her at UConn, but I hope she's happy at Urbanna.
I can understand that she wants to be at a different Univ. than Nika, but it is a curious choice in a way. I mean, Illinois hasn't made a ripple in women's basketball. Maybe this is how they begin. South Florida has built some strong teams with players from abroad, and Indiana seems a growing force in the big ten. Oh well. Ours is not to reason why...but I am interested. Anyone know more?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Their coach was one of the best ever DIII coaches. I believe if she can start getting better recruits the program will get much better.
I'm on record as being a huge fan of coach Fahey, but I believe this will be a put up or shut up season for her. I can't see the AD, as much as she was "his hire" from Washington U, being able to justify keeping her around after a 5th season of no significant improvement in results.

Reaction Score
Their coach was one of the best ever DIII coaches. I believe if she can start getting better recruits the program will get much better.
Washington University has about 15000 students, whereas a typical D3 school has about 2000. The University Division D3 schools have a huge recruiting advantage over everyone else.

Reaction Score
Washington University has about 15000 students, whereas a typical D3 school has about 2000. The University Division D3 schools have a huge recruiting advantage over everyone else.
That would make sense if D3 schools offered scholarships.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have an uncle who was an agricultural engineering professor researching soil erosion at UI. He enjoyed living, teaching and doing research there very much.
Yeah, I've known loads of people who went there. I can't think of anyone who didn't love it there, although my sample is mostly from the hard sciences, in which UIUC is really strong. Hanna can get a great education there if she wants to.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had no idea WashU was DIII. Not only 15k students, last I knew they had at least one Nobel Prize winner, too.

I can understand that she wants to be at a different Univ. than Nika, but it is a curious choice in a way. I mean, Illinois hasn't made a ripple in women's basketball. Maybe this is how they begin. South Florida has built some strong teams with players from abroad, and Indiana seems a growing force in the big ten. Oh well. Ours is not to reason why...but I am interested. Anyone know more?
Don't know more, but as above, maybe her choice isn't all about basketball.

Reaction Score
That would make sense if D3 schools offered scholarships.
They have a much larger student population, plus a highly prestigious academic reputation. Plus, they do offer scholarships; just not for athletics. Their ability to offer aid far exceeds that of a typical D3 school.

Reaction Score
They have a much larger student population, plus a highly prestigious academic reputation. Plus, they do offer scholarships; just not for athletics. Their ability to offer aid far exceeds that of a typical D3 school.
That conference also has Brandeis, Case Western Reserve, NYU, Emory, Case Western, University of Rochester and the University of Chicago. That is second only to the Ivies in terms of academic prestige. A great place for a coach.

Reaction Score
Illinois picked up a transfer from Michigan State, Kendall Bostic. Was impressed with what she did with the amount of playing time she got last season. She had a good game against Iowa during the BIG 10 tourney.

Haven't reviewed the Illinois roster. Some interesting pieces though.

Reaction Score
I can't think of many programs that don't need better recruits to get better.... :p

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I can't think of many programs that don't need better recruits to get better.... :p
Yes, yes, yes, so true. Remember this though, there was one program that got better recruits and still did not get better. Fortunately, they recently got a better coach. Their uniform color is orange.

Reaction Score
Nancy Fahey won five D III NCs, and four Runner's up, she gave up an amazing run in D III (84.7% winning percentage was second only to Geno at the time) to move up to D I, and has not found the key to winning at Illinios in the Big Ten. I was hoping she could start beating Maryland by now.... Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That conference also has Brandeis, Case Western Reserve, NYU, Emory, Case Western, University of Rochester and the University of Chicago. That is second only to the Ivies in terms of academic prestige. A great place for a coach.
Very strong in research prestige. Would be interesting to compare them to the NESCAC (Amherst, Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Connecticut College, Hamilton, Middlebury, Trinity, Tufts, Wesleyan, Williams) in terms of undergraduate instruction prestige though.

Reaction Score
Very strong in research prestige. Would be interesting to compare them to the NESCAC (Amherst, Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Connecticut College, Hamilton, Middlebury, Trinity, Tufts, Wesleyan, Williams) in terms of undergraduate instruction prestige though.
No question that one is oriented toward graduate education and the other undergraduate. Very good point.

Reaction Score
Nancy Fahey won five D III NCs, and four Runner's up, she gave up an amazing run in D III (84.7% winning percentage was second only to Geno at the time) to move up to D I, and has not found the key to winning at Illinios in the Big Ten. I was hoping she could start beating Maryland by now.... Head bang
Teresa Grentz was a legendary coach and she had fair to middling success at Illinois. There is no winning history at all in that program.

Reaction Score
I think some are assuming an equivalency here. Hanna obviously has some of her sister's traits, but is three inches shorter and probably not quite as good at the things that are similar. Regardless of the non basketball differences, a school like Illinois could be about right for her. Getting a Div 1 basketball offer from a Big 10 school for a player from Croatia is a big deal, but it doesn't necessarily mean she turned down Uconn or any other top program. Maybe somebody else has more info, but I am not aware of her getting the same level of interest as Nika. Remember Nika had schools like Louisville and Oregon on her short list.

Since Geno can't schedule a game close to Nika's hometown in her senior year, maybe a Muhl match with Illinois would be a good alternative.

Reaction Score
I think some are assuming an equivalency here. Hanna obviously has some of her sister's traits, but is three inches shorter and probably not quite as good at the things that are similar. Regardless of the non basketball differences, a school like Illinois could be about right for her. Getting a Div 1 basketball offer from a Big 10 school for a player from Croatia is a big deal, but it doesn't necessarily mean she turned down Uconn or any other top program. Maybe somebody else has more info, but I am not aware of her getting the same level of interest as Nika. Remember Nika had schools like Louisville and Oregon on her short list.

Since Geno can't schedule a game close to Nika's hometown in her senior year, maybe a Muhl match with Illinois would be a good alternative.
The team is allowed to schedule a summer European tour every four years, if I’m not mistaken. Taking that tour in Croatia would certainly be an option.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
(Thread drift alert!)

I know several folks who went to small-to-mid-sized universities (especially Brandeis) who thought the instruction was quite good. I'd certainly like to hear from other folks out there.

That said, I went to a NESCAC college and to graduate school at a mid-sized research university with a pretty good reputation. There are two overarching differences I observed in addition to the different foci (graduate vs. undergraduate). The first is that even at a highly selective university, it was quite possible to skate through without working that hard. Not so at the small college. The second was that I thought the university prepared undergrads for a career much better than the college. The college was more rigorous in what it taught, but that learning was really pretty focused on the academic rather than the practical.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Hanna picks U of Illinois, I am happy for her. I'm sure she will help Illinois I just can't get over why so many on the BY think she would be the best fit as a Husky. Who would she replace on our recruiting list? If she were to be a Husky she would probably be on the bench in her sisters shadow. I think she chose her own path and I hope it's the right one for her.

Reaction Score
(Thread drift alert!)

I know several folks who went to small-to-mid-sized universities (especially Brandeis) who thought the instruction was quite good. I'd certainly like to hear from other folks out there.

That said, I went to a NESCAC college and to graduate school at a mid-sized research university with a pretty good reputation. There are two overarching differences I observed in addition to the different foci (graduate vs. undergraduate). The first is that even at a highly selective university, it was quite possible to skate through without working that hard. Not so at the small college. The second was that I thought the university prepared undergrads for a career much better than the college. The college was more rigorous in what it taught, but that learning was really pretty focused on the academic rather than the practical.
Sometimes "academic" is " practical". I trust that Hana will get a good educational
foundation (academic) and an "learning" experience (practical) of BIG 10 WBB!
Let the games begin. I plan to follow The Fighting Illini and Vandy ( go Shea!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom